Thread: update progress locked up

heathr Guest

Default update progress locked up

I installed Zone Alarm Security Suite on a HP pavilion a1616n running XP media Center edition 2005 in June.
    I then tried installing updates.
    The update process locked up.
    I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Zone Alarm, and have rebooted...I cannot even get it to end task in task manager.
    Nothing stops this process, and I can't install any kind of update to ZA because I keep getting the message that the update installer is running an update.
    The process shows in task manager, but it won't end when I use end task, reboot, or anything.
    Is there a way to stop it--and fix it?
    I haven't been able to update anything because of this...

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: update progress locked up

This is not a fix for your problem, just a suggestion. Always uninstall in Safe Mode. That way, nothing else (including ZoneAlarm processes) will be running to interfere with the process.

hammernu Guest

Default Re: update progress locked up

If you reboot into Safe Mode, you can start ZoneAlarm manually. I'm not sure if you can run an update manually in Safe Mode but try to see. What I was implying in the previous email is that uninstallling in Safe Mode allows the removal of all ZoneAlarm files since nothing will be in use (and you DO want everything to be removed). When uninstalling, have you always tried a clean uninstall? Append " clean" (without the quotes) to the uninstall shortcut Target field.

Thread Information