ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.248.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.248.000
    Driver version:7.1.248.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:945244850
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200802.3365
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    In addition I have a number of stand alone programs where I can do a spyware scan on request. They do not run unless I request a scan. These programs are:

SpyBot, Ad-Aware, AVG AntiSpyware and SuperAntiSpyware (all the freeware versions)
    Just recently (perhaps after I upgraded ZA to version 7.1.248.000) I have noticed that when I download the latest definitions for SuperAntiSpyware, ZA
    SmartDefense Adviser recommends to deny internet access. Previously ZA was happy with SuperAntiSpyware.
    Has something changed??
    Any views on SpyBot, Ad-Aware, AVG AntiSpyware and SuperAntiSpyware?? Are they useful adjuncts to ZA or a waste of time?? When I run them they usually come up with something (usually a tracking coockie) that ZA has not flagged as Spyware.
    Are their any other freeware programs that are worth considering to run on demand as anti-virus or anti-spyware alongside ZA security Suite??

Default Re: SuperAntiSpyware

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>dogdog wrote:
    Just recently (perhaps after I upgraded ZA to version 7.1.248.000) I have noticed that when I download the latest definitions for SuperAntiSpyware, ZASmartDefense Adviser recommends to deny internet access. Previously ZA was happy with SuperAntiSpyware.Has something changed??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!yes, Superantispyware is in contact with the ZA Pass program to rectify the above. Just set 'superantispyware' smartdefense to custom and allow access to internet.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>dogdog wrote:
    Any views on SpyBot, Ad-Aware, AVG AntiSpyware and SuperAntiSpyware?? Are they useful adjuncts to ZA or a waste of time?? When I run them they usually come up with something (usually a tracking coockie) that ZA has not flagged as Spyware.Are their any other freeware programs that are worth considering to run on demand as anti-virus or anti-spyware alongside ZA security Suite??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Spybot and Ad-aware are IMO a waste of time. Either AVG antispyware or SuperAntiSpyware free (not both) could be combined with ZASS 7.However, I would not allow them to work realtime but only 'on demand'. So, from time to time you can ran them and clean some cookies or dead entries. :8}ZASS 7 has alreadytwo antispyware engines (kaspersky and ZA own engine). If you keep ZASS 7 active and updated and you do not intentionally infect your machine, you will be perfectly fine.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

watcher Guest

Default Re: SuperAntiSpyware

Dear dogdog:

I agree with fax re Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware (free or commercial edition). They were tested recently by PC Magazine and they were poor at the detection and removal of spyware. I have seen no tests of AVG or SUPERAntiSpyware but I prefer commercial antispyware because I believe it is of a better quality than free versions. The top 3 commercial antispyware utilities are Webroot's Spy Sweeper, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, and S-u-n-b-e-l-t-'-s CounterSpy. If I had to choose, I'd take Spy Sweeper. CounterSpy has an enormous installation footprint, mine is 212MB, and updating it can be a nightmare if you have a dial-up connection as it sometimes downloads all the definitions prior to merging them, taking hours(80+MB) to finish. Plus, it fails to detect zipped malware I keep on my PC for testing purposes. SD5 is the best of the 3 for the detection and removal of spyware but when I tested it last year, it used a lot of RAM, over 300MB minimum, with OnGuard(it's real time scanner) and its GUI off. With them on, RAM usage climbed to over 625MB. In contrast, Spy Sweeper does a good job in detection and resource usage.

Since you have ZAISS, I would use its real-time spyware scanner to protect your PC and use either AVG or SUPERAntispyware to provide on-demand scanning. Otherwise, dump one of these and purchase a commercial one for on-demand. It depends on how valuable your data is and what level of protection you desire. Let me recommend a free behavioral-based antispyware program from PC Tools called ThreatFire. It was tested by PC Magazine and performed well in the detection of ACTIVE spyware. It operates both in real time and on demand. It is compatible with other signature-based antispyware programs and uses little RAM. It's good at detecting when a program tries to install new services on your PC(a trick used by spyware and rootkits). You can find it here:

http://www.threatfire.com/download/

Be sure to click on the Get Free button. The Pro version has an integrated antivirus component which you don't need and which would cause problems with ZAISS.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Message Edited by WATCHER on 02-23-2008 08:15 PM

Message Edited by WATCHER on 02-23-2008 08:19 PM

Thread Information