Thread: ZAISS Disabled by ?

goingconcern Guest

Default ZAISS Disabled by ?

On the morning of March 1, I awoke to find Windows XP SP2 Security Center warning me that I had no Anti-virus protection.

Sure enough, overnight my ZAIS 7.0.486.000 Anti-Virus real-time protection had been turned off. The Anti-Spyware protection was still on, but further investigation revealed that my firewall had also been turned off. Entries had disappeared completely for firewall zones and myVault, partially for programs and privacy site lists and my various ZAISS settings had been weakened.

The ZAISS logs were empty, but I searched the PC for *.logs to see if I could find anything. I found a kave_876.log, which began at 12:12am March 1 with an execution error, followed by a dump.

Nothing else seemed amiss. I restored the settings and ran my SpySweeper 5.5.7.124 (clean) then ZAISS Anti-virus, which hung scanning C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components\jar50.dll. I rebooted and re-ran the scan on the Program Files\Mozilla Firefox directory - this time it was ran clean.

Wondering if I'd been hit by some sort of leap year-triggered malware, I set the clock back a couple of days and restored my disk to a Feb. 28 image. I'll see if it triggers again when my clock reaches March 1 tonight.

Any idea what hit me?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by goingconcern on 03-02-2008 07:27 PM

Default Re: ZAISS Disabled by ?

Hi!
    this sounds more a corruption of the ZA database that resulted in multiple failures into different services of the ZASS 7.

Corruption of ZA settings can be originated by:

- Crash/hang of the system;
    - Cold shutdown of the system (i.e. improper shutdown)
    - Malware infections and
    - Conflicts with installed applications.

The latter could best explain your problems since you are using SS together with ZASS.
    ZASS does often conflict with SS including causing failures in updating and functioning of ZASS.
    Just search the board and you will find a lot of messages regarding conflicts with SS and ZASS.

Unfortunately, ZASS 7 and its Kaspersky module for antivirus protection is very sensitive to many security tools especially for the ones that overlap in the type of protection provided.

If you want to continue to use ZASS 7 better you have a clean PC, ensure that ZASS works as it should and only after install additional tools (if you really need to).

SS will add very little to your protection (i.e. detecting cookies and dead entry) if your keep ZASS always active, updated and running.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

goingconcern Guest

Thanks for the assessment, Fax!

I wasn't able to duplicate the (March 1 midnight) problem, but the PC did hang late last week (currently the hard disk is very full and the page file gets heavily fragmented) so I'm guessing it's related to that.

Before upgrading ZAISS from 6.5 to 7.0, I know there was a lot of debate over compatibility with other anti-spyware, but many users seemed to find running SS concurrently was OK, so I kept my SS (and dropped Spyware Doctor). That was 2 months ago, and my experience has been that ZAISS/Kaspersky and SS have co-existed quite well since then, so I'd rather keep the status quo.

I've defragged the disk and backed up my latest ZAISS settings. If anything recurs in the next few days, I'll post back here, otherwise thanks again for the useful advice.

You're welcome!

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information