Thread: Photoshop installation file causing unusually long slowdowns due to ZA On Access virus scanning.

splittle Guest

Default Photoshop installation file causing unusually long slowdowns due to ZA On Access virus scanning.

I'm using XP with ZASS (first 462, now 470) on a P4 2.5 Gig with 1GB RAM.
    I
    downloaded a
    Photoshop CS3
    installation file from Adobe a while back (ADBEPHSPCS3_WWE.exe.)
    Recently, I've discovered that some major slowdowns are being caused by ZA "looking" at this file.
    I am unable to manipulate this file in any manner without having to wait several minutes for the function to respond.
    For example, I simply right click on the file, and it takes several minutes for the menu to pop up.
    I then hit "Properties," and it once again takes several minutes for the Properties window to pop up.
    I change to a different tab -- again, I have to wait several minutes to see the new tab pop up.
    During each of these slowdowns, the only activity I can see in the Task Manager is "ScanningProcess.exe," which jumps between 10 and 80% for the entire time.
    When the function responds, the "ScanningProcess.exe" activity stops.
    On top of this, ZA never seems to "remember" that it's already scanned the file -- it does the exact same thing the next time I right click on it.
    It's a large file (463MB), and it probably needs to be uncompressed for it to be scanned, but shouldn't ZA "remember" that it's been scanned and let me right click on it without having to wait several minutes before I see the menu pop up?
    To try to alleviate this issue, I did a /clean /rmlicense uninstall of ZASS (462), along with the "Easier Uninstall Instructions" on this site which include a group of files to search for and delete, and the "zabegone" registry cleaner file.
    While ZASS was off the system, the slowdown problems went away, but as soon as I installed 470, they came back.
    I also re-downloaded the file from Adobe a few times, but the files all behave the same way.
    I've also done chkdsks on all the drives, which didn't show anything out of the ordinary.
    The "extended database" setting in ZA makes no difference.
    Note that this was not an issue when I first downloaded the file from Adobe a few months ago.
    Sometime between then and now this issue started.
    <strike>Also, I have a second system where this doesn't seem to be an issue.
    This other system is a Core 2 Duo 3Gig, which is a lot faster, but the P4 shouldn't (and wasn't until now)THIS slow.</strike> [UPDATE:
    It turnes out the other system DOES do it -- it just stops mometarily after doing a manual scan, and returns after the next boot.]
    I feel like there may be something going on with the system that is causing ZA to choke on the file, but I can't figure out what this might be.
    I would have expected the behavior to go away after the clean uninstall/reinstall if this was a ZA issue, but I just don't know where to look.
    All I know is that the only way to stop the issue is to turn off the ZASS virus scanner.
    Thanks for any help with this,
    Larry

Message Edited by splittle on 04-29-2008 03:31 PM

Message Edited by splittle on 08-14-2008 05:08 AM

Message Edited by splittle on 08-18-2008 05:26 PM

splittle Guest

Default Re: Photoshop installation file causing unusually long slowdowns due to ZA On Access virus scanning.

Update:
    The second system IS doing the same thing now.
    It's not quite as bad as the slower system, but it still takes a couple minutes for the menu to
    pop up after
    right clicking on the file, and then another couple minutes for the
    &quot;Properties&quot; window to show up after I select &quot;Properties,&quot; and then ANOTHER couple minutes to change tabs.
    I just don't understand what's going on here.
    It seems as if a virus scan definition update caused this behavior since the same file was not doing this before.
    I've re-downloaded the file from Adobe, but the same thing happens, and a bit by bit file compare of all these different downloads has show all the files to be identical.
    Thanks again for any help with this,
    Larry

Message Edited by splittle on 04-29-2008 03:30 PM

Message Edited by splittle on 08-14-2008 05:08 AM

splittle Guest

Default Re: Photoshop installation file causing unusually long slowdowns due to ZA On Access virus scanning.

Just to update again, I tried manually scanning the file, at which point the lags seemed to go away even with on access scanning on, but after a reboot, the lags came back.
    Every time I do ANYTHING with the file, I have to wait several minutes.
    If I want to simply delete the file, I highlight it, then click &quot;Del,&quot; at which point the &quot;ScanningProcess.exe&quot; churns away for a few minutes before the
    &quot;Confirm
    Deletion&quot;
    box finally comes up.
    Thanks again,
    Larry

Message Edited by splittle on 08-14-2008 05:09 AM

splittle Guest

Any ideas on why ZASS causes such dramatic slowdowns with this file?
    I tried a Core 2 Duo 3Gig with 2GB DDR3 memory and it took over two minutes for the right click menu to come up, then another couple minutes for the properties page to come up, then another couple minutes to change tabs.
    I close everything and start over, and the slowdowns occur again.
    For comparison, I tried another virus scanning program, and these slowdowns do not take place.
    I understand that ZASS may be being much more thorough, and that this is a large, compressed file, but to take over 6 minutes just to bring up the &quot;Version&quot; tab for this file just seems like something that shouldn't happen, especially on a Core 2 Due 3Gig with plenty of fast memory.
    The delay is long enough that the system thinks Windows Explorer has stopped responding.

