Thread: Intenet Lock working to well

hughman Guest

Default Intenet Lock working to well

Hello All

I am running ZA Anti-Virus version 7.0.470.000. Instead of a long winded email, I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I use AT&T Yahoo, which connects me with the Internet using Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE).
    MS OS is XP Service Pack 2 on a desktop. The other day using the 'Program Control' - 'Main' GUI, I activated the
    'Automatic Internet Lock' feature with a 10 min idle setting. I set 'allow pass-lock' programs access to the Internet.
    If I let the counter lapse, that is if the Internet Lock activates, OR if I place the computer in Standby mode, and I come back to the computer later and reactivate the computer, I can't get to the internet period.

The standby mode I understand in that the AT&T server doesn't 'see' my computer for about an hour so it instructs the router (2Wire) that my connection is dead and 'pulls' the IP address. When I go 'live' again and come out of standby, the DHCP stack should assign an IP address. Well it isn't.

What I don't understand is if I leave the PC on all the time, but the IL locks, I can't get back to the net even if I turn IL off.Yesterday was the worst. Re-Booted 3 times, couldn't get to the internet. Finally I had to roll-back to an earlier restore point and after the re-boot I was able to get to the net no problems at all. Net was fine the whole time as my laptop using WiFi could connect at all times even though the desktop was slammed.

Can any of you share your troubleshooting experiences regarding the Internet Lock feature. Why won't it allow my desktop to access the net even if I
    turn it off? Have any of you found a means of activating the IL, experienced the same problem, yet found a solution?

Sincerely

Hugh

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Intenet Lock working to well

If you do not have the DHCP server, DNS servers (of the router or ATT) and the loopback address as Trusted, that's likely the reason = loss of connection.
    See if this Oldsod's thread helps you and I quote every single word

"Something like this:

1. Go to Run type in command, hit OK, and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted
    3. Click OK and then Apply for each one.
    4. The loopback must be listed as Trusted. It has the address of 127.0.0.1
    5 The Generic Host Process or the svchost.exe listed in the Program list must have both Trusted and Internet access and it must have server rights for the Trusted Zone, but not the Internet Zone.

http://zonelabs.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html"

hughman Guest

Zasuiteuser

Thanks for the info.

I ran the ipconfig /all, and the DNS Servers and DHCP server have the same IP address. I don't see a
    Generic Host Process in the GUI you mentioned, i.e. 'Firewall' -> 'Zones'. When I let the mouse cursor hover in the upper right hand corner of ZAAV
    it reads 'Generic Host Procees for Win32 services', however in the Firewall/Zones GUI it reads "New Network", with entry type as 'network', and is set to 'trusted'.

I entered the IP address of the DNS Servers/DHCP Server into the 'trusted zone'. Loopback is exactly as written.

Question: Is my config now ready for me to re-initiate the ZAAV Automatic Internet Block?

Sincerely

Hugh

zaswing Guest

Please, reread point 5. Generic Host is on the PROGRAMS tab. Just give it 3 checks from the left. No more.

Thread Information