Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

btreloar Guest

Default AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

I just noticed on one of my PCs that a scan was in progress. So I clicked on the ZA scan icon in my SysTray to view the scan.

Turns out it had been running for over 107 hours and the Files Scanned count was still zero.

I stopped the scan, shut down the scanning process with the close program "x" button, ZA shut down completely. I restarted ZA. The scan began again immediately, and I watched for about a minute as the timer ticked away the seconds but the Files Scanned count remained at zero.

I'm running version 7.0.462.000.

Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix this?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

Hi!

Welcome to the Forum!

This sounds like your ZA settings are corrupted and you may need to reset the ZA database.

Note: this procedure will fix it but you will loose all your ZA custom settings.

1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

3. Default Re: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

Thanks, SlyFox,

I rebooted and tried again -- this time it worked alright. Something got screwed upo, but fortunately it doesn't look like a permanent problem with my ZoneAlarm database.

Cheers!
    Bill

sjoeii Guest

a reset doesn't blow your program at all. You are safe don't worry

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,You are Welcome!Thank you for posting back and I am very happy your issue has been fixed.Have a Great Day!SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

6. Default Re: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

I don't believe the problem is over yet, fellas.
    I have been having issues for at least
    the last two weeks with my antiSpyware scans freezes (6, 7 9 hours) at particular points. Or should I say, it
    continues scanning without doing anything much useful:
    I my case it is at C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase
    I could not locate any references at all to that particular file but quite a few on C:\System Volume Information\tracking.log
    To top it off, after yet another clean uninstall / re-install last night, today's virus scan hung on A: for over 10 hours.
    I followed
    all instuctions I could find on the board - deleted possible corrupted files in Internet Logs (two or three times), clean uninstalled
    (four times), manual unistall (once - not doing that again)
    and I have just tried SlyFox's "Ctrl + Shift plus right click on the ZA icon in the notify area" trick.
    Each time having to re-key in all my allowed sites even though I do regular backup (even last night).=========================================== ================================================== ===
    Add to that when it does freeze, hang, spin wheels, stop scanning in AVS,
    AV,
    antivirus, anti virus
    and in ASWS,
    ASW,

antispyware - anti spyware,
    selecting the Skip
    option in Scanning Status locks-up the computer every single time requiring a reboot.
    All this appears to happen in automatic scan mode. Manual scans for Virus and Spyware seem to be OK (fingers crossed). Yep, running yet another manual scan right now, as I am starting not to trust the software.
    Not only that but
    I cannot now find where I can send a request for technical assistance directly to ZoneAlarm, I'm sure there was an option in the techincal support area of their site.
    I think I have stripped and reloaded ZASS
    enough times now. ZA can check all the times I have registered and re-registered if they like.
    In fact I am starting to get very, very annoyed at this "working one day/not the next" buiness and to top it even further off I purchased two years of subscription, an upgrade and recently got another set of licences for two Vista machines.
    This post has two points to it.
    First, re the C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase issue just in case someone else has had it.
    Second, how does one now get in touch with ZA directly because I am not a happy chappy and would like to know what the blazes is going on.
    Thank you for your patience and would appreciate any answers.
    I trust SlyFox and OldSod when they speak, so - please - I am not taking it out on them because I know they are trying to help. But, ZoneAlarm! Now, that's another matter.
    Thanks for listening.
    Dannyf
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:943206708
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3205
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    on XP Home

Message Edited by Dannyf on 01-24-2008 09:13 PM

Hi!

point one: Try to reset your restore points.
    Disable system restore, reboot and scan with AS.
    Does it lock? if not, enable again system restore and scan again.
    If yes, where does it lock now?

point two: you can contact ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dannyf Guest

Thanks FAX
    ZoneAlarm has since performed an automatic scan with out any problems, although it did detect a "Not a virus:MyWebSearch" toolbar in an install program I have had for months and months. Stange that it found it now after all this time.
    I will still disable system restore and wait for an automatic scan to complete. The enable it again.
    As an aside, when I shut down XP. ZoneAlarm is forced to close down by "End Program". Should the issue be corrupted Databases and such, could it be this which is doing the corrupting and hence this problem. I can only find references to older versions of ZoneAlarm on that one.
    Anyway, I shall advise any finding in a few days.
    Thanks
    Dannyf

<blockquote><hr>Dannyf wrote:
    Thanks FAX ZoneAlarm has since performed an automatic scan with out any problems, although it did detect a "Not a virus:MyWebSearch" toolbar in an install program I have had for months and months. Stange that it found it now after all this time. I will still disable system restore and wait for an automatic scan to complete. The enable it again. As an aside, when I shut down XP. ZoneAlarm is forced to close down by "End Program". Should the issue be corrupted Databases and such, could it be this which is doing the corrupting and hence this problem. I can only find references to older versions of ZoneAlarm on that one. Anyway, I shall advise any finding in a few days. Thanks Dannyf
    <hr></blockquote>

Mywebsearch: probably an update in the AV signature have triggered the detection.
    Restore point: Sometimes restore point may contain corrupted files that stack the scanning of the system
    End program: This is not normal, is your system stable? Are you running other security tools apart from ZA? You could try to make a clean install of ZA to see if it makes any difference or reset the ZA database.

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

robtgordon Guest

I've got ZASS installed on two PCs (3-user license). I'm having this same issue on the second PC; AV scan starts at 4:30AM and essentially does nothing. It was a clean install (first time ZASS had ever been installed on that PC). I'll try resetting the program to see what happens.

-Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information