Thread: Preventing Spyware

tjebme Guest

Default Preventing Spyware

Whenever I scan my computer for spyware, ZoneAlarm usually finds 10-15 items. I'm wondering why ZoneAlarm doesn't prevent these items from getting on my machine? Is there a setting I need to change? I used to use Webroot Spysweeper which actually seemed to prevent the spyware from getting on my PC. I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version 7.1.078.000, Anti-spyware engine version 5.0.162.0, DAT file version 01.200712.2975. Thanks.

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Preventing Spyware

What is the name of these spyware? What are these?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tjebme Guest

Zedo, Questionmarket, Pointroll, Imrworldwide, Hitbox, Fastclick, Doubleclick, Atdmt, Advertising, Adrevolver, 2o7, Tribalfusion, Statcounter, Mediaplex, Bluestreak, Bizrate

These are all cookies.

Contrary to what the spyware scanner vendors claim, these are not spyware and they always rate these as low, never medium or high. Cookies are just text files and can not do any damage or install anything or make any changes to your PC. They are really harmless. Some do work as trackers, but this itself is still harmless, since nobody still can really do anything with a cookie. See here.

There are several easy to do solutions to fix this problem. These solutions all work the very same way - just prevent these cookies from even getting on the PC in the first place. This policy of prevention instead of scanning and trying to fix the damage applies to all aspects of PC security.

Cookies come in different flavors. The most important cookies are the first site cookies - these come as session or site and temporary cookies. These cookies you will almost always need for site interactions, forums, web mail and so forth.

The other cookies are all considered as "third party" cookies. The cookies you have listed are all third party cookies. Some sites such as google or web mail or online banking or online shopping or forums such as this one need to have third party cookies allowed in order for things to work.

But almost any other site does need to have third party cookies allowed. These sites can be all blocked from using third party cookies.

First and easy method. Just block the cookies in the browser. All browser have in the "Tools" section setting to block or allow third party, session or temporary and site cookies. Browsers can be setup to allow the third party cookies, from only certain sites. thus any other site will be automatically blocked from inserting cookies. By far the easiest method and always works.

Second method is in the Privacy of your ZASS. The firewall can easily block third party cookies and still be set to allow thord party cookies from selected sites.An example would be gmail or hotmail- cookies can be allowed from these sites and something like download.com can be set to block the third party cookies.
    An easy way to set the privacy is first set the Privacy to allow all - ads, scripts, all types of cookies, java, private headers, etc and then go to the sites you need, such as banking, online shopping, forums, web mail, etc. Then after you have visited all of these sites, then set the Privacy to block everything. From then on, all the bad stuff from the web will be blocked. If a mistake was made and a site you need does not function, just open the Privacy of the ZA and give it all green checks next to it. If the site is not listed, then just manually add the site and give it all green checks.

Third method, not as good as the first two, but this does block some bad sites, not just bad cookies.
    Use a host file.
    Like this one. Just read how it is done and be sure to disable/set to manual the DNS Client Service first and reboot before doing anything with the block list.

Fourth method. Instead of using bloaty spyware scanners to find cookies, just use CCleaner or the ZA Cache cleaner. Either one has a "cookie manager", in which cookies wanted to be kept and cookies to be removed can be easily setup.

Also, browsers such as Mozilla firefox or Opera both have delete on closing options (needs to be manually setup). Just by closing these browsers, cookies and cached files and other things can all be cleaned out in one swoop.

Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tjebme Guest

Thank you!

You are welcome tjebme.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information