Thread: AV scan errors after updt 70.470 Boot Sector , Error parameter is incorrect, handle is invalid

tomhass Guest

Default AV scan errors after updt 70.470 Boot Sector , Error parameter is incorrect, handle is invalid

I am really worrried that I may have a boot sector virus. Not sure how it got in (I am careful about keeping ZA up to date and running Spybot etc. every week or so). I am hoping it is a known "gotcha" with ZA ISS...pray please....
    I have seen a similar thread but it did not give a definite fix (suggested maybe try
    fixmbr which will kill my 2nd partition) and no answer from ZA as to why error.
    Only noticed it after update from 70.462 to 70.470 - ran an AV update and scan soon after in-place upgrade of ZAISS - errors:-
    1. Boot Sector - Error The parameter is incorrect (several lines of this error)2. file_name (various locations) - Error Access is denied (several)3. filename (various locations) - Error The handle in invalid (several)4. filename - Error The storage control block address in invalid (1 occurrence)5. filename - Error The environment is incorrect (1 occurence)

Thanks
    Tom

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: AV scan errors after updt 70.470 Boot Sector , Error parameter is incorrect, handle is invalid

If you're system is still bootable, try running chkdsk: My Computer > right-click on C: drive > Tools tab > Error Checking: Check Now > check both boxes > Start. Then reboot.
    If you can't boot: boot from your Windows XP Home install CD-ROM, select the Recovery Console, and enter the command: chkdsk /r .

tomhass Guest

Default Re: AV scan errors after updt 70.470 Boot Sector , Error parameter is incorrect, handle is invalid

Hi HammerNU
    Tried the chkdsk but it reported no errors. I tried Av scan again but same results.

Any other suggestions please ?

Thanks
    tomhass

stupefy Guest

tomhass,

By default, the logging of Anti-virus scanning errors is disabled:

Doubleclick ZoneAlarm Icon/Alerts & Logs/Advanced/Alert Events

Under the Log column untic the box next to Anti-virus scanning errors.....
    You will no longer see the scanning errors in the report:

Alerts & Logs/Log Viewer/ -then- choose Anti-virus from the Drop List

However, it is good to have the box checked as one can see any errors generated during any one scan.....

The errors you are viewing concerning the items you listed 1 through 5, The Handle is Invalid, The Parameter is Invalid, Access Denied, and so on, are not critical errors in the Operating System.....these errors are generated because ZoneAlarm can not scan files that are in use.....there is nothing wrong with your Computer.....

I have the same exact errors displayed in my reports and like you was concerned.....I telephoned ZoneAlarm Support reporting the symtoms and the support guy made out an support ticket telling me that in a few hours I will have an answer via Email.....sure enough in three hours time I recieved an answer.....the answer was:

'ZoneAlarm can not scan files that are in use'

This makes
    logic, as the files in question are Operating System Files that are in use.....
    I have since then stopped worring about it and left the box checked just in case there are any other errors that might arise.....

Clean install of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v7.0.470.000 (no problems)

Hope this helps,

stupefy

tomhass Guest

I am still getting the same errors - apart from the acknowledgement email I got from ZA support about 3 weeks ago on this I have had no further response from them....which I think is rather poor even by the poor IT support standards I expect from most IT product companies these days.
    I tried to nudge them by sending a response to their acknowledgement email asking for info but got this reply back:-

/snip/The incoming email file you sent to FootPrints
    attempted to append to entry.
    The append failed. Perhaps this entry does not
    exist, or you are not allowed to append to it.
    /snip/
    Has anyone out there got any ideas on how I can move forward on this ?

Thanks

tomhass

Hi!
    probably the response has been junked out by the ISP or mail.
    Use a free mail hosting services to submit again your issue.

The best are hotmail, gmail or yahoo.
    Check in the spam folder once you have sent out the request.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information