Thread: Problem with contant access to HD and excessive CPU usage by scanningprocess.exe

jlmccormick Guest

Default Problem with contant access to HD and excessive CPU usage by scanningprocess.exe

WIN2K PRO 5.00.2195 SP4
    ZAAV 7.0.408.000

I had severe problems with 7.0.462.000. Uninstalled and went back to 7.0.408.000 but the problems are now even worse. Idle with no scans active scanningprocess.exe would sometimes be at 100% CPU usage. Frequently external hard disk activity light comes on continuous and locks system up with constant access to external HD! This happens at random times and lasts several minutes until HD access stops. Most annoying of all is during startup. As soon as Win2k logon dialog appears drive activity light on external HD comes on continuous and completely locks system up. Hour glass appears over logon dialog and can't even logon! I've isolated the problem to ZAAV. If I turn off AV problem disappears. That is when I can finally get to ZACC with vsmon.exe or scanningprocess.exe at nearly 100% CPU usage!

Update doesn't work either. Randomly every hour or so ZA updating icon appears on task bar and same problem with excessive HD access occurs slowing down system. **bleep**?

What's the point of AV if ZA ACTS like a virus and locks up my system so I can't use it? I've wasted the better part of 2 days fighting this problem. I'm keeping AV turned off and will install a separate AV app until ZA gets the bugs worked out, one that really works and doesn't take over my system!

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

jlmccormick Guest

Default Re: Problem with contant access to HD and excessive CPU usage by scanningprocess.exe

Did a /clean /rmlicense uninstall in safe mode. Rebooted and reinstalled 7.00.462.000. Same problem. Constant access of external HD locks up the system! Now I find that turning off AV doesn't stop the excessive access of HD! I'm tired of fighting this POS. I'm uninstalling this POS for the last time and finding another firewall and AV that DOES NOT act like a virus ! I advise others to do the same.

flytrap Guest

Default Re: Problem with contant access to HD and excessive CPU usage by scanningprocess.exe

ZoneAlarm, ver 7
    I have exactly the same problem, running Windows XP MCE SP2. I just built this system and thought I might have a bad hard drive, but both drives in the array passed diags.
    Symptoms: Reboot times of 3-5 minutes. Scanningservice hogging all CPU time. 4-5 minutes to open Outlook Express, Internet Explorer or anything else. This was very random, but most noticeable if I let the system idle for several hours. Lockups that would last for 20-30 minutes.
    I was about to format and reinstall (painful, as I spent a couple of weeks getting everything set up), but decided to uninstall Zonealarm Security first. Voila! All problems went away, so not hard to point the finger squarely at this application. This system is now running as it should.
    So, what is to be done? Is there a fix for this, or do I go buy another product?

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,Welcome to the Forum!Here is a Quote from the Moderator:

Unfortunately Media Center Edition is not support by any ZoneAlarm product free or paid.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=44967

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

5. jlmccormick Guest

Here's the 411. Got a response from tech support on the issue. Seems the security settings were corrupt. So I followed the instructions to boot into safe mode, delete DB files, restart and let ZAAV relearn program settings. That seemed to fix the problem. No more hyper access to external HD and excessive CPU usage!
    I had done a clean uninstall and deleted all DB files but after reinstall I restored security settings from backup XML file. I guess this just restored corrupted settings!?

Here's the fix per tech support:

Solution

There may be a problem with your TrueVector service. ZoneAlarm is
    dependent on its TrueVector service to function properly. You may need to
    refresh the files associated with this service, especially:

- If your Program permissions change by themselves, or revert back after
    a change
    - If a password does not work properly, this is the ONLY way to remove a
    password
    - After updating your ZoneAlarm software and are experiencing difficulties
    - After a networking or OS/MSOffice change (including patches and Service
    Packs).
    - If your computer started giving a No Disk error in a floppy or CDROM
    drive after installing or upgrading ZoneAlarm
    - Other issues with settings

Some ZoneAlarm files may have become corrupt. To repair this problem,
    please follow these steps. Please note that this will remove your program
    permissions and Trusted Zone settings (so you may want to make note of
    them), but re-establishing them is a simple process; you should be
    prompted again for program access for all the applications that you use to
    access the local network or Internet.

