Thread: ZA Internet Suite .. Trojans v Viruses and Spyware Detection

michael_uk Guest

Default ZA Internet Suite .. Trojans v Viruses and Spyware Detection

I have the Zone Alarm Internet Suite and have the latest version (7.0.337).

I understand that Zone Alarm's anti-virus is Kaspersky which consistently has excellent reviews and appears to be about the best of the bunch.

My first question is about 'Trojans' v 'Viruses'.
    In the old days we had an anti-virus which didn't work so well with trojans and a trojan detector/cleaner that didn't work with viruses. I used the 'Norton Antivirus' and 'The Cleaner'. I have now stopped using these. Does Zone Alarm Antivirus recognise and clean both viruses and trojans or do I still need a separate trojan cleaner and detector?

My second question is about 'Spyware'.
    I assume that Zone Alarm's spyware component is also from Kaspersky. In a review on antispyware apps a while back, the Zone Alarm antispyware didn't do so well and 'Spy Doctor' won. I see ZA states that they have improved. I would be interested in the views and experiences of others here. Does ZA antispyware do as good a job as anything or should I be looking for something better .. if it exists?

Thanks.

Michael

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: ZA Internet Suite .. Trojans v Viruses and Spyware Detection

I'm not sure about the Trojan question. As for the second part, I don't believe the anti-spyware module is from Kaspersky, nevertheless, PC Magazine gave it a top review recently saying it did better than any of the
    independent anti-spyware products. Because of this, I quit using Spyware Doctor about six months ago.

michael_uk Guest

Thanks for your reply. That's excellent news.

Spyware Doctor has received excellent reviews in the past and I was considering this. Now I'll keep with ZA's Anti Spyware.

Hi!in ZASS 7 (I would reccomend you update to the latest version 7.0.462.000) you have Kaspersky SDK engine covering viruses, trojans, malware, spyware, adware and riskware in general.On top of this you also have ZA antispyware own engine. So, overall a very good protection.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

michael_uk Guest

Hello Fax

Thanks for your reply.

I have just downloaded and installed the 7.0.462 update, thanks for pointing me to that.

Aone Alarm sounds excellent. I have stopped using my previous four applications (Firewall, Antivirus, Anti-Adware and Anti-Spyware) and now use Zone Alarm Internet Security which seems to do an excellent job of everything.

Good choice!I personally think its better to have a solid security suite than all the best tools installed one over the another.You reduce potentialconflictsbetween applications and your system willgenerally run faster.Its however important that you keep your ZASS up to date and always running.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information