Thread: Endless Security Alerts during Scan

lawson Guest

Default Endless Security Alerts during Scan

I just this week started having problems with my Zone Alarm anti virus.
    I renewed my subscription, and updated my software.
    Now, every time I run
    virus scan, I have security alerts pop up, one after another, hundreds of them, reporting suspicious activity from my Zone Alarm software, because it is "accessing" the files it's scanning.
    I can't get any work done, I can't get to the Zone Alarm program to stop the scan because every time I close one alert window, another one pops up.
    I spent and hour and forty five minutes clicking these windows on Thursday before the scan got past the windows folders, and stopped giving me so many of these messages so I could scan my whole machine to make sure this wasn't virus activity.
    No viruses found, but the automatic scan started today, and after 20 minutes of clicking, trying to get a clear enough window to open Zone Alarm to stop the scan, I had to press and hold the power button to force the computer to shut down so I could get some computer functionality back.
    I tried to turn off alerts in the preferences, but it says that programs will give you an alert no matter what, so I'm SOL.
    Does anyone have a solution for this?
    Virus software that forces you to sit at your machine clicking your mouse obsessively for almost two hours is not a useful program for me.
    I've used Zone Alarm for as long as I can remember, on various machines, and was happy with it.
    Now, I need to fix this or get it off my machine.
    I'd hate to waste the thirty bucks I spent just the other week, but this is untenable.
    Any suggestions?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

huldin_the_goth Guest

Default Re: Endless Security Alerts during Scan

I had this problem also. It is due to the ZoneAlarm database becoming corrupted. You will have to delete it and rebuild the database. The quick way is to hold the 'shift key' and the 'control key' down and right click the ZoneAlarm icon in the system tray. You then select the 'Reset' option to delete the corrupt database. You are then taken through a number of steps to rebuild the database.

lawson Guest

Default Re: Endless Security Alerts during Scan

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I'll do that now.

Thread Information