Thread: Will ZA auto update/scan if no user logged on?

kgdxn Guest

Default Will ZA auto update/scan if no user logged on?

Hello, I am wondering if ZA will auto update / autoscan if no user is logged on to the system (XP pro). I just setup a
    machine to file/print serve, run IIS, (etc)
    and it won't be looked at all that often. I could leave it logged on to
    a limited user but not if I dont need to.
    Thanks!

watcher Guest

Default Re: Will ZA auto update/scan if no user logged on?

Dear kgdxn:

Additional info is needed before anyone can help you:

1)What ZA edition/version do you have installed?
    2)What user account is the ZA installed under?
    3)What user account is the IIS installed under? Is your web server up 24/7?
    4)Are ZA and IIS on the same O/S(WinXP PRO) and PC or are we talking about a network here with/without domain controller?

ZA has to be installed under an administrator's account in order to work in a lower level account like a User or Limited acount. Neither User or Limited accounts could install ZA. By default, their user rights and NTFS permissions wouldn't allow it. If ZA were installed under an administrator account(ind'l/group), the User or Limited account might allow the downloading of the updates but probably not the installation of them. I knew someone who used a power user account who could download the virus definitions for her antivirus program but could not install them. She had to switch to the administrator's account to accomplish this.

If ZA is not running, then it couldn't possibly autoupdate until it was. If no user is logged on to WinXP Pro, the operating system won't be running which means no applications like ZA or IIS will be running.

WATCHER

kgdxn Guest

Watcher,
    Thanks for the reply and sorry for the lack of info. I am running ZA Security Suite 7.0.462. It was installed under the administrator account and all is running on the same PC; which is running 24/7. This PC is on my home network but sits by itself doing its thing(s). I access it through my KVM switch.
    I believe that even when logged off (computer on obviously), ZA
    services are still running as is IIS, file and print share, etc. I am wondering if auto update and scheduled scans will also run in this situation or if an account has to be logged in for these processes to run.
    I guess I can schedule a scan for a short time ahead, log off and then check the log later to see if it scanned. It just seemed like this should be a common situation that people encounter.
    Hope that better explains it!
    Thanks in advance.

Hi!nope, as far as I know you need to be logged (zlclient.exe loaded) to have the ZA operational...Yes, the main firewall and antivirus drivers are loaded even if you are logged off but automatic updates (product and AV/AS definitions) will not.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

kgdxn Guest

Yea, it doesnt look like it will. Thanks for the feedback. I set it up to logon automatically to a limited account. I think that should do it.
    Thanks again

You're welcomeYep, any user is good...Cheers,Fax

watcher Guest

Dear kgdxn:

I've used IIS but I had to log in to start it as, once installed, it is loaded automatically from the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run subkey. What account is IIS using if it is up 24/7? IIS is a Web server application and the underlying operating system, be it Windows XP Pro or Windows Server 2003, needs to be operational prior to IIS working.

I'm assuming the KVM switch is for the monitor/keyboard/mouse to switch from the server PC to the client PC.

WATCHER

patermann Guest

I hope that they decide to do something about this as other anti-virus solutions are able to scan (and update) while no-one is logged in. The standard anti-virus solution where I work is McAfee but I had some problems with it so I purchased my own copy of ZA AntiVirus to use on my work PC. I set ZAAV up like McAfee to do a full disk scan starting at 1am on Monday morning so that it would be complete by the time that I got into work. I have been very disappointed to find that the scan only starts when I log in and, as I don't want it trying to do a full scan while I am trying to work and I do not want to leave the PC logged in all weekend, I have had to disable scheduled scans altogether. This not good!

patermann

Hi!I am not aware of security solutions for home use (like ZA) that will scan the system even if you are completely logged-off.This is more common for enterprise security solutions...Cheers,Fax

Thread Information