Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Virus failed to scan file or system and Boot sector error! What does this mean?

miss Guest

Default Anti-Virus failed to scan file or system and Boot sector error! What does this mean?

Last week I downloaded Zone Alarm's free
    trial security suite. A few days later, a virus/trojan called
    Trojan-Downloader.JS.Psyme.hz was detected, but quarantined because Zone Alarm was unable to repair the problem. A few days later, I noticed several
    error messges were being logged each time the anti-virus program was ran my computer, which state the following:
    Decription

Anti-virus attempted but failed to scan a file and/or system for viruses
    Date / Time
    2007/12/21 17:19:40-6:00 GMT
    Type

Treat
    Virus name

Filename

Boot Sector
    Action

Error: The parameter is incorrect.
    Mode

Manual

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    I upgraded to the
    paid Zone Alarm Security Suite
    and seem to still have the same problem. Does this mean Zone Alarm is not actually scanning my entire computer for viruses and trojans? If I uninstall and reinstall with the trojan in quarantine, will it infect my computer again? What can I do to correct the problem as it continues to exist. Also, I have several of these error messages in logged archives. Thank you for your time.

Message Edited by Miss on 12-28-2007 11:15 AM

Message Edited by Miss on 12-28-2007 11:38 AM

Message Edited by Miss on 12-28-2007 06:38 PM

garypace Guest

Default Re: Anti-Virus failed to scan file or system and Boot sector error! What does this mean?

I posted a service request with ZA on this subject. Here is a potted summary of their responses :

1 - Try uninstall and re-install - no difference
    2 - Try disabling extended database - no difference
    3 - Don't worry about it

Not the best customer support experience I ever had....

miss Guest

Default Re: Anti-Virus failed to scan file or system and Boot sector error! What does this mean?

Hi Gary. I can understand your frustration. It would be nice if tech support could explain why this error message exists. I'd also like to know if this means the
    anti-virus program is not checking "all" areas of the computer. The latter is my main worry. Please post again if you obtain more details and I'll do the same.

miss Guest

By the way Gary,
    I tried replying to the response you left for me in your thread entitled "scan failed", but
    the option to "reply" in the upper left corner was not available.
    Not sure why it's turned off.
    http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...ssage.id=25853

miss Guest

I just thought I'd check one more time to see if anyone had answers for me. Oh well. Have a great weekend to all.

Fix a boot sector infection this way:

Start the PC with the media drive and with the windows OS media disk.
    Enter the Repair Console.
    Use the fixmbr command.
    This will over write the master boot record to the original state (if you have created partitions, there could be a problem).

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Boot sector infections are fairly rare these days. I assume the antivirus couldn't read the file and reported that there is a problem.
    Any file that can not be opened by any antivirus will report it as an error.

The fixmbr comment in my other post will hopefully fix this problem and any possible infection will be over written.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

miss Guest

Hi OldSod, I'm not very computer literate and these directions are confusing. How do I start the computer "with the media drive and with windows OS media disk"? When I purchased my computer, I don't recall seeing any disks by those names? Also, when you say: "if you have created partitions there could be a problem", what does that mean?
    I've utilized computers for years, and I've
    never had to repair or fix anything until now.

Previously I've always used Norton, but decided to try a different security program, so I gave zone alarm a try. I'm still not sure if this all means zonealarm is not checking "all" areas of my computer for viruses.
    p.s. Also, I
    checked for information on " fixmbr", and the site below says it is to be used by
    "advanced users" and that I must go to something called a
    "recovery console" to use the above command. It all seems confusing, and I'd hate to cause damage due to lack of knowledge. Is this the only way to correct the error?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Message Edited by Miss on 01-02-2008 07:56 AM

Message Edited by Miss on 01-04-2008 08:56 AM

martytx Guest

Hello Miss and Gary,
    Well, the hectic holidays have come and gone, so I'm now working with tech support about my boot sector
    errors.

Initially, I had boot sector scan errors and Recovery Partition scan errors.
    My PC didn't come with OS disks, just a D-Drive partition on the hard drive with recovery data. Needless to say, errors scanning the recovery partition were alarming!
    After working with tech support, the recovery partition error has
    been fixed,
    but I'm still getting the boot sector scan errors.

This procedure from tech support fixed the recovery partition problem:I zapped the standard RDB, IDB and LDB files from Windows\Internet Logs, but nothing was fixed.
    The next approach was to use msconfig and start up with only Microsoft and ZoneAlarm programs running.
    This also didn't seem to work.
    So, I repeated everything and zapped the Internet Log files again and started with only
    Microsoft and ZoneAlarm files running. This
    time, the AV scan did not indicate recovery partition errors!
    I've tried D-Drive scans about a dozen times, and they still look good.
    So, one down and one to go!
    Am still working with tech support with the boot sector scan errors.
    I'll post any info that works here.
    Marty

miss Guest

Marty, thank you for this reply. I'm happy to read there has been progress, and I'm looking forward to your next post concerning "boot sector errors". I hope you're having a great Tuesday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information