Thread: zone alarm free version 7.0.470.0 has mailfrontier

pammi Guest

Default zone alarm free version 7.0.470.0 has mailfrontier

When I go to process explorer and right click a process, such as csrss.exe, right click - properties - environment tab - the process points to a path: C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C\Windows\System32\ Wbem;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\Mailfrontier.
    Every system running on my computer points to the same path.
    I would like to know why this is so?
    Thank you.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

zaswing Guest

Default Re: zone alarm free version 7.0.470.0 has mailfrontier

Hi Pammy, welcome to the forum.
    It's a spam filter. Part of the installation of the free version, even though it is not enabled in free.
    Recent ZA products use mailsafe, which I've never seen. But I used to have mailfronteer in version 6 of the ZA suite.
    Here is probably all the information you need:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=42331

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=41947

Are you having problems? If so, there is a fix to unlink it, which can be found here:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...&jump=true

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 04-26-2008 08:29 PM

pammi Guest

Default Re: zone alarm free version 7.0.470.0 has mailfrontier

Hi zasuiteuser,
    I ran the fix at the site you included in your reply to my question.
    forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=gen&message.id=41947.

I restarted the computer and went to - Control Panel - System
    - Environment Variables -and the "PATH" still points to Zone Alarm Mailfrontier.
    According to
    Yong Huang (don't know who he is I just did a Google search for environment variables) but he wrote this:A
    service is always a child of SERVICES.EXE, which is a child of WINLOGON.EXE, which is a child of SMSS.EXE, which is a child of SYSTEM.
    Which is reason I went to:Control Panel -System - environment variables - path - and it still shows the exact same "path", which is very odd looking.
    Here it is:
    C:\WINDOW\system32;C:\WINDOWS;c\WINDOWS\System32\W bem;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\MailFrontier
    So if that "reg fix" worked and I restarted the computer (twice actually)
    Mailfrontier is still shown as the "PATH" for the whole System.

What do you suggest at this point?
    Thank you so much for replying to my original inquiry.

zaswing Guest

Default Re: zone alarm free version 7.0.470.0 has mailfrontier-Need GURU help!!

PATH that you see is not a property of any service. It is a property of your computer in combination with you as a user.
    You will see the same data on whatever service you click. It's a global thing.
    I gather you'd rather not see Mailfrontier there.
    Hmm, if ZA free insists it'll be there .. I really don't know, I would not touch it, unless you're having serious problems.

If the registry fix worked whatever it's supposed to do, perhaps the spam watch has been disabled.
    You could try editing the path variable in the cmd window, reboot and see what happens, but if it's needed, ZA may put it back or not work.

pammi Guest

Hi zasuiteuser,
    Thanks for all of your help.
    When I said "property"
    on my original question I was talking about the "process explorer" program from sysinternals which I run on my computer.
    It's like an overblown taskmanager.
    When right clicking on any process and choosing "properties"
    and then clicking on the "environment" tab, that's where the "path" is shown to be the one I gave you
    in my last post - the odd looking one that starts with
    C:\WINDOWS etc- - - Mailfrontier.
    In the control panel - system - advanced tab - If you click on "environment variables" that's where the "path" is shown to be pointing to
    Mailfrontier.
    I don't think this is the correct "path" for the system, since I don't have Mailfrontier and I used the reg fix you gave me in the previous post.

You said "You could try editing the path variable in the cmd window, reboot and see what happens, but if it's needed, ZA may put it back or not work.

How would I go about doing that,
    since I don't know what the correct "path" is?Thanks
    again.

zaswing Guest

You're very welcome, but I didn't help

I also use Process Explorer so I know exactly what you're looking at.
    Ditto, computer properties.

The part I do not know, is what to do.
    I thought if you want to try, just in the cmd or computer properties window, remove it and watch what happens after rebooting.
    If you save the path in notepad someplace, you can always bring the whole thing back and reboot.

Do you use Outlook or Outlook Express? If so is there a ZA icon of some sort about the spam filter?
    I still don't know if or what the problem is, and hope one of the GURUs will pitch in.

Thing is, I used to have mailfronteer as part of ZASS, but in ZA-AS I don't. I just looked at the installation log, and the registry, and there's no trace that I could help you with. Sorry

pammi Guest

Hi again zasuiteuser,
    Well, maybe there's nothing to worry about.
    It just seems odd.

When you open process explorer, and right click a process - say Explorer.exe
    - go to properties - environment - go down the list - what is listed on the "path" information in your computer.
    Just curious.
    Maybe I worry too much.
    Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information