Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

dannyf Guest

Default Re: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

Thanks FAX
    Negative result.
    Did exactly as you said. Same issue occurs until I have disabled ZA Cookie Control (to OFF) and it also helped to disable ADBlocking to OFF also.
    I have done everything you have said and my own
    complete computer rebuild with just ZASS, two initial required XP
    Home SP2 updates, and XP's native IE6 with no sound drivers and no specific video drivers (except for what XP chose). Really, you can't get much cleaner than that unless you use DOS - anyone remember that?.
    I then had to complete the rebuild so I could use the computer.
    And, I have tried back to ZASS 7.0.362.000 with clean installs. And, now with the MSCONFIG disabled RUN and Services as suggested.
    I have tested a very fast scanning Trend Mirco but with the ultimate bad result.
    One of it cleaning / clean-up
    features wiped out my XP Key. XP then asked me to call Microsoft for a new telephone key. Another, strip and reload with my genuine install disc. And, all I had do to attained this notable achievement was say yes to a couple of prompts about clearing junk from my computer (nice feature - don't use it!).
    Then I tried McAfee (nice with really smooth operation - didn't slow my Internet/router connection down at all like ZA does (about 10-15% faster) but the interface was too confusing and I found it hard to navigate and find stuff. Its Program Control was not really clear (a basic allow/disallow)
    and you needed a little advanced knowledge (more then what I know) for its advanced settings. I know about computers and software, and it scared me off.
    At this stage my best option is to leave both Cookie and AD Blocking Control disabled (OFF) and just let IE7's security and privacy do the job until they can issue another upgrade for ZASS 7.0 or eventually move up to Vista when I can afford it.
    Not the best solution, but when one spent hours upon hours upon hours, trying to fix something and that doesn't include your time. Well, there is only so much until you get to the "don't care anymore" stage.
    Shame really. I actually don't like sounding like a grumpy old man.
    Thanks so much for all your time and the other guys as well.
    Dannyf
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:945063542
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3345
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by Dannyf on 02-21-2008 08:30 PM

btreloar Guest

Default Re: AntiVirus Spinning Its Wheels?

Thanks, Fax. I've been living with this problem since your reply -- as it only happens now 1-2 times a week. But closing ZA and restarting doesn't help -- it immediately goes into scan mode upon restarting the program, and freezes again. So a PC reboot is necessary.

Fortunately, a PC reboot solves the problem every time ... until the next time

I'm contacting ZA tech support now.

Thanks to you and everyone else contributing to this thread.

Cheers!
    Bill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information