Thread: Blocking access to my LAN while allowing access to the Internet

leebo Guest

Default Blocking access to my LAN while allowing access to the Internet

I haven't run ZA in a couple of years, so I'm not aware what the latest version is capable of. I'm assuming this has been asked b4, but I cannot figure out what terms to use to find the answer. If someone can point me to a thread, it would be appreciated.

I have three computers on my home network. I want to allow my friends access to my wireless network when they visit with their laptops, but keep them from accessing my computers. At the same time, my computers must be able to access each other.

I thought I could do this by not giving them my workgroup name, but realized they could see my workgroup and change theirs.

Can ZA block other computers on my network from access and allow only those i designate?

Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Blocking access to my LAN while allowing access to the Internet

I thought that, independent of Zone Alarm, no one can access your computer unless directories are shared by Windows.

In the Zones, the IP of the home PCs and the router (DHCP) are listed as Trusted. After those, add a new entry to block the entire range of the home LAN (i.e. 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255).

Make sure the Trusted Security slider is at High when they visit and you open your PC.

Enable the ARP protection.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-22-2007 05:49 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

<blockquote><hr>HammerNU wrote:
    I thought that, independent of Zone Alarm, no one can access your computer unless directories are shared by Windows.
    <hr></blockquote>

Very true.
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

leebo Guest

<blockquote><hr>HammerNU wrote:
    <hr></blockquote>

Yes, but as I stated in my original post, I want my computers to be able to access each other (share). I do not want guests to have that ability. I only want them to be able to access the Internet.

Thanks for answering.

leebo

Thread Information