Thread: Can't run Zone Alarm in safe mode

Hybrid View

mattjones Guest

Default Can't run Zone Alarm in safe mode

Ever since I put Zone Alarm on my desktop it keeps freezing up.
    I think my wife had the computer online in-between taking off our old anti-virus and putting on the new zone alarm.
    I want to run the computer in safe mode to check it for viruses and spyware but zone alarm will not open in safe mode.
    Anyone know what is wrong?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

findley Guest

Default Re: Can't run Zone Alarm in safe mode

<blockquote><hr>mattjones wrote:
    Ever since I put Zone Alarm on my desktop it keeps freezing up.
    I think my wife had the computer online in-between taking off our old anti-virus and putting on the new zone alarm.
    I want to run the computer in safe mode to check it for viruses and spyware but zone alarm will not open in safe mode.
    Anyone know what is wrong?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:

Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>mattjones,
    Issue: ZA not running in Safe Mode
    Are you running ZAISS version 7.0.462.000?
    With the release of that version ZAISS did not run in Safe Mode; the new release version 7.0.470.000 corrects this and runs in Safe Mode with Networking.
    ZAISS release notes:http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite version 7.0.470.000

Note: these notes also apply to ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm (free firewall) when applicable. For example, improvements to anti-spyware do not apply to our AntiVirus product, but do apply to Suite and Pro that both include anti-spyware features.<ul>[*]Usability improvements:<ul>[*]Fixed the issue where in some cases the client would lose settings, causing user to respond to alerts that otherwise would not appear[*]Prevent unnecessary error dialog to be displayed for non-Admin users[*]Client can now be started in safe mode (with networking only) for antivirus scan and removal[/list][*]Compatibility improvements:<ul>[*]Enable content filtering and privacy when ForceField is active[*]Fixed the Spy Doctor Gate to only gate for 5.0 and earlier[*]Free ZoneAlarm firewall and ZoneAlarm Pro can now co-exist with Kaspersky AV[/list][*]Various other stability and performance improvements[/list]

Issue:
    I also noted the freezing and removal of old anti-virus in your post

Just some thoughts:
    Before installing ZAISS did you completely remove the old anti-virus software or was it another security suite?
    Both McAfee and Norton require the use of their removal tools to completely uninstall their products.
    Both McAfee and Norton
    leave files and registry entries behind which have caused problems for other users, thus the recommended action of using the removal tools.
    This may or may not be involved with the freezing issue.

If you need them,

Removal Tool Links:

McAfee removal tool

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...05&amp;partner

Norton removal tool link

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ent&amp;seg=hm

Hope this helps you.

Findley

mattjones Guest

Thanks for the reply.
    I am running version 7.1.248.000.
    Does that help?

jdoliver Guest

Your original post said you were running Windows XP Home.
    This one says you are running ZA version 7.1.248.000. That version is Vista ONLY. You should NOT be running it with XP.
    Over to a guru for advise on how to uninstall it and install 7.0.470 which is the latest XP version.

mr_yoda Guest

I've just tried to scan in safe mode but it won't do it. I'm running the latest Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite on a single computer, do I need to be on a network to scan in safe mode or is there a setting which you need to adjust to make it work in safe mode?

jdoliver Guest

I tried
    ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version:7.0.470.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:948388898
    and it did work in safe mode with networking. I did not try simple safe mode

Thread Information