Thread: New to the forum may I ask a basic question ZAP/Antivirus please?

paulwm Guest

Default New to the forum may I ask a basic question ZAP/Antivirus please?

Hi
    I don't really know much about security issues however, I have Zone Alarm Pro running on my system. I also use Mail Washer Pro. My Norton Antivirus which came pre-installed on my PC has recently expired so should I add the ZoneAlarm antivirus instead of updating Norton or does ZAPro cover me?
    Thankyou

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

tasman Guest

Default Re: New to the forum may I ask a basic question ZAP/Antivirus please?

paulwm, Zone Alarm Pro is a firewall so you will need to have a antivirus installed along with your ZA proTasman

paulwm Guest

Thanyou - I thought so but had to check!

tasman Guest

Your welcome

prof_fate Guest

<blockquote><hr>paulwm wrote:
    Hi
    I don't really know much about security issues however, I have Zone Alarm Pro running on my system. I also use Mail Washer Pro. My Norton Antivirus which came pre-installed on my PC has recently expired so should I add the ZoneAlarm antivirus instead of updating Norton or does ZAPro cover me?
    Thankyou

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro

<hr></blockquote>ZA Pro is a Good Firewall Choice, But you will need a Seperate Anit-Virus..
    But if you Choose ZA Anti-Virus you will Need to Uninstall ZAPro, as ALL of the 4 ZA Versions of Zone Alarm include a Firewall and They will not Co-Exist..
    <hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>
    ---------------------------------------
    Here is My Configuration:
    Operating System: Windows XP SP2 Home with IE7 MS Outlook 2003
    HP Pavilion - Intel Pentium IV 3.0 GHz 2GB DDR2

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:930787412
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200711.2905
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

paulwm Guest

Now I'm confused! Before you posted this reply I had just purchased Zone Alarm anti-virus. I came up against the message

Warning! The product you are installing - Zone Alarm Anti-Virus is a downgrade from Zone Alarm Pro that is currently installed on your computer.By installing Zone Alarm Anti-Virus you will lose product functionality.

So can I
    uninstall ZAP then install ZA anti-virus then reinstall ZAP?

If not then surely (according to the comparison table),
    there is a gap in the range of Zone Alarm defence products ?

Cheers!

Hi!yes, some functionality in ZA PRO are not in ZA AV. You can't install ZAPRO over ZAAV or vice versa.A product that have both ZA PRO and ZA AV funcionality is ZA Security Suite.You can ask customer support for a refund of ZA AV and more directly to ZASS. Or just stay with ZA AV.For a ZA product comparison see here:http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...comparison.jspCheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

prof_fate Guest

Thank you for your Reply..You have overlooked this section of my previous message..
    &quot;But if you Choose ZA Anti-Virus you will Need to Uninstall ZAPro, as ALL of the 4 ZA Versions of Zone Alarm include a Firewall and They will not Co-Exist..
    <hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. " <hr>You can not install two versions of Zone Alarm on the same computer, because they both include a Firewall, the Two Firewalls will not Merge.. or Co-exist..If you want to install a firewall, Anti-Virus and Spyware ALL from Zone Alarm, the you should ask for a Refund on the Version you have and Purchase the Full Security Suite (ZASS)
    and Alternate Plan since You Already have ZAPro is to just Add a third party Anti-Virus program that does not include another Firewall..
    like AVG Ver,. 7.5 from www.grisoft.com

---------------------------------------
    Here is My Configuration:
    Operating System: Windows XP SP2 Home with IE7 MS Outlook 2003
    HP Pavilion - Intel Pentium IV 3.0 GHz 2GB DDR2

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:930787412
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200711.2915
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by Prof_Fate on 11-29-2007 09:00 AM

Message Edited by Prof_Fate on 11-29-2007 09:01 AM

paulwm Guest

OK Thanks
    I understand now (sleep deprivation!).
    Cheers.

Thread Information