Thread: Server Busy Message

donal Guest

Default Server Busy Message

I have followed all suggestions in order to be able to update ZA Anti-Spyware, but continue to receive the server busy message. I have gone to safe mode and deleted all files in the Update folder, while logged in as administrator. After doing this, I tried to update manually., but received the server busy message again.
    Then,
    I went back to safe mode and checked that the Update folder had no files in it, especially localcatalog.xml. I was empty. I tried a manual update again and still received tht server busy message.
    Does anyone have suggestions as to what I should I do next to update the software?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Server Busy Message

Perhapsa the servers are busy. It happened to me once with ZA-AS but next day was ok.
    Try resets of the database(s) - but you will lose your settings, so preserve them, but don't use them after resets, since, MAYBE, they got corrupted. This will feel like a new installation:
    1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after reboot

If it does not help, post back and/or, since you're a paying customer, contact the ZA help desk with your license key on hand
    http://www.zoneAlarm.com/tsform

donal Guest

Thank you for your reply suggesting the next step after deleting localcatalog.xml. Amazingly, this morning when I booted up, I received a message box from ZA that said upgrade is complete. My preference had been set to manual, so I was surprised. I guess my upgrade is OK now. I checked the version and it is 7.0 460.000. Do you know if there is a way to check if this is the latest update?
    Your comment that the server may have been busy yesterday is probably the reason I was not able to upgrade yesterday, but was able to do so today.
    The
    bad news is that after upgrading, I changed the update setting to manual and tried to update this morning and received the server busy message again.
    While I feel that the upgrade was probably successful this morning, I fear that next time, I will have to go through this time consuming process again. I hope that ZA upgrades its server before then.
    Thanks again for you help.

<blockquote><hr>Donal wrote:
    Thank you for your reply suggesting the next step after deleting localcatalog.xml. Amazingly, this morning when I booted up, I received a message box from ZA that said upgrade is complete. My preference had been set to manual, so I was surprised. I guess my upgrade is OK now. I checked the version and it is 7.0 460.000. Do you know if there is a way to check if this is the latest update?
    Your comment that the server may have been busy yesterday is probably the reason I was not able to upgrade yesterday, but was able to do so today.
    The
    bad news is that after upgrading, I changed the update setting to manual and tried to update this morning and received the server busy message again.
    While I feel that the upgrade was probably successful this morning, I fear that next time, I will have to go through this time consuming process again. I hope that ZA upgrades its server before then.
    Thanks again for you help.
    <hr></blockquote>

Even if there is a new release, not everyone gets the new release all at the same time. The updates are slowly doled out to all and everyone finally will get the newest version.
    For the most part, a newer version is not all that critical - maybe a few changes in the datafiles or a modifed .dll but usually nothing significant. The driver usually stays the same. It is only on some rare occasions that there is a real major change happening- such as a new feature added or reworked executibles or drivers. And that usually only happens with every new major series introduction (5 or 6 or 7 and the future 8). The releases that are "inbetween" are usually just "bug fix" or small improvement releases - if there was nothing wrong with the older version on the PC, then the need to immediately update is not so important.

The servers are usually busy for several weeks after a new release and cannot handle the extra load (as you have already surmised). I think the ZL set the servers to time out or show an usual web connection error page when the servers are over worked, thus stopping the connection before they get too involved.

The ZA Antispyware release history and download links for your ZA AS subscription can be found here. This way you can both check for the latest release and manually download the latest ZA firewall release for the installation.

Cheers.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-05-2008 01:07 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

happyhopping Guest

I have similar problem and I don't know if it is my machine or not. I have a virus, so I formated my hard drive and re-install everything from scratch. During that time, i have a temporary machine, and ZA suite 7.047 is on. So about 2 hr. ago, I try to manually updated the anti-virus and spyware on my new machine. I got

"
    Anti virus
    Error: Unable to connect

Anti spyware
    couldn't connect to server (http://upd.zonelabs.com/zonealarm/on...alog.zip&quot;)

So I go back to my temp machine, and w/i 45 sec. or so, I updated my signature.

So I then go back to the new machine and try to update it again, and get the above error. IT's now 2 hr. later, same error.

Also, while I'm here, why is it that ZA uses some no. to represent its antivirus ver. no.? Who would know that's current? CA only uses the date, for e.g., to view CA etrust signature, it would show signature updated as of Apr 5, 2008.

For instance, right now, I like to see if my signature is up todate, or how far it is behind? There is no way for me to find that out, and if they uses date, it would fix the above problem

donal Guest

Thanks for the background on updates. It helps me put these downloads into perspective.

Open the ZA in the safe mode and open the windows\sytem32\zoneIabs folder. Some where there should be a zadb?.dat file (xomething like this but it is definitely a .dat file). Delete it.
    Then open the windows\internet logs folder and delete any .rdb, .lfb, .log and .zip files.
    Clean ther recycle bin.
    Reboot back into the normal mode.

This should fix the spyware scanner and possiblely also the antivirus update issues.

CA is not used in the ZA 7.x versions. It is now the kaspersky antivirus (suppose to be a superior antivirus engine and definitions).

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 04-06-2008 07:52 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

You are welcome Donal

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information