Thread: ZA AntiVirus

shillelagh Guest

Default ZA AntiVirus

I run Windows XP Home with SP2, FireFox and ZASS. I've been having problems with the ZA Antivirus shutting itself off, leaving my computer vulnerable. After uninstalling, reinstalling and rebooting my computer a number of times in one day, I finally ended up uninstalling the latest update because the situation was driving me crazy. Right now I'm running version 70-462-000-en. As I was closing down my computer tonight I noticed ANOTHER error message telling me the Antivirus was shut off. I have ZASS set to update and scan my computer every day.

I have disabled the MS firewall etc and have ONLY ZASS running. Up until the last two or three ZA updates I've been really happy with the product. Now, not so much. I don't know what else to do. Why on earth would you have the Antivirus shut itself off if there's a problem? I really don't want to try to update the Antivirus and AniSpyware when the Antivirus isn't working.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZA AntiVirus

Hi!
    can you provide detailed reporting on what exactly is the error message?
    Is your system date and BIOS date correct? Please check. Are you modifying the date?

Why are you scanning everyday? not needed. What else you changed from default settings?
    Are you loading backup settings from previous version?

Are you using any other tool (optmization of registry, booting tools, cleaners) or other spyware tools, ad-ware, SpybotS&D, windows defender, spyware doctor, spysweeper, spyware blaster, other antivirus, other antipsywares... etc...

How did you removed ZA? add/remove? removing folder? using /clean switch?

More detail you provide more likely users can point you to the problem.

And.. if you have a valid license to ZA you can contact the official ZA support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-23-2008 09:38 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

shillelagh Guest

I tried to reply earlier on Wednesday afternoon and was hit with the "blue screen of death". I was able to reboot and so far my computer is working. I will be speaking with my tech friend about that later today.

To answer your questions:
    System date is correct and the BIOS should be. I had the computer serviced a few weeks ago after I replaced the CMOS battery because it died. I'm not modifying the date.

Okay, I've reset the scanning to be once a week, and will do it monthly if you think that's enough. I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean about backup settings from previous version. I'm just a regular person who loves her computer.

Only other tool I'm using is CCleaner every couple of weeks, as recommended by the tech who serviced my computer. I rely on ZASS for everything - firewall, AV, AntiSpyware and email protection.

I removed ZASS by add/remove in the Control Panel, then reinstalled. I have a valid registration key which was provided by my ISP who provides ZASS to all their customers.

Hi!
    I would ensure that time in BIOS is the current one and that it does not get modified between a boot or another.
    This can create problems to ZA.

BSOD is not a good sign... BSOD can corrupt the settings in ZASS and cause malfunctions.

Once you have confirmed that your system works as it should better to have a nice and clean removal of ZASS following this instructions:
    http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html
    (keep note of your license and remember to remove the folder mentioned at the end of the document)

Then proceed to install a fresh copy of ZASS. You find it here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...473_000_en.exe

Cheers,
    Fax

shillelagh Guest

Thanks so much for your help. I've printed off the instructions and will go have a look in the BIOS. Wish me luck!

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information