Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

dannyf Guest

Default Re: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

Thanks Fax
    1. Mywebsearch: probably an update in the AV signature have triggered the detection.
    2. Restore point: Sometimes restore point may contain corrupted files that stack the scanning of the system
    3. End program: This is not normal, is your system stable? Are you running other security tools apart from ZA? You could try to make a clean install of ZA to see if it makes any difference or reset the ZA database.<hr>
    1. Agreed, that's the most likely scenario.
    2. Still have not restored the Restore Point as the
    scans seems to be going well with out it - only one lock-up on a manual AV scan.
    I wish to let it auto scan for several days before I re-enable the Restore Point as a confirmation process. That way, I can provide good intell. (Side issue - I am checking forum to see why ZASS seems to skip a scheduled scan every
    now and then).
    3. That's the problem, the system is the most stable I have ever seen a computer of mine: a few lock-ups now and then, but compared to my Win98SE Neanderthal - its heaven. I'll have to wait a while, before I can do a full
    O/S re-install, so I'll just have to put up with it until then.
    Will advise.
    Dannyf
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:943461104
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200801.3225
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by Dannyf on 01-28-2008 07:34 PM

Hi!
    thank you very much indeed for reporting back about your results.
    Please post back if you have any news.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

dannyf Guest

I have been running with the Restore Point disabled for 7 days now with out a problem (Except for that minor one mentioned earlier).
    Restore Point will now be enabled and ZASS monitored for any variations, lock-up,
    freezing, or jamming.
    Don't forget I also did SlyFox's &quot;Ctrl + Shift&quot; + Right Click over the Zone Alarm Notify Area Icon trick at the same time. So, it could be an either or both solution.
    Will advise result in a few days.
    DannyF
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:943996749
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3265
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Great, thank you for reporting back.
    Turning ON restore points should be fine.

Cheers,
    Fax

btreloar Guest

Well, this continues to occur on at least two of the three computers at my desk. I stopped the scan after 19 hours, having scanned zero files -- had to close the dialog, which closed ZoneAlarm. Restarted ZoneAlarm, and once again, it's incrementing the timer but scanning zero files.

I was trying to avoid a PC reboot, bu5t looks like I can't.

What causes this behavior? IS there an update to fix it?

Hi!if you still are experience this problem better you contact ZA technical support directly at: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

dannyf Guest

Ok. It is now 5 days since I (re) enabled the Windows XP Restore Point.
    First few of days
    Scanning Status window on task bar just sat there when I got home from work - could not open the Scanning Status / View Scan
    window. It was just sat there -
    stuck. Three days in a row. The task bar window icon would not close under any circumstance via Task Manager or Process Explorer. Only shutting down Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS) or shutting down Windows XP worked. Next day - I don't know - machine was turned-off
    because of electrical storm before I got home.
    ZASS showed that virus scan and anti-spyware scan started at the correct times but I can't confirm it completed them because of a log file cleanup
    that somehow happened and I have no history logs to check against..
    Today's virus scan just froze at 0% for 4 hours. Scan reported as started but as always when selecting Skip in the scanning status window when there is a problem, it just locked-up, froze, spinning it wheels. Another reboot.
    I am now going to disable Restore Point and see what happens over next few days. So far it is certainly pointing towards Restore Point being the issue. I hope this is helping Zone Labs along with this problem.

Hi!thank you for your report... improper/cold shutdown of your machine can also cause corruption of ZA settings.I think there are combination of system instability and unfortunate situation that makes the use of ZA problematic.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>So far it is certainly pointing towards Restore Point being the issue. I hope this is helping Zone Labs along with this problem.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually note that there is no ZA staff here and ZA does not monitor this board. We are all user.In case you need to contact ZA support directly, here is the link: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

dannyf Guest

Hi Fax and anyone else.
    Well, I have now been running with no Restore Point again for a week. No major issues with the scans.
    And yes I did know the Zone Labs Support say they don't monitor the forum. May they should as they might see some of the problems people are having.
    I have since sent a message to Zone Alarm support about this issue and all the others I was having.
    For you and the other to know. I just did a re-format and re-install of XP Home and only installed programs I need to test Zone Alarm.
    The result were:
    The &quot;End Program&quot; on Windows Shut Down was still there.
    My Hotmail access and &quot;Object moved to here&quot; problem I pick-up when I upgraded to ZA Security Suite (see another forum post) was still there.
    So I decided to try a trial version of another Security Suite Scanner and that one turned up trojans in file I have had for a couple of a few months that weren't pick-up by Zone Alarm.
    I'm going to trial another brand and see if it shows up the same.
    As you can image, I am very frustrated and dissappointed with the situation.
    Dannyf

Hi!sorry to hear about your issues. Personally never had any issues with hotmail access or end program...Sound like, willing or not,you still have a software conflicting with ZA, the best is to test ZA clean of any third party software or OEM add-on.This way:1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work?
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Cheers,Fax

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information