Thread: Several files fail AV scan when AV Scanning Errors in Log Settings is checked in

eliuri Guest

Default Several files fail AV scan when AV Scanning Errors in Log Settings is checked in

Hello:

I just updated to ZASS 7.0.470.000

I initially set the Log Viewer via:

Main-->Advanced -->Alert Events

to show AV scanning errors.

After my first full system scan, I find entries in the AV log that a number of files were not able to be scanned, generally on account of the following error:

"Error: The Handle is invalid"

A few examples of several such files are:

AV/treatment,2008/04/19,22:01:32 -4:00 GMT,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default,Scan Failed,Manual
    AV/treatment,2008/04/19,22:01:32 -4:00 GMT,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG,Scan Failed,Manual
    AV/treatment,2008/04/19,22:01:32 -4:00 GMT,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM,Scan Failed,Manual
    AV/treatment,2008/04/19,22:01:32 -4:00 GMT,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG,Scan Failed,Manual
    AV/treatment,2008/04/19,22:01:32 -4:00 GMT,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY,Scan Failed,Manual
    AV/treatment,2008/04/19,22:01:32 -4:00 GMT,,C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG,Scan Failed,Manual

>>>>>>>>

However, when I set the Alert Events settings back to the ZASS default, so that AV Scanning Errors is unchecked, and repeat the same scan, no such scan failures are in the log for those later scans.

QUESTIONS:

Why couldn't some of those files be scanned?

What does: "Error: The Handle is invalid" mean?

Thanks in advance:

-Eliuri

Windows XP Professional Edition SP2

Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.470.000

Operating System: Windows XP Pro
    Software Version: 7.0
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by eliuri on 04-20-2008 03:51 AM

Message Edited by eliuri on 04-20-2008 03:53 AM

Default Re: Several files fail AV scan when AV Scanning Errors in Log Settings is checked in

Hi!this is normal.... file busy/locked by the system/OS will not be checked.If the alert is OFF by default there is a reason... i.e. don't give false alarms to users.Just put the Alerts to OFF, you are fine... relax and enjoy your latest version.You may want to move the scan priority to HIGH (advanced settings of the ZA AV/AS tab) if you see the scan is slow...Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

eliuri Guest

Default Re: Several files fail AV scan when AV Scanning Errors in Log Settings is checked in

Thanks Fax:

So can I safely assume that :"Error: The Handle is invalid" in those scan error alerts refers to the files simply being locked from the AV scan?

In other words, its not an indication of some corruption in those files?

"Invalid Handle" is a new terminology for me...But I'd just as soon forget about it and reset the alerts to the defaults, if thats all it means.

Hi!yes, this is normal and by design.System locked files cannot be scanned by the antivirus nor infected by malware.I close this thread since the issuehas been clarified.Feel free to post a new thread if you have further issues with ZA.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-20-2008 11:18 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information