---------------------------
    First we need to boot into Safe Mode, please follow these steps to do so.

1. Power down your computer.

2. Start the system, after doing so, begin tapping the 'F8' key once every
    second.

3. You will get a startup menu; choose 'Safe Mode' by using the up/down
    arrow keys.

4. Press Enter.

Once you have booted into Safe Mode, please continue.

1. If you have Windows XP, click Start -> My Computer. If you have any
    other version of Windows, double-click the 'my computer' icon.
    2. Double-click your c-drive, probably called local disk c:.
    3. Double-click on the Windows or Winnt folder.
    4. Double-click the Internet Logs folder.
    5. Please delete all files in here that have extensions of .tmp, .rdb, or .ldb.
    6. Close this window, and then right-click and empty the recycle bin.
    7. Restart the computer, and this should reset your ZoneAlarm settings.

jscott Guest

<blockquote><hr>jlmccormick wrote:
    Did a /clean /rmlicense uninstall in safe mode. Rebooted and reinstalled 7.00.462.000. Same problem. Constant access of external HD locks up the system! Now I find that turning off AV doesn't stop the excessive access of HD! I'm tired of fighting this POS. I'm uninstalling this POS for the last time and finding another firewall and AV that DOES NOT act like a virus ! I advise others to do the same.
    <hr></blockquote>

I have recently starting get this same problem. I recently replaced an external 500 Gb drive with another thinking a problem with the drive. Thought it was firewire problem, switched to USB. Always same result, about an hour or so after boot, all four scanningprocess.exe begin enormous amounts of I/O (you can see them in Reliability and Performance Monitor if it happens to be up and running at the time). The entire system slows to a crawl with almost no ability to start any programs or performance tools. Explorer runs very slow trying to look at files or folders.

I shut down ZoneAlarm and within moments all is back OK again. Never hook the drive up is also a solution. But I am not one to get the most out of my hardware just because a piece of software is going haywire.

I am happy to work with ZoneAlarm on how to fix this. I hate to scratch it off my list of software. I guess next step is to scram the temp files. That seems to have worked in the past when ZA starts to act nutty.

jscott Guest

<blockquote><hr>jscott wrote:

<blockquote><hr>jlmccormick wrote:
    <hr></blockquote>

I have recently starting get this same problem. I recently replaced an external 500 Gb drive with another thinking a problem with the drive. Thought it was firewire problem, switched to USB. Always same result, about an hour or so after boot, all four scanningprocess.exe begin enormous amounts of I/O (you can see them in Reliability and Performance Monitor if it happens to be up and running at the time). The entire system slows to a crawl with almost no ability to start any programs or performance tools. Explorer runs very slow trying to look at files or folders.

I shut down ZoneAlarm and within moments all is back OK again. Never hook the drive up is also a solution. But I am not one to get the most out of my hardware just because a piece of software is going haywire.

I am happy to work with ZoneAlarm on how to fix this. I hate to scratch it off my list of software. I guess next step is to scram the temp files. That seems to have worked in the past when ZA starts to act nutty.
    <hr></blockquote>
    I did the thing where you start in safe mode and delete the two file in Internet Logs folder. No joy. I have ZA set not to start at system start up now. If you turn it on and then perform anything at all that requires disk, then numerous (10 or 12) scanning process.exe's kick off. Any programs that need disk access (everything!) slows to a crawl. Interestingly, CPU utilization is low. If you happen to be able to get to a screen where you can shut things down, the disk IO settles down but the system if still bogged down.

I have two other machines without this problem. Its something on this one I guess. Not even sure where to begin to figure this out and honestly don't have the time to waste.

jscott Guest

I put on 7.1.248 (for Vista) which came out 1/25 (about 2 days before I starting having all these problems). Now, no more problems. I had thought I was supposed to get automatic updates or at least notified. Well, whatever the new update did fixed whatever was broke.

Can't help to be disappointed in the 5 - 7 hours lost messing around with this. These things become factors in decision making when the subscription runs out.

Hi!next time when posting a message please specify the version of ZA you are using. I have read your messages but you posted it under a thread discussing ZA AV for windows 2000.If you will need support from the user here it is also good norm to open a new message and not just post in other thread.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information