Thread: 7.0.426.000 Anti-spyware scan hangs and ZA-SS shuts down when anti-spyware is "skipped".

bigmouse Guest

Default 7.0.426.000 Anti-spyware scan hangs and ZA-SS shuts down when anti-spyware is "skipped".

I recently updated to 7.0.426.000 internet security suite on WinXP SP2 box and now have this problem:
    When running anti-spyware scan the anti-spyware scanner hangs at 53% on a file: C:\system volume information\catalog.wci\propstor.bk2

If I select skip the anti-spyware scan, the whole zone alarm application does not responding shuts down. Restart zonealarm and anti-spyware restarts the scan automatically and the problem repeats. Restart PC and Zone alarm restarts without anti-spyware actively scanning.
    If I try another anti-spyware scan it will hang again although I have seen a different file in the same folder cause the hang.

An update of Anti-virus and anti-spyware definitions did not fix problem.

I did not have this problem with the prior 7.0.408.000 release.

So here is the question:
    Why does ZA hang and how do I fix this problem.

Thanks.

"bigmouse"

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

mefordham Guest

Default Re: 7.0.426.000 Anti-spyware scan hangs + ZA-SS shuts down when anti-spyware is "skipped".

I was having exactly the same problem - then ran the scan in administrator account - worked ok, but found win32.Trojan.Downloader.VB.bou which ZA then quarantined, and as a result I have lost Windows Live Messenger. However, ZA now scans fine in Limited Account and does not hang. Don't know what will happen when I reinstall Messenger.

hammernu Guest

Default Re: 7.0.426.000 Anti-spyware scan hangs + ZA-SS shuts down when anti-spyware is "skipped".

Don't know if you're still reading this, but you don't have to reinstall Messenger. Simply restore win32.Trojan.Downloader.VB.bou from quarantine
    and the next time ZA finds it, choose the option to always ignore (or something like that).

findley Guest

bigmouse and mefordham,
    If your scans are hanging on the exact same file C:\system volume information\catalog.wci\propstor.bk2
    suggest you both report this to technical support at this linkhttp://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp
    Also please post back your results
    Regards,Findley

Message Edited by Findley on 11-29-2007 07:15 PM

Thread Information