Thread: Scanning Priority Setting

zeke Guest

Default Scanning Priority Setting

I'm reading suggestions to set priority to "high" to speed up scanning.
    I'm curious if this setting only affects the on demand scanning or affects all scanning including real time.
    If it is only on demand, I would set it as high all the time.
    If it is all scanning, I would set it as low, but change to high when doing a full computer scan.
    Any advice or opinions?
    Thanks................

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

stupefy Guest

Default Re: Scanning Priority Setting

zeke,
    By default the Anti-Virus automatically scans the System every thirty days and,by default the Anti-Spyware automatically scans the System once every week.
    Setting the Scan Options to: High (Faster scans, slower PC) I believe is a Global Setting for all scansoubleClick ZoneAlarm Icon/Anti-virus Anti-spyware/Advanced Options/Virus Management/Scan Options/Set scanning priority:/ -andfrom the Drop List choose: High (Faster scans, slower PC)
    My Scan Options setting is on High along with the Automatic Scan Schedule set to automatically scan the System at a time when I am not using the computeroubleClick ZoneAlarm Icon/Anti-virus Anti-spyware/Advanced Options/Scan Schedule/
    I have noticed very little tax on the System when a scan is running while using the computer.....
    I have an High End Processor,
    2 GB
    of RAM, large Hard Drive,
    with
    Paging File size 1.5 times the amount of RAM (Microsoft recommended size) with Initial size and Maximum size to the same setting '3072 MB'
    Setting the Paging File
    Initial and Maximum size to the same size saves Memory Resourcses as Windows does not have to constantly expand and contract the Paging File, also, if you are not using Speech to Text, I strongly recommend turning it off:START/Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Languages/Details.../Advanced/ -thenunder the heading 'System Configuration' Enable the Check Box 'Turn off advanced text services' (this action will speed up your System Resourceses) after clicking Apply and OK appropriately Reboot the Computer
    I also strongly recommend turning off the Indexing Service (such a waste of memory and resources):START/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services/ -thenfrom the list on the right, Right Click the 'Indexing Service' and choose 'Properties'Stop the service by clicking the 'Stop' button (the service may or may not stop at this time) then from the 'Startup type Drop List' choose 'Disabled' and Reboot the Computer (the indexing service will now be stopped)
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v7.0.470.000 (clean install)Windows XP Home SP2
    Hope this helps,stupefy

zeke Guest

Well, thanks for all of that, but my question is whether the scanning priority setting affects real-time scanning or just on-demand scanning.

Anyone know?

Thxs

Hi!
    in principle both since the priority for the scanningprocess is changed at the level of the system.
    But as already mentioned I also cannot see any 'on access' adverse effect on the system... at least here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information