Thread: can't get AV updates (anti-virus updates)

webwanderer Guest

Default can't get AV updates (anti-virus updates)

I have a brand new install of win 2k. I loaded ZASS 7.0.462 and I it won't update the AV definitions. The anti-spyware updates fine, but not the anti-virus.

I tried deleting the LocalCatalog.xml file, but it says the file is in use, even if I uncheck "start ZA when Windows starts" and reboot. It's a brand new install of both Win 2k and ZASS, so this doesn't seem like a likely fix.

I deleted the whole partition and started over. Five hours later I was back at the same place.

I deleted the whole partition again, and re-installed 2k and 7.0.337 and I got the same thing. Anti-spyware -- fine, anti-virus -- no updates.

I tried dozens of combinations in the AV/AS window, automatic 'on', automatic 'off', etc. No luck.

Checking the ZASS program version works fine, and anti-spyware update works fine, but it won't do AV updates.

I bought a 3-PC license, my other PCs can update fine on 462. One is 2k, and the other is XP.

I tried it first without putting in my license key and again with the key. No luck.

I tried with ZASS starting automatically with Windows and by starting it manually. No luck.

Any ideas?

I remember this being a problem a couple of years ago, but it went away.

hammernu Guest

Default Re: can't get AV updates (anti-virus updates)

Make certain you do not have any other anti-virus products active. Even if you unload them, they might still have a system service running.

webwanderer Guest

Is there an AV product in a brand new load of Win 2k?

webwanderer Guest

Reporting back:

This is my fourth or fifth complete wipe and reload of the hard drive, and the last try for ZASS. I even went out seaching for another Security Suite, and with a sliver of hope, I thought I'd give ZASS one last try.

It FINALLY works. My anti-virus updates now, but I'm not sure why. My guess is that it works because, for this last reload, I went through all the Windows updates and then microsoft updates before installing Zonealarm SS 462, or possibly because I did a "fixmbr" from the recovery console beforehand. These are the only differences I'm aware of. The Microsoft Updates seem quite possibly the reason.

hammernu Guest

Glad to hear you finally got it fixed. ZoneAlarm has a good product. Low overhead, small footprint, few if any problems (for most of us!).

Thread Information