Thread: ZoneAlarm Anti-virus scan appallingly slow

hedera Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Anti-virus scan appallingly slow

I'm running the current ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite on a 15 day free trial.

I thought I might have an infection today so began a virus scan with the priority set to "moderate". It ran for over 8 hours and only scanned 2,900 or so files - I know that I have nearly 200,000 files on my system. At this rate I'll never be able to finish a scan, as I shut my PC down at night; I'd have to run it for weeks. I found another post which suggests I should change the priority to "high" and I did, but the AV scan seemed to be hung, I clicked on "skip" 3 times and it continued to run and wouldn't switch to the spyware scan. I finally had to shut the thing down altogether.

Is the AV scan CPU intensive? I also run BOINC on this box and usually have 2 Rosetta@home work units taking up a lot of CPU - do I need to suspend Rosetta to do virus scans?

Puzzled,

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Anti-virus scan appallingly slow

Do you have any other security programs running? Such as another anti-virus?

hedera Guest

Nope, no other anti-virus.
    I am running SpyBot S&D 1.4 Resident, but that shouldn't have anything to do with anti-virus directly, I thought SpyBot was largely anti-spyware.
    Are there problems I should know about between SpyBot and ZAISS?
    I ran the scan at the "High" rating and it completed in a reasonable length of time, about an hour and a half.

jdoliver Guest

Do a search in the forums for Spybot (red button at top of message panel). There have been a lot of reports of problems.

jspencerg Guest

I agree it is appalingly slow. I have been a ZA user for quite a few years. I have a scan running right now that is
    at 11 hours 23 mins and has scanned 209,173 files. LAst weeks scan took 15 hours. I have no other antivirus or spyware running. I dd run spybot about a year ago with no issues.

hedera Guest

Actually I find that when I set the scan speed to "fast" or "high-speed" or whatever, the scan completes in a couple of hours which is comparable to the Norton scan.
    I haven't yet tried (out of habit) to use the box while scanning, but everything else ZAISS does is much lighter impact so I'm optimistic.

Thread Information