Thread: Brand new to ZA, having a problem with updates

azanewbie Guest

Default Brand new to ZA, having a problem with updates

I've just installed Zone Alarm 7.0 (bought at a store) and am having two problems. I have Windows Vista Home Premium and my browser is IE 7.0.
    The first issue is I cannot get the 71 248 update from ZA to install. At first I was getting an error message that it was "unknown publisher" and therefore would not be allowed to install. I tried to tinker with my permissions to no avail. Now it usually gets to around 24% or 26% and just flat out stops loading and sits there idle. IE also has a bar at the top of my screen saying that IE has blocked downloads from this site.
    The second issue (which may be related) is that the anti-virus and anti-spyware cannot update so my definitions are out of date. I click the update button on the ZA control panel and it starts to update and then just stops.
    Finally, what are the best settings for IE as far as the protected mode, and the best settings under "Server" for Zone Alarm? I am confused as to which applications should have a checkmark and which ones should be given an x or question mark.
    Thanks so much!

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Brand new to ZA, having a problem with updates/ Vista

In regards to versions available - currently there are two &quot;seperate" lines of ZA products: the original -more popular XP/2000 pc line(that's what you have) is up-to-date with <strike>7.0.337 / (7.0.362) + 7.0.408</strike> &gt; 7.0.462 *.<hr>The versions ONLY for Vista is 7.1.078 / new 7.1.248*
    = exclusively.
    Even thou the number is higher, it is not &quot;better&quot;, it is not an upgrade/improvement over the <strike>7.0.337
    or 7.0362
    or 7.0.408 or</strike> 7.0.462. that you and everybody else with XP pc's have. It's just two distinguishing call numbers, that's all, yes.<hr>There is a new
    Vista version
    - 7.1.248* as of 1-25-08 for ZoneAlarm Security Suite
    , ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm (Free firewall)
    - Vista 32 bit OS - only
    .<hr>Please be advised for those who have 7.1.078, the
    7.1.248 version is recommended for use; as it improves and fixes many of the issues that some users have.<hr>

<a target="_blank"></a>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.1.248.000

Note: these notes also apply to ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm (Free firewall) when applicable. For example, improvements to anti-spyware do not apply to our AntiVirus product, but do apply to Suite and Pro that both include anti-spyware features.<ul>[*]ZoneAlarm Pro now available for Windows Vista.[*]Performance improvements:<ul>[*]Improved system boot time[*]Included a new anti-spyware engine[*]Fixed problems with AV on dual-core and hyper-threaded machines.[/list][*]Stability improvements in anti-virus:<ul>[*]Fixed occasional hangs in advanced dialog window[*]Fixed occasional hangs during scan[*]Fixed occasional hangs after repair of archive (or similar) on CD.[/list][*]Additional Stability improvements:<ul>[*]Fixed occasional crashes in vsmon[*]Fixed occasional hangs during shutdown[*]Fixed occasional hangs in UpdClient.[*]Fixed various install and upgrade issues[*]Fixed window activation issue associated with automatic updates[/list][*]Compatibility:<ul>[*]Fixed compatibility issue with Intuit Software[*]Fixed compatibility issue with AIM (AOL Instant Messenger)[*]Fixed compatibility issue with Webroot[/list][*]Anti-virus improvements:<ul>[*]Fixed anti-virus signature versions not showing,[*]Don't reschedule AV updates after initial update completes[*]Fixed renamed items not appearing properly in the AV treatment dialog[/list][*]Anti-spyware improvements:<ul>[*]New anti-spyware engine[*]Fixed issue where AS updates reported the client up to date when the client had no internet access[/list][*]Ease-of-use improvements:<ul>[*]New: Added Automatic Network Configuration to Wizard (will automatically add Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Network Printers and, mapped network drives to trusted zone)[*]Changed update frequency default to every 3 hours[/list][*]Customization improvements:<ul>[*]Made AV/AS update frequency configurable[*]Added Global Reset-to-Default feature (invoked via Ctrl+Shift+right click on ZA icon in system tray).[*]Various other fixes and improvements<hr>For ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite - Vista version 7.1.248.000 was released to the public on January 25, 2008. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here. &lt;&lt;&lt;<hr>For ZoneAlarm Pro - Vista
    version 7.1.248.000
    was released to the public on January 25, 2008. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here. &lt;&lt;&lt;<hr>For ZoneAlarm Antivirus - Vista
    version 7.1.248.000
    was released to the public on January 25, 2008. For changes in this version, click here. To download this version, click here. &lt;&lt;&lt;<hr>7.1 wil be exclusive to Vista only. {32 bit Vista OS - only
    ;
    you can use with 64 bit Memory Processors (AMD 64 bit, etc.) , but the Vista OS (OperatingSystem)
    should still be 32 bit }<hr>[/list][/list]Hello,
    7.1 wil be exclusive to Vista only. {32 bit Vista OS - only
    ;
    you can use with 64 bit Memory Processors (AMD 64 bit, etc.) , but the Vista OS (OperatingSystem)
    should still be 32 bit }
    7.0 (XP/2000) . = This is applies to all current XP/2000 subscribers. Do not attempt to install 7.1 on your XP/2000 pc .

