Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invalid file handles, incorrect environment and incorrect boot sector parameters

panasher Guest

Default Invalid file handles, incorrect environment and incorrect boot sector parameters

I may be in deep trouble, but I'm hoping my anti-virus scan failures are not unusual.

Every time ZoneAlarm Security Suite scans my C: drive, it scans thousands of files reporting no problem. However, for 37 files it reports that the scan failed because the "handle" was invalid. It also fails in scanning 13 files because the "environment" is incorrect. And also, it fails to scan my boot sector because the "parameter" is incorrect.

I really don't know what file handles or environments are. Also, I have no idea what the parameters of the boot sector are. And, in any case, I don't know how to fix any of these problems.

Do these scan failures indicate my system is infected? Many of the files are log files, some are dat files, quite a few with incorrect environments are Spybot Search and Destroy files. A few are zip files.

I don't know how worried I should be.

One of the files is a file for a Palm application which I rather doubt would be infected.

Can anyone give me advice as to how I should proceed? Is there a way to fix these "broken" files and boot sector?

Could any of these scan failures be nothing to worry about?

Do I need to do a clean install?

Thanks for any advice and help anyone can provide for me.

Sincerely,
    panasher

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: Invalid file handles, incorrect environment and incorrect boot sector parameters

You might want to check the disk for hardware problems. Open My Computer, right click the C drive, select Properties. That should open a pane with tabs. Select the Tools tab and use the error-checking option.
    Good Luck!

panasher Guest

Default Re: Invalid file handles, incorrect environment and incorrect boot sector parameters

Thanks for your reply. I have run Windows XP Pro's scandisk and I have run GRC's Spinrite on my drive and this hasn't fixed the problems. So, I'm still looking for an answer. I appreciate your input.

panasher

findley Guest

panasher,
    I have read about these type of AV scan errors before in this forum
    but have not
    seen a
    definitive explanation of what you are reporting.
    Probably a good idea to
    provide detailed info to Technical support (like you listed in your first post)
    Here's the link to technical support: http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp
    Please post back your results.
    If you are really worried about being infected, run an online scanner or two and you'll know whether your computer has problems.
    www.ewido.net

free online scannerwww.housecall.trendmicro.com

free online scanner

Hope this helps,Findley

Message Edited by Findley on 11-25-2007 12:28 PM

panasher Guest

Findley,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have just submitted a description of my problem to ZoneAlarm Technical Support. (Ironically, I couldn't submit it in Firefox. I had to copy and paste it all into Internet Explorer in order for my problem to be submitted.)

Thanks again
    panasher

findley Guest

panasher,
    You are very welcome.
    Please post back results.

Also here are a couple more links on free online scanners:
    McAfee AVERT Stinger
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    F-Securehttp://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml
    Regards,Findley

martytx Guest

panasher,
    Did you ever get an answer from Tech Support?

I have the same type problem.
    I also get the boot sector failures.
    I'd really appreciate it if you'd pass on any
    "wisdom" Tech Support might have given you.

Thanks, Marty
    Here's
    part of my
    post from 12/12:

(The title
    of the post
    is: By default in ZAAV, logging of anti-virus Scanning Errors is turned off)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I had erroneously assumed that all my AV scans had completed 100% successfully, but that was not the case.
    I had over 150 entries with some form of "error" in the Action column.

The error messages in my log were:
    Error: Access is denied.
    Error: Not enough storage is available to process this command.
    Error: The environment is incorrect.
    Error: The handle is invalid.
    Error: The parameter is incorrect.
    Error: The storage control block address is invalid.
    The majority of the errors dealt with SpySweeper and SpyBot items.
    No real surprise that ZoneAlarm, SpySweeper and SpyBot "don't play well together".
    Also, some old programs written for Windows 3.1 caused errors;
    likewise, some old compressed files caused ZAAV problems.
    Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

panasher Guest

MartyTX,

ZoneLabs tech support didn't tell me what any of the listed problems indicated, or if they were a sign of infection. I was somewhat dissatisfied with their help. I still don't know what file handles, environments and boot sector parameters are nor what they should be.

The advice I was given was to install the latest version of ZoneAlarm Security Suite, which I did. After solving some problems with the Trusted Zone and computers on my home network, I configured the anti-virus and anti-spyware scans to be as thorough as possible.

For a few days, the logs of my virus scans just indicated "scan complete" without listing any errors and I thought the problem was solved. A couple of weeks later, I looked at the logs again and all the scan/treat failures were back.

Even though my computer seems to operate without problems, I suspect it is infected. I'm particularly suspicious of a scanning process listed in Task Manager. The process comes from the file: C:\Windows\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\ScanningProcess .exe. Windows Defender says this file is not signed, the publisher is not available nor the version number. It is listed in Windows Defender as having Process ID: 2500.

I think this file was installed the same day I upgraded ZASS, but I'm not certain. It may be a legitimate file from ZoneLabs, but I don't think so, because it is unsigned and no information is known about the file. I don't know enough about processes to know what Process 2500 is.

I just haven't had time to contact tech support again to check this out. Doing so is on my list.

Sorry it took so long to reply to you. I haven't been keeping up with my email. Just tonight, I saw that someone had posted a reply to my post.

panasher

martytx Guest

panasher,
    ScanningProcess.exe is a ZoneAlarm file.

I
    have the file as part of ZAAV.
    When I scan the file,
    I get a "Scan Completed" action message, not a failure message.

It's scary thinking that
    an antivirus program itself could be infected!

I still keep getting the failure messages, and haven't gotten with Tech Support yet.
    The universal fix seems to be to remove all of ZA from your PC and do I clean reinstall.
    Personally,
    I think that's a heavyhanded approach.
    A well written program should not be so prone to have
    problems when you do a version upgrade.

I'll also put contacting Tech Support on my list ... for early 2008!
    Regards,Marty

panasher Guest

MartyTX,

Thanks for the information. Well, if scanningprocess.exe truly is a ZASS file, I don't see why ZoneLabs is not listed as the author or publisher and why they didn't digitally sign to validate the file. The TrueVector Service file, vsmon.exe, is a product of ZoneLabs and digitally signed by CheckPoint. (If you right click a file name and then click on "Properties," you will see information about the file's credentials.)

I think the advice you say you were given is probably what I should do also. That is, uninstalling all ZoneAlarm files from my computer, then re-installing ZoneAlarm Security Suite. If you weren't given the information, tech support should give you instructions for removing all ZoneAlarm files from your computer. A simple uninstall is incomplete.

I've known I should do this, myself, for quite a while, but I guess I've been putting it off. It's somewhat tedious removing all evidence of ZoneAlarm from my computer--I've done it before. What has made me put this off is the idea that, if I'm infected, I probably will get the infection again. But, maybe not--one should think positively.

Best of luck on this,

panasher

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information