Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Spyware Update yields TrueVector problem / ZoneAlarm XML error

waynegrunt Guest

Default Anti-Spyware Update yields TrueVector problem / ZoneAlarm XML error

My wife and I each run ZAISS, and generally no problems (that I couldn t solve) for years. However, recently she is having problems that have me stumped.
    SYMPTOMS:
    1. She gets Anti-virus updates OK, but Anti-spyware update yields this error message: Cannot parse XML file C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\ZoneAlarm.xml
    2. Approx at the same time the System Tray ZA icon goes to a solid red square with a yellow X . When I dwell the cursor on that icon, I get this info: True Vector security service is shut down
    3. When I bring up the main ZAISS window, At the top, next to Overview in red letters there is this message: System Error: Please Reboot
    4. Note difference (below) in DAT file version between the 2 computers.
    5. When computer is in this state, Internet access is denied (on her machine). I still have Internet access thru the router on my machine.

ACTIONS ALREADY TAKEN:

1. Rebooting doesn t help. Have tried many times.

2. Have reset ZAISS to factory setting on her machine, with reboot. Nothing changes.

3. Have read thru many posts on this forum about TrueVector. Seems the answer is clean uninstal, and a reinstall, but would like to avoid this if there is simpler things to try first.

Would appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks in advance.

-- waynegrunt

<hr>

DSL connection thru Westell router. 2 computers on LAN with both running the following:<p align="left">Windows XP Home SP2 (All High-Priority and Critical Microsoft Updates are current)<p align="left">Browser: Firefox 2.0.0.14<p align="left">Spyware Guard<p align="left">AVG Anti-Spyware Free<p align="left">AVG Anti-Rootkit Free<p align="left">Windows Defender<p align="left">Spybot Search &amp; Destroy Tea Timer<p align="left">?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = &quot;urn:schemas-microsoft-comffice:smarttags&quot; /&gt;Pest Patrol<p align="left">Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite v 7.0.470.000<p align="left">TrueVector security engine version 7.0.470.000<p align="left">Driver version 7.0.470.000<p align="left">Anti-virus engine version 3. DAT file version 949200184<p align="left">Anti-Spam version 5.0.6.8903<p align="left"><hr>

Computer WITHOUT problem has: Anti-spyware engine version 5.0.189.0.
    DAT file version 200804.3715

Computer WITH problem has: Anti-spyware engine version 5.0.189.0.
    DAT file version 200804.3645

Default Re: Anti-Spyware Update yields TrueVector problem / ZoneAlarm XML error

Try this
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

waynegrunt Guest

Default I will give it a shot! Thx Hoov!

Subject:
    I will give it a shot! Thx Hoov!

You have helped me before, Hoov. I will give this a shot. I will report back on this thread.

-- waynegrunt

waynegrunt Guest

Default Re: I will give it a shot! Thx Hoov!

Hello again, Hoov . . .

I followed all applicable instructions contained at the Knowledge Base Article #11433 you gave me.

None of the solutions worked, but it was worth the try. So now I am down to a &quot;clean&quot; uninstall and reinstall of ZAISS. I have the latest ZA Update Setup file (zaSuiteSetup_70_470_000_en.exe), and I downloaded the ZA_CLEAN.EXE file (version 3.2.4.9). (Thx for the link!)

I launched ZA_CLEAN.EXE and got the Verifying permission to uninstall . . . box, then the Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security Suite box that carries the Optional Survey (which I ignored). I clicked the Uninstall button in that box. After a bit, I got this warning:

TrueVector Internet Monitor was not uninstalled.

The uninstaller was not able to stop the TrueVector software services. This will happen if other software is using the TrueVector engine.

To uninstall ZoneAlarm Security Suite make sure all other TrueVector based programs have been closed.

How do I get past this road block?

I don t know how to find the program(s) that might be using TrueVector. Using Process Explorer, I noted that Pest Patrol (which I bought years ago bundled with ZA Pro) was from Computer Associates, so I closed Mem Check, Cookie Patrol, and Pest Patrol in case they were TrueVector users. Windows Explorer is closed when I launch ZA_CLEAN.

I tried ZA_CLEAN again, and no luck. Then I tried using Windows Add/Remove Programs and got the same TrueVector message.

Any ideas?

-- waynegrunt

waynegrunt Guest

Default FIXED! -- Thanx again for your help!

Hoov . . .

I got past the road block -- kinda by accident.

Wife wanted to check email on her machine, so I shut off the DSL connection, then shut down ZAISS, then enabled Windows Firewall. I went back online to allow her to check her email (Thunderbird). After that, I shut down DSL again, close Thunderbird, etc, and thought I'd give another go with ZA_CLEAN.EXE.

Well, after clicking the Uninstall button, Windows Firewall -- which was still running -- pops up with an alert that says Windows Firewall is blocking TrueVector! It askes me if I want to have it continue to block TrueVector, or allow TV to run. I really didn't know which to pick. So I flipped a coin and made Windows Firewall unblock TV.

That did the trick! The uninstall zipped right along and finished up with no further probs. My reinstall went without a hitch too. Got ZAISS all configured the way I like and all seems to be working now.

Thanks again for your prompt help and expertise!

-- waynegrunt

garywa Guest

Default Re: FIXED! -- Thanx again for your help!

