Thread: Does this thing even work?

guerojose Guest

Default Does this thing even work?

Just paid $50 for Internet Security Suite 7 - updated online to 7.0.462.000

How is it that the "treatments" repeatedly fail to get rid of adware? Repair - failed. Quarantine - failed. Rename - failed. Delete, Delete on Reboot.. All of these allow the malware to immediately re-generate itself.

I'm no expert here, but is this software not detecting the sort of auto-re-creation that would be hidden somewhere within the OS? I mean, it seems that the virus/malware scan is simply looking for FILES on disk, and trying to deal with them. What about the underlying problem that is allowing these files to constantly re-spawn after being deleted?

Specifically:
    "not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Agent.wx C:\Windows\system32\feblsly.dll"
    "not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Agent.wx C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\flt233.tmp"

And another thing: Who the **bleep** designs a GUI so that text fields, like those above, can't be copy/pasted from windows like "Scan Results"? I had to type all that in long-hand. Not a good first impression out-of-the-box.

Any help/suggestions? Or do I need to immediately go buy a different product and see if it works any better?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Does this thing even work?

Try rebooting into Safe Mode, running a ZASS scan, and deleting or quarantining whatever is found. Many times, malware that is found in a Normal Mode boot cannot be completely removed because files are in use.

guerojose Guest

Un-be-freaking-lievable!

First of all, thank you for your suggestion. I have no idea if you're a Zone employee, or a good samaritan offering help, as I'm brand new here. But I do appreciate it when people offer their assistance.

Now, to vent...

It seems to be impossible to actually run the program from safe mode! Whether from the start menu, or double-clicking from the safe desktop, nothing happens. I waited a full ten minutes, just to make sure it wasn't just slow in starting. All I succeeding in doing was getting a pop-up, again asking me if I wanted to continue in safe mode, followed by a black screen. No way out. Done. Reboot.

Nice product, guys. I especially love the full 11 page non-documentation that came in the box. And the fact that the documentation on cdrom doesn't even have basic terms like "quarantine" in the index.

7 hours troubleshooting and counting. Gee, I guess I must be the first person on the planet to encounter "AdWare.Win32.Agent.wx" Right.

sleepingdisaste Guest

Hi, I am not a moderator or ZA emlpoyee. I am a europen customer. I find ZA the best security system I have ever used. The version (It sound like you got it on disk) could be corrupt or your install might not of been completed properly. Try uninstalling ZA completely and download the trial version of the suite you have. When intalled select register and enter your security key.
    MODERATOR: If a poduct cannot be reregistered please advise as i think this is the best solution.
    I advise to only do this after a moderator has answered my above question. Although I imagine like any other program, once you have the security key you can install and uninstall as muchas you need to on your machine.
    Hope all works for you.

Thread Information