Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZASS Auto Update has stopped working

catinabasket Guest

Default ZASS Auto Update has stopped working

I run ZASS 7.0.462.000 latest version, on Windows XP. About a week ago Auto Update stopped working and I cannot jump start it no matter what the update interval I set in Advanced Options. I do not recall changing anything that could have affected this and would like to know what the Program control settings should be, in case any of these are incorrect. Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

lipmanson Guest

Default Re: ZASS Auto Update has stopped working

The same thing has happened to me recently. My details for version and OS are the same as yours. I've been running autoupdate for a long time with no problem, and did not know it was having a problem until the Windows shield popped up and said my virus signatures were out of date. This happens sporadically now. I am able to manually update, however, which I do.

I have set my autoupdates for once/24 hrs. I think the problem may stem from two things: 1)I turn off my computer every evening except on Fridays, at which time I run some heavy maintenance; 2)during business hours, from 7:30AM - 4:30 AM my computer is tied up with receiving and processing a real time datafeed, and when it ends my auto backup procedures kick in for about 30-min. That gives a window of about 2 hours for ZA update to run. Why it doesn't kick in at this time I cannot say. Maybe if it tries 3 times and cannot get out to the internet it gives up for another 24 hrs.

Just guessing here.

catinabasket Guest

Thanks for your reply. My pc is a standalone at home which is connected most of the daytime. Today I changed the update frequency to every hour and according to the log, antivirus has been doing its stuff, but antispyware has not updated once - the log has no entries in it. I wonder if this is normal. I got rid of Norton a couple of years ago because the automatic update stopped working, I hope ZASS is not going the same way!

lipmanson Guest

I've never had Norton on this computer. I used it once on another computer and came to hate all Symantec products. Uninstalling them is an all-day task, and even then traces seem to remain. I use ZASS for all my virus scanning, although it's so slow and cumbersome, even at highpriority, that I run it at 3AM Sat. mornings when nothing else is going on. I have the Spyware piece turned off because its scanning is worse than the virus scanner. Instead, I have Spyware Doctor installed and running. ZA'SS's spyware is not only slow, but it missed a significant number of spyware that were picked up by Spyware Doctor.

catinabasket Guest

Thanks very much. That is very interesting, I used to use Counterspy as well as Symantec but thought that ZASS could cover the lot. Maybe I must go back to belt and braces approach!

Hi!
    a side note, I would warmly suggest not to run ZASS with SpywareDoctor, SpySweeper or CounterSpy.
    I have seen many conflicts been reported here... and value added is very very limited.

And for your problem, better you do a nice and clean removal of ZASS with /clean and /rmlicence switches.
    Clean your system and registry (e.g. ccleaner) and then reinstall.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

catinabasket Guest

Thank you for your advice Guru Fax, I will bear it in mind. The strange thing is that antispyware shows itself updated at the same time as antivirus (on that screen) but nothing is shown in the antispyware log.

Hi!
    Did the antispyware log ever showed autoupdate?
    I don't think so.

Check under the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab, "definition last update" should be the same for both antivirus and antispyware (may be one/two minutes of difference). If it is, your antispyware is working correctly.

And we are at DAT file version 01.200803.3425 (antispyware)

Cheers,
    Fax

lipmanson Guest

Guru:

I've read this elsewhere on the Forum in several places, and I'm sure your advice is based on experiences of users.

When I installed this latest version of ZA SS (7.0.462), however, I did not have Spyware Doctor installed, and was using ZA SS for spyware control and scans. I was so disgusted with the slow performance for scans in v.462 that I brought in a trial copy of Spyware Doctor. Not only was it 10 times faster, but it found beaucoup spyware objects that ZA SS had been missing and should have found. After that I disabled the spyware piece in ZA and have been using a purchased copy of Spyware Doctor for all spyware control. I've not run into any problems between the two programs so far, and for the next upgrade of ZASS will probably take out Spyware Doctor and give ZASS another chance. My experience has been that with each successive upgrade of ZASS, the virus and spyware pieces have deteriorated in performance. I would really like to use ZA for spyware -- after all I pay for the capability -- but until it's at least as good or better than the competition, I can't justify it.

Hi!
    what exactly was detected by SD?
    Most probably harmless cookies and/or dead entries or false positives.

The fact that an application found something does not always mean that it did actually found something relevant or dangerous.
    Marketing is pushing users to buy multiple software to do the same thing resulting in more troubleshooting or applications fighting for resources and blocking each other.

Antispyware in ZASS is quite fast actually (unless you put in deep scan.. not really needed) and it should not take more than 10-15 minutes to scan your system. ZA antivirus speed can be tuned in the advanced options of the ZA antivirus/antispyware tab (scan priority). If you set to HIGH it should running noticeably faster.

But if you are happy with the combo ZASS/SD than no need to change...

Cheers,
    Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information