Thread: Virsus Scan Very Slow

saberman Guest

Default Virsus Scan Very Slow

I purchased a three user license for ZoneAlarms Internet Security Suite.
    I installed
    it on my Dell X300 Laptop with a 40 GB drive.
    I started a full scan and it has been running for 45 minutes and has only scan 14K files.

My desktop has two 120 GB IDE drives,
    two 500 GB SATA drives and five 500 GB external USB drives.
    If I install it on the desktop how many years will it take to scan the attached drives?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Virsus Scan Very Slow

Hi!this has been posted many times before... please use the search function and you will find a lot of post about slow scannning.See for example a recent discussion here that include hints to improve the scanning time:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=26162Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

saberman Guest

I did do
    a search of the board and appearently missed that one.

Even if I could turn off scanning of compressed files -- which does not seem possible in 7.0 as I would have to select each one individually to exclude it -- I still have concerns about over
    3.5 TB of storage.
    Is it feasible to use ZA with that much storage?

Hi!its not the storage in itself but the size, the number and type of files been stored.Compressed files per se are not active carriers of malware, they need to be decompressed to be harmful and as soon as decompressed and executed theywill bedetected by the "on access" scanner.If you can group compressed files (zip, rar, etc) in specific folders and the exclude them then the scan speed will improve substancially.You need to scan when youare not at the PC (over night?). Its an operation that you don't have to repeatso often.Unless there are moreuser accessing thestorage. if this is the case then ZA products are not really suitable to operate in a 'network' type of settings.You need enterprise solutions including backup systems.Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

saberman Guest

>If you can group compressed files (zip, rar, etc) in specific folders and the exclude them then the scan speed will improve substancially.
    You mean there isn't anyway to exclude them by type?
    Either all compressed files or at least *.zip, *.rar, etc.
    >You need to scan when you
    are not at the PC (over night?). Its an operation that you don't have to repeat
    so often.>Unless there are more
    user accessing the
    storage. if this is the case then ZA products are not really suitable to operate in a 'network' type of settings.
    At the rate it scanned my 40 GB laptop it will take a lot more than overnight to scan 3.5 TB.
    They are all local drives.
    1 TB internal and 2.5 TB external USB attached.
    I have only one NAS drive and it is only used for encrypted backup and doesn't need to be scanned.

Thread Information