Thread: Spyware Search

jetlee Guest

Default Spyware Search

During my Zonealarm spyware searches while it's scanning it shows the file names and every file it displays is 100% harmful or unnecessary (files I don't want on my computer). Unfortunately, it doesn't show the filepath in which it's searching and the trojan/spyware doesn't get deleted or quarantined since it is apparantly
    inactive.
    Does anyone know how I can remove these files or at least where they are located (where zonealarm is searching for spyware)? They cause the anti spyware search to take
    about 90% longer than it should and some of seem quite large given the amount of time it takes to scan them. Also, Zonealarm is the only anti spyware program that I've used that scans through them, or at least that I've noticed.
    Please help, there has got to be almost 100 of these inactive trojans on my computer and they are never deleted. :mansad:
    PS. MY OS is Windows XP Media. There is no option for it below so I guess it is just missing or classified in one of the other xp OS.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Spyware Scan/ Current Data: mis-reading

Under the assumption you are a new user of ZA, when you scan and you see the dozens/ 100's
    of names of trojans next to "Current Data: trojan...
    &quot; = scrolling by; just under the Scan Details - you &quot;have&quot; mistakenly interpretated &quot;the anti-spy/ anti-virus definitons&quot; as malware being detected. Not to worry. I have seen a few other new users - who had made this similar mistake. Those 'trojans names scrolling by Current Data = are actually the spyware/virus definitions made by ZA; and after it's done you see &quot;spyware found 0&quot; and &quot; 0 Active Items&quot;<hr>You have anti-virus scans and anti-spyware scans - for each you have three options - Intelligent quick scan, Full system scan or Deep-inspection scan - you may use the quick scans daily or every other day and full/ deep scans every week or so -according to your 'own' preferences - no need to deep scan every day- which takes a long time, ok.<hr>Right click your ZA tray icon &gt; see &quot;Help&quot; = this is your User Guide - please read thru to familiarize yourself with basic operations and settings.<hr>When you get a true 'detection' there will a
    &quot;spyware/ virus
    found&quot; and &quot;
    x Active Items&quot; and info. / usually a path, etc. and recommended action. { Tip: whenever you get a 'true' detection - quarantine - instead of delete any 'possible' threat until &gt; you have gone to this forum to confirm that it valid and not a &quot;false positive&quot; - which - can occur. And usually, if a false positive is recogniazed - we will post such info. Remember to post path, and other relevant info. whenever posting inquiries }<hr>Since you have ZA Suite with Kaspersky av base, you can check possible virus detections with this link to their website &gt; http://www.viruslist.com/en/index.html .<hr>PS - on the bottom, your software version - refers to your Zonealarm product's version - like 7.0 for XP, 7.1 for Vista - it would be better to include the exact version number in your posts - like 7.0.470 or 7.0.462, etc.<hr>For first time users of ZoneAlarm -[*][*]

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - click here &gt;
    http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154
    . Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product. [ SuperTip: if you have used any free trial/ pre-installed
    security software &gt; please be sure to cancel your account -
    see/ click here &gt; http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...l?tk=nl_coxcol
    ]<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<hr>Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 4-15-08 - Check On It - Beyonce'<ul>[/list]<ul>[/list][/list]

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-15-2008 08:56 PM

Thread Information