Forum Moderator<hr>New ZoneAlarm 7.0.462* (XP/2000)
    version 11-20-07 / 12-14-07 &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>

You can download the update from our website in the Release History section.<ul>[*]See/ click on
    this link - &gt;&gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...US&amp;lang=en[*][*]&gt;&gt;
    see Product-Specific Support [*][*]&gt;&gt; choose your ZoneAlarm product[*][*]&gt;&gt; see Release History[*][*]&gt;&gt;
    download that latest version.<hr>WINDOWS VISTA INFORMATION CENTER[*][*]See/ click here &gt; http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...US&amp;lang=en[*]<hr>Tips: For first time users of ZoneAlarm - [/list]1- Have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - click here &gt;&gt;&gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZA firewall product. This is an
    important step to follow. &lt;&lt;&lt;
    :0 Use the Removal Tool if applicable - it does make a difference.<hr>2 - do not
    you use any download managers or web accelerators( often used with dial-up) = [these conflict with ZA
    = should not be used] during ZA install<hr>3 - please list other security software -
    ex. - anti-spyware: Spysweeper, SpywareDoctor, CounterSpy, SpyCatcher, Windows Defender,

etc.= these should be shut-off/ shut-down
    prior to installing
    ZA;
    monitoring/performance software - system mechanics, norton utilties/ backups/ ghosts<hr>4 - did you use Microsoft Internet Explorer 6/ 7 or Firefox or others to download? IE 6/ 7 is preferred. &lt;&lt;&lt; Better results, if you temporarily use IE 6/ 7 for downloading any ZoneAlarm firewall product.<hr>5 - in your web browser - if it has security &gt;trusted zone/ site list and pop-up blocker settings - adjust -
    add &quot;download.zonealarm.com&quot; to safe-site/whitelist

and of any pop-blockers software you may have<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>aZANewbie, of the retail box - do not use the CD-rom to install; as the most critical item is the license key. It would be easier to just download 7.1.248 direct and then enter the key. Another important item - make sure the Windows Firewall is turned &quot;off&quot; prior to ZA install and later make sure it's still off.<hr>If Vista security prevents download - you can 'temporarily' shut-off the UAC.
    In your web browser - if it has security &gt; trusted zone/ site list and pop-up blocker settings - adjust -
    add &quot;download.zonealarm.com&quot; to safe-site/whitelist

and of any pop-blockers software you may have. When IE says &quot; IE also has a bar at the top of my screen saying that IE has blocked downloads from this site.&quot; = you can click on the bar and click option &gt; &quot;allow&quot; . In other words, when Vista gives you 'blocks/ prevents' there is usually an option to 'allow or an over-ride or a temporary allow
    - available- somewhere &gt; see below v .'<hr>Once you get ZA running normally, in will be in Learning Mode which will automatically set most of the programs for you. http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=145
    . There is &quot;ZoneAlarm Updating Client&quot; - which should have three green bars, Access - two green checks, Server - will usually be set with two red X's, but when you are 'manually updating &gt; you can change to ' ?? ' if you choose.<hr>Protected Mode - click here &gt; http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ectedmode.mspx
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb250462.aspx
    To temporarily disable Protected Mode - see/ click here &gt; http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...-ad-hoc-basis/<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 2-22-08 - Surrender - Cheap Trick

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 02-22-2008 07:46 PM

azanewbie Guest

<blockquote><hr>aZANewbie, of the retail box - do not use the CD-rom to install; as the most critical item is the license key. It would be easier to just download 7.1.248 direct and then enter the key. Another important item - make sure the Windows Firewall is turned &quot;off&quot; prior to ZA install and later make sure it's still off.<hr></blockquote>That is one of the issues. I have tried to download 7.1.248 and up until today it would get to a certain point and stop downloading OR IE7 would not allow me to download the file (and that was even after I clicked &quot;download file&quot; on the IE message bar). Now I have it downloaded to my desktop but I cannot install it due to an &quot;I/O&quot; error message that then indicates &quot;corrupt file&quot; and some issue with the DLL.

naivemelody Guest

Please check and shut down-down Windows Defender - http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=76299<hr>http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73617 and try again - follow the tips/ guidelines that have been descibed in the links and previous posts. You may also want to check the rest of the forum for insights - with posts having similar problems.<hr>Question - are you a home user or part of university or business network where new installs may not be permittted? Any other 'interesting software' you may have installed? A list of everything would be a help.<hr>:8}NaiveMelody NYC 2-24-08 - The Scientist - Coldplay

Thread Information