Thread: Anti-Virus Not showing files scanned

Hybrid View

collie Guest

Default Anti-Virus Not showing files scanned

I'm using v 7.0.462
    with Windows XP... Been using it for years. Recently we're seeing "0" files scanned,even though the scan process runs for hours. It doesn't terminate until I click "skip" And when i doclick "skip", Zone Alarm Pro also becomes Not Responding. I close the scan window and ZA Pro closes.
    Tthe number of files scanned is always "0" and sometimes it runs for hours, much longer than it used to --no virus, and no files scanned. Is it time to download another copy? If so, how do i get the "secret" linkfrom ZA to do this?
    Yes ... I know this is a repeat question from a few weeks ago, but the only info I got then is that theperson replying dropped ZA and went with another product

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Anti-Virus Not showing files scanned

I would suggest a clean uninstall followed by a fresh install of 462. Just follow the subsequent steps. It looks long, but the bulk of the instructions are for two command sequences which are copied and pasted into their respective files and then double-clicked.

Download ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    UNINSTALL
    ---------System Checkpoint
    Reboot Safe Mode (without networking)
    Append " /clean /rmlicense" (without quotes) to the uninstall shortcut target
    Uninstall
    Reboot Safe Mode (without networking)
    Create file ZADelete.bat and edit with Notepad
    Copy and paste the following lines into ZADelete.bat:
    RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs"
    RMDIR /S /Q "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs"
    RMDIR /S /Q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\*.*"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsconfig.xml"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsdata.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsdatant.sys"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsinit.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsmonapi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vspubapi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsregexp.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsutil.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vswmi.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\vsxml.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\zlcomm.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\zlcommdb.dll"
    ECHO Y | DEL /F "C:\WINDOWS\system32\**bleep**.dat"
    Double-click ZADelete.bat
    Empty Recycle Bin
    Create file ZADelete.reg and edit with Notepad
    Copy and paste the following lines into ZADelete.reg:
    REGEDIT4
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Zone Labs]
    [-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Zone Labs]
    Double-click ZADelete.reg
    Reboot Normal Mode

INSTALL (NORMAL MODE BOOT)
    --------------------------
    System Checkpoint
    Install ZoneAlarm
    Anti-virus / Anti-spyware > Update Now (repeat until no further updates)
    Run virus/spyware scan: requested by ZoneAlarm (enables automatic signature updates)

hammernu Guest

I should have clarified: what I refer to as a "System Checkpoint" is simply a System Restore restore point.

hammernu Guest

Sorry it took me so long to reply.
    1) The URL in my previous reply is the best place to get current and previous versions. I've personally downloaded 462 from here and had no problems (and I DO recommend 462; the previous several releases had minor problems that are now corrected). As to your key, as long as you purchased the Pro version, the key should still work on a reinstall unless you copied it down incorrrectly. I've reinstalled several times following this routine and never had a problem with my key. I'm running ZoneAlarm Security Suite but everything I've said should apply to the Pro version.
    3) The shortcut target: In Windows, click Start, All Programs, then navigate to ZoneAlarm and right-click "Uninstall ZoneAlarm ..." (Pro for you, I guess) and click on Properties. Click in the Target field and position your cursor at the very end, past the last character. Now, append the string
    " /clean /rmlicense" (without quotes). Then click the OK button at the bottom.
    4) You're right about creating the files in Notepad. You can save them anywhere, but the Desktop is most convenient. You can delete them when you're all done (or save them for the next time and move them to somewhere safer).
    Yes, these steps make certain that you have removed all traces of ZoneAlarm from your system before trying a fresh install. Perhaps they're overkill but better safe than sorry.
    Good luck.

collie Guest

Thanks for all the help HammerNU ... I'll tackle these instructions in a couple of days.I'm sure it'll all be smooth. You're a genius!Dale

hammernu Guest

By the way, if you're still reading this thread, here's a more general link to the release histories that I should have sent:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...Histories.html

collie Guest

Thanks for your time in providing the detailed instructions. I can do this, but have a couple of questions if ok with you.
    1. The URL to download looks like the place I've had problems in the past with downloading a fresh copy of ZA Antivirus. The download worked, but my key didn't work since it had been used before. Any experience with that?
    2. Thanks for clarification of Restore Point
    3. The portion where you say " Append " /clean /rmlicense" (without quotes) to the uninstall shortcut target "Not sure I know how to add

/clean /rmlicense

to the uninstall short cut target
    4. Create file ZADelete.bat and edit with Notepad -- I take this to mean create a new file using NotePad and paste all following into it. OK, I cn do that, but where exactly do I create the file? Same with .reg?
    I suppose the purpose of these fixes
    is to prevent having the same problems with the freshly downloaded copy?
    I sure appreciate your help on this. ZA has done a good job for me and this seems like some aberration ..
    Dale

Thread Information