I've read in many places not to have 2 firewalls running at the same time.
    For as long as I've had ZASS installed, I've had the Windows XP Firewall turned off.
    Any other antivirus/antispyware programs I have installed (Ad-Aware 2007 &amp; Spybot S&amp;D) are on-demand scanners and are not memory resident running in the background along with ZASS.
    I don't even have Tea Timer running.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>garywa wrote:
    I've read in many places not to have 2 firewalls running at the same time. For as long as I've had ZASS installed, I've had the Windows XP Firewall turned off.Any other antivirus/antispyware programs I have installed (Ad-Aware 2007 &amp; Spybot S&amp;D) are on-demand scanners and are not memory resident running in the background along with ZASS. I don't even have Tea Timer running.Just my 2 cents worth.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <LI>

1- have you properly un-installed any previous firewall and/or anti-virus?? = this needs to be done - click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...message.id=154. Most new pc/laptops come with pre-installed security software, which should be properly un-installed prior to installing any ZoneAlarm firewall product.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<LI>Caution if you use any of the new hybrid "Anti-spyware with Anti-virus software" - like Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware or PCTools SpywareDoctor with Integrated AntiVirus, or SunbeltSoftware CounterSpy with VIPRE, etc. = the anti-virus portion may cause conflict with your main AntiVirus software. <HR>Other Helpful Hints:<LI>http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=154</LI>--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000

TrueVector version:7.0.470.000
    Driver version:7.0.470.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:949249821
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200804.3715
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

waynegrunt, you fixed it yourself, I just nudged a bit. But you garywa and GeorgeV are right about the other firewall. For some reason your initial installation must have been bad, as for the most part you will at least get a warning that the windows firewall senses another firewall. You may want to make sure that any preinstalled firewall is fully removed (other than the windows one). Most companies have some kind of cleanup utility or instructions on how to do it.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

waynegrunt Guest

Default More than one anti-spyware is good? ...or bad?

Thanks, everyone . . .

My wife's computer did come with Norton pre-installed (as did mine). But I am confident I fully uninstalled it. I wager I used the Norton Removal Tool, but it has been a long time ago.

Regarding two firewalls running at the same time, I know better, and I don't do that. (In fact, there's a check-box somewhere in ZAISS that tells ZAISS to turn off Windows Firewall. I have that box checked on both machines.)

I temporarily activated Windows Firewall on her machine only because she wanted to quickly check her email for a few minutes. Since her tainted ZAISS application was not even letting her connect to our DSL through our router, I had to shut down ZAISS so she could get online.

I felt that letting her connect to the DSL with ZAISS shut down would expose her uneccessarily (even for a few minutes and behind the router). So I turned on Windows Firewall to protect her machine for a few minutes while she checked mail.

After she checked her mail, I turned off our DSL before trying ZA_CLEAN, but inadvertently left Windows Firewall on. (ZAISS was still shut down.) Good thing I did, 'casue that's how I got past my road block during the re-install of ZAISS.

IF I MAY ASK YOU GUYS . . .
    Regarding two anti-virus applications running at the same time, or two (or more) anti-spyware applications running at the same time, I have some questions and invite your comments if you are willing.

ANTI-VIRUS
    I have read that one anti-virus scan will often miss some malware, and it is a good idea to run a scan by a different anti-virus program to see if it picks up things missed by the first one. I was under the impression that, when ZAISS is up and running (with tight settings) it is &quot;active&quot; on my system. But I thought freebies like AVG Anti-Virus Free and Windows Defender were passive until I launched them to do a scan.

ANTI-SPYWARE
    Do you think I have too many anti-spyware programs going at the same time? I am not sure which ones are &quot;active&quot; and which ones will simply do a scan for malware when invoked.

I am a security freak ( --- more so on my machine vs my wife's, so not all this stuff is on her machine).

In addition to the list I gave on my first post (which I repeat below):

Spyware Guard
    AVG Anti-Spyware Free
    AVG Anti-Rootkit Free
    Windows Defender
    Spybot Search &amp; Destroy Tea Timer

In addition to the above list, I have Spyware Blaster,
    Ad-Aware 2007 (which I just bought),
    Ice Sword (a free anti-rootkit scanner)
    Pest Patrol (PP's MemCheck and Cookie Patrol are active I think).
    The AVG Anti-Rootkit Free is only a scanner, I believe.

Also I have Mischel's Trojan Hunter and Spy Cop installed and I launch those programs and run those scans from time to time (after updating, of course).

I can say from experience a spyware scan by ZAISS will sometimes not detect some spyware items that will be caught by one or another of the other spyware scans. I will admit, that only rarely -- like once a year? -- do I catch anything above a &quot;Medium&quot; risk or threat on either machine.

I thought that as many layers as possible was good. I was surprised that you don't have Tea Timer running, garywa.

I welcome any thoughts. -- waynegrunt

PS: GeorgeV, thanks for the links. I went through them carefully, and changed some ZA settings accordingly.

Default Re: More than one anti-spyware is good? ...or bad?

Hi!'
    you can run as many tools as you want but only 'on demand' and not real-time.
    So you should have ONE (1) real time protection (for viruses, spyware, malware, etc) and as many as you want turned OFF and only used when you need them.

The issue is, are you 100&#37; sure you can de-activate tools completely and run them only on demand.
    Some of the tools do not shutdown their services even if they are OFF.

Why is bad to have more realtime scanners?
    Because they block each others fighting to be the first to detect and clean malware.
    End result? Malware not detected or malware detected but nor removed, i.e. less security.

A good security strategy? Keep it simple and use complementary tools.
    You are afraid ZASS is not enough? Combined it with a Sandbox like tool.
    E.g. Latest ZA Force Field works very well in combination with ZASS

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-21-2008 12:44 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information