Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saving jump drive documents while running ZoneAlarm causes file corruption >Update ZA

thewatcheruatu Guest

Default saving jump drive documents while running ZoneAlarm causes file corruption >Update ZA

Something bizarre is happening on one of the computers on which I have ZoneAlarm Antivirus installed, and I'm just going to put these details out there and see if anybody has any ideas. When working with a Microsoft Word 2003 document in Windows Vista with ZoneAlarm running, I can create a file just fine and maybe even save it once or twice, but invariably, and quite often, when attempting to save a document that already exists, I will receive a prompt that says:
    "Windows cannot save due to a file permission error." My only option at this point is to click OK, at which point the file immediately transforms somehow into
    into a temporary file and
    I
    receive the error message,
    "You cannot save while the file is in use by another process.Try saving the file with a new name."
    There is a tab here
    to
    "see details", and that reveals that
    the file is
    either being used on another computer or something or was locked by another application
    on my computer. But I also remember previous times it telling me something about "not able to find drive" or "check if drive is closed" or something like that...
    If I actually attempt to save the file with a new name, as it recomments, the file crashes, disappears, and I lose the entire document in every way, shape, and form. When this has occurred, the only solution has been to shut down ZoneAlarm, and with that closed, I actually CAN save the file. There is quite clearly a correllation between running ZoneAlarm and instances of this error, since it NEVER occurs when ZoneAlarm is in the shutdown state.
    Can anybody take a stab at what might be the root of this problem? I've gone so far as to totally uninstall ZA and reinstall it, starting at square one for all of the firewall settings. Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to pay to talk to ZA tech support. I kind of feel that software that I purchase should just work the way it's supposed to. As to the computer itself, it's patched up pretty much in every conceivable way (Windows, hardware drivers, software, etc.).

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: saving jump drive documents while running ZoneAlarm causes file corruption

Actually I had the same problem without ZA installed. I turned off the windows security Center and the IAC and the problem stopped. I am not sure if that did it, or an update did it or exaclty what did it. I was really frustrated with Vista at the same time, as well as all the junk Dell installed, so just a bit after that I did a fdisk and reinstall.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

thewatcheruatu Guest

Default Re: saving jump drive documents while running ZoneAlarm causes file corruption

Thanks for the reply. I installed Service Pack 1 for Vista a couple of days ago. Maybe by some miracle that will help. I haven't thought to test it out yet. It isn't as though this is the only weird thing that has happened on this Vista machine (I've found the computer to be fairly unstable, though whether that's the operating system, the drivers, the hardware, the software, or...well, who knows?), so I guess I couldn't say for certain that the problem is being caused, necessarily, by ZA, though it's certain that ZA isn't helping things.

valkyri Guest

Installing SP won't be the answer.
    I just finally upgraded to Security Suite
    7.0.47.000 yesterday and am finding many of the same problems others and complaining about.
    In regards to this issue, it just happend to me using XP Home SP2 and MS Word 2002 SP3.
    This is NOT a windows issue at all, it is a bug in ZA.
    I too got the open drive drive splash and a couple others, then it closed Word saving the file as a temp file that I have been unable to reopen with any word processing program.
    Any clue on how to recover the file?
    I just worked about 15 hours on this project and was on the final proof and save when it happened, I really don't want to start over from scratch.
    I never had a problem like this until the ZA upgrade.

thewatcheruatu Guest

Yikes--I wish I could help. We've been lucky enough when it happened us to have back-ups on the computer, itself, so we haven't lost anything major yet. I haven't had any luck opening those weird temp files. When we try, it just warns us with some sort of message about it being corrupted or something, and then Windows destroys the file. If there isn't an auto-save available, I'm not sure what you can do. Sorry, Valkyri. Wish I could be more useful.

Go into word help and do a search on recovery. There is a way to get to the last open version (unless it was to corrupted, and assuming that you have the timed save turned on).

I will try word and see if I can duplicate the problem.

valkyri Guest

Unfortunately, whatever happened actually closed Word 'normally' without crashing it
    so no recovery window opened when I restarted Word.
    The help file does not give info on forcing the recovery window to open.

After shutting down my modem and ZA, I was able to reopen the 'corrupt' file.
    It only had the first part of what I had been working on which is what I had saved prior to upgrading ZA.
    Afterwards, I was able to find a recovered document of what I had been working on by doing a search on specific words used within the project.
    It came up as a .txt file and opened easily with Word.

The document was quite fractured, only had a large chunk of the info not
    in the first file, and had a lot of ASCII in it. Between the two fractured documents,
    I was able to glean out most of what I needed and could rebuild the document from there.

My recommendation to anyone that gets that first box saying anything about not being able to save the file is crash the computer forcing the recovery.
    This should work as long as you use automatic document backups, which would be crazy not too.
    I auto save every minute so under normal situations, virtually all of the document
    should be
    saved.
    Too bad that this is a bug and
    not a normal situation.

Thanks for your insight, as far as recreating the problem, just put any document on a flash drive and save it a few times, it should happen fairly quickly if your machine is susceptible to the problem.
    I suspect there are hidden triggers that may cause this to happen more frequently for some people depending on your computer.
    I cannot test it further as I deleted this version and reinstalled a previous one I know is stable.
    Just too many problems with it
    screwing up
    other programs/software.

Message Edited by Valkyri on 04-20-2008 09:20 PM

Sorry about your problem, and thanks for recommendations on how to make it fail. I have a flash drive and a memory card. I will try it on both.

Valkyri , I tried what you said you did and had no problems. I used word, and Open Office to do it. I saved a file 20 times using both each on a USB drive and a memory card. Both saved fine. I made changes each time and closed the program, reopened the program and reopened the file. Is this what you did, closing the program as well as the file? If not, try this. If you did, what version of word are you using?

loveyouforever Guest

Try updating to the latest release:

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.473.000:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...473_000_en.exe

Best regards,

loveyouforever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information