Thread: Antivirus Update fails

saganami Guest

Default Antivirus Update fails

ZA frequently tries to update antivirus definitions but fails. There is no error message and when I try to do the update manually the update dialog box just disappears with no error message, never having connected. This all but locks up my machine when the update tries to run.

Help!!!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

stupefy Guest

Default Re: Antivirus Update fails

saganami,
    Try this:
    (1) Set the Time on the Computer - even if the current time reads correct, set it anyway(2) Navigate to: C:\Windows\Prefetch (highlight the prefetch folder and delete all the contents - the contents not the folder)(3) Reboot the Computer (wait for
    the system and zonealarm to stabilize - confirm this by making sure windows security center
    reports that zonealarm firewalland zonealarm anti-virus are started(4) Right Click the Network Icon and choose 'Repair'(5) START/Run (type in)

cmdat the command prompt type in

ipconfig /flushdns

and press 'Enter' (notice the space between ipconfig and /)
    If that does not work, Try this:
    If you are using ZoneAlarm v7.0.470.000(1) Hold down Ctrl + Shift and right click the ZoneAlarm Icon and choose 'Reset'(2) Follow instructions

If you are using
    ZoneAlarm version less than v7.0.470.000
    (1) Boot into safe mode and navigate to: C:\ Windows\Internet Logs (highlight the internet logs folder and delete all the contents - the contents not the folder)(2) Reboot the Computer
    Link to ZoneAlarm Internet Security Release History:http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

If you Upgrade to the current version:(1) DoubleClick ZoneAlarm Icon/Overview/Perferences/ -then(2) Under the 'General' heading untic the box 'Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup'(3) RightClick ZoneAlarm Icon and choose 'Shutdown ZoneAlarm Security Suite'(4) Reboot the Computer(5) Install the Upgrade through Control Panel Add or Remove Programs and choose 'Clean Install'(6) DoubleClick ZoneAlarm Icon/Overview/Perferences/ -then(7) Under the 'General' heading re-tic the box 'Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup'(8) Reboot the Computer
    Hope this helps,stupefy

Message Edited by stupefy on 04-12-2008 04:05 AM

saganami Guest

First, thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to understand your instructions, so I'm not just blindly changing things. I'd like to have a little more insight into how ZA works, at least so far as it can help me trouble shoot this type of problem for myself. If you would, how will these steps help and what should they accomplish?

I've read of how the prefetch directory contains list of files in the order they should be loaded into memory for certain applications as they're run. If I understand this correctly, deleting the entire contents will be counter productive.

Again, thanks for taking the time to try and help.

Message Edited by saganami on 04-16-2008 07:43 PM

buckeyeroy Guest

I have similar problem - tried your suggestion - still have problem.
    Downloaded and installed ver 7.0.470.000 update several weeks ago. All works fine except
    can't update AV or Spyware definitions.

Get message "unable to connect" Tried your first suggestion-no change. Tried second
    suggestion - at Cntl+Shift,right click ZA icon see dialog box but no "reset" option.

Using Win XP,home and Mozilla Firefox. Any more suggestions?

saganami Guest

was finally able to update to 7.0.47 which seems to have solved my problems.

Thread Information