Thread: ZASS 7 will not open in safe mode or update anti spyware

kazzer Guest

Default ZASS 7 will not open in safe mode or update anti spyware

Hi can anyone shed some light on my problem as I have been using ZA for several years now and this is the only t ime I have ever had a prob and the prob is that ZASS 7.0.337.000 updated fine after a new format on laptop to version 7.0.462.00 but once that happened it could no longer patch the anti spywre so I went into safe mode to remove the update files which was no probs so then went to manually update ZA from safe mode but it would not open.
    So came out of safe mode tried updating again still the same issue so uninstalled ZASS manually as to not leave anything behind and tried again but exactly the same issue.
    So uninstalled again and this time did a clean install with beta version 7.0.464.000 but exactly the same happens no ZA in safe mode and no anti spyware patch but I must point out that ZASS is working fine just that I cannot
    patch the anti spyware.
    I do hope that someone can help as I have scowled the forum for 2 days now but everything that has been suggested has not worked.
    I guess this is ZA New Year blessing to me LOL.X-(
    I am running windows XP PRO sevice pack 2 and no other anit spyware or antivirus is running

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: ZASS 7 will not open in safe mode or update anti spyware

Hi,Welcome to the Forum!PLEASE go to the following thread as it may or may not solve your issue, THANKS.http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=25154PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: ZASS 7 will not open in safe mode or update anti spyware

Hi Sly Fox,
    Thanks for that link but I already tried that and it didn't work as I actually don't have any restrictions come up it is empty so I was unable to adjust it in anyway.
    However I did notice in C:/Windows/internetlogs and in a Zone Alarm text file the following message
    OSFW,2008/01/03,21:16:32 +0:00 GMT,BLOCKED,Windows Explorer,C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe,FILE,WRITE,SRC,WI NSYSDIR\ZoneLabs\Updates\LocalCatalog.xml
    Now I do not run a system firewall never have and never will the only time I have used it was to check that it actually functioned correctly and then turned it off again.
    I have also been into services and actually disabled the OSFW but I still get no where.
    I have never had any probs before on none of my 4 pc's they have always ran ZA 2 are XP HOME and 2XP PRO.
    I do hope someone can shed some light on this as I see I am not the only one suffering it would be a help if I could open ZA in safe mode because then I could remove all updates and manually update ZA still in safe mode and hopefully that would do the trick but as I can't even get that far my hands are tied.
    My antivirus is running and updating 100%
    Cheers
    Kazzer

Hi Kazzer,PLEASE try the following and PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.Your ZA A/S will not update

Some Internet accelerator software can interfere with the update functions. If you use a dialup accelerator software try disabling that software, then open ZA to the Antivirus/Anti-Spyware panel and click the Update Now button.

My AntiSpyware will not update.

Solution:

If your AntiSpyware will not update, there could be a corrupt file. Please do the following:

- Click Start, then Run

- type SYSTEM32 and hit Enter

- ONLY if you get an error message, navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder

- click on ZoneAlarm, then Updates, and delete all files in that folder

- try to update your AntiSpyware again.

SlyFox

5. Default Re: ZASS 7 will not open in safe mode or update anti spyware

Hi Sly Fox,
    Thanks again for
    your reply but I have tried removing updates whilst running in normal windows before but that didn't make any difference I have also removed the update file in safe mode but as I said in my previous message I am unable to open ZA in safe mode to update manually.
    I am not running any type of accelatrator.
    As I also included in my last message a copy of the text file found in ZA so obviously there is an issue going on deep down but unfortunatley I am unable to find it.
    CheersKazzer

Hi Kazzer,This can be caused by a corrupt file.

- click Start -> Run -> type SYSTEM32 and click OK

- double-click on ZONE LABS, then on UPDATES

- delete all files, especially LocalCatalog.xml

- run the anti-spyware update again

If the above does not work, PLEASE contact Tech Support and see what they say about this issue and if you would PLEASE post back with their answer they give you, THANKS.

PLEASE USE I.E. 7 or 6 when sending this form, as it WILL NOT WORK with any other browser, THANKS.

You need to contact Tech Support at

www.zonelabs.com/tsform

SlyFox

7. Default Re: ZASS 7 will not open in safe mode or update anti spyware

Hi Sly Fox,
    I have already contacted tech support but as of yet 3 days later still no reply and if it's like last time I contacted them I won't get a response or I will get the normal answer of 3rd party software issues or try re formatting.So looks like to me that I will be taking in it my own hands and having to re format my lappy all due to ZA. But thanks anyway and I will let you know what actually happens.
    Cheers
    Kazzer

dawnkitty Guest

hello!
    I am having this same problem....I tried what was suggested on here , it didnt work, deleting that catalog file
    You might want to try this...what Customer support told me to do, but I did this too, and it didnt work either, so I am waiting to hear from them again..I am wondering if I need to re install it or something..I have
    ZA on an older computer also, and it updates just fine on there.
    Thank you for contacting Zone Labs Technical Support.
    I understand that you are getting an error when updating anti-spywarecannot sparse XML.
    This may be due to damaged or out of date XML files.
    1. In the Worldwide Downloads list at
    www.microsoft.com/downloads
    2. In the Keywords box, type "Microsoft XML Parser 3.0 ServicePack 7" and then click Go.3. In the list of available downloads, click Microsoft XML Parser(MSXML) 3.0 Service Pack 7 (SP7).4. Run the file downloaded5. Follow the instructions on your screen.6. Reboot.7. If the screen is still blank go to Start and Run8. Type in the following and then click OK

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

If my answer did not resolve your issue, or you would like furtherassistance on this issue, please reply to this email.

By replying, and
    leaving the subject line intact, your response will come directly to me.

If
    you have a separate issue you would like assistance with, please submit anew request using the website at

http://www.zonelabs.com/tsform .

kazzer Guest

Hi thanks fro that info but about a week ago mine just updated and now works fine again so obviously they included a patch in one of their updates how nice of them.
    Karen

dawnkitty Guest

Mine still doesnt work : ( the anti virus updates, but not the anti spyware : (

Thread Information