Attempting to copy this file over a gigabit connection doesn't work because the delay causes the target system to think the connection has timed out.
    The result is that the network connection is completely broken until I reboot BOTH systems.
    All this is happening because the virus scanner is taking SO long on this file.
    The only solution is to turn virus scanning off (or at least &quot;on access&quot; scanning), if I want to do ANYTHING with this file, including simply cutting and pasting it, or even just checking for the file properties.
    If anybody wants to test this, the file is the Photoshop CS3 installer from Adobe (ADBEPHSPCS3_WWE.exe.)
    I've tried three systems now, and I'm seeing the same problem on all three of them.
    Thanks,
    Larry

Message Edited by splittle on 08-14-2008 05:09 AM

lalittle Guest

Now that I've updated to 483 and the latest
    AV updates, I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone might be able to offer some feedback on this issue.

I'm trying to
    figure out
    if this is expected behavior or if it's a bug that I should report to ZoneAlarm.
    Just to recap, In order to check the version info for certain files (in this case, the photoshop installer file ADBEPHSPCS3_WWE.exe) it takes over 10 minutes -- a few minutes for the right-click menu to come up, then a few more minutes for the &quot;Properties&quot; page to come up, then another few minutes to change tabs, and finally a few minutes to simply &quot;close&quot; the properties window.
    I've seen this on 3 systems now, one of which is a DDR3 Core 2 Duo 3Gig E8400, so it's not a unique problem, and it happens even on a relatively fast system.
    I also checked on a laptop that has a different AV program on it, and this does not happen with that scanner.
    Note also that turning off the ZASS On Access scanner stops this issue.
    Is
    ZA is simply being more thorough than the other scanner and scanning a compressed file that takes an extremely
    long time for ZA to uncompress, or is this some sort of actual bug where certain files cause ZASS to take unusually long when scanning them?
    It just feels like it shouldn't take so long to manipulate a file when the installation of PS itself doesn't even take this long.
    Also, as I mentioned above, I can get the behavior to stop temporarily by manually scanning the file, but after a reboot the long pauses re-occur.
    I had thought that the Kaspersky engine was supposed to &quot;remember&quot; that it had scanned files and skip them on future access, but with this file this only appears to happen until I reboot, and until I do the manual scan, the long pauses happen every time I touch the file.
    If anyone wants to check for this issue themselves, I believe that the same file (or at least a similar file) can be downloaded from Adobe as a &quot;trial&quot; version of the Photoshop CS3 software.
    Thanks again to any of the experts for any feedback on this,
    Larry

Message Edited by lalittle on 08-14-2008 05:05 AM

Message Edited by lalittle on 08-14-2008 05:09 AM

Hi!yes, its normal.. next version (ZA 8)will include an exclusion for the 'on access' scanning by file...So if you need to check the same large installation file (for whatever strange reasons) you will add it to theexclusion list.It will be nevertheless useful you report this to techinical support at www.zonealarm.com/tsform So it can be troubleshoot and corrected for future versions (without the need of excluding the version)Cheers,FaxP.S. yes KAV engine remembers that he has scanned a file but for security reasons this information is remove at every boot (this is the implementation of KAV done by ZA)

Message Edited by fax on 08-15-2008 12:31 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lalittle Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!yes, its normal.. next version (ZA 8)
    will include an exclusion for the 'on access' scanning by file...So if you need to check the same large installation file (for whatever strange reasons) you will add it to the
    exclusion list.

It will be nevertheless useful you report this to techinical support at www.zonealarm.com/tsform
    So it can be troubleshoot and corrected for future versions (without the need of excluding the version)
    Cheers,FaxP.S. yes KAV engine remembers that he has scanned a file but for security reasons this information is remove at every boot (this is the implementation of KAV done by ZA)

Message Edited by fax on 08-15-2008 12:31 AM
    <hr></blockquote>Thanks FAX.
    It's not that I need to &quot;check&quot; it all the time -- it's that even doing simple things like moving the file takes several minutes.
    I had to copy the this file to a new system in order to install PS, and the process of copying the file took longer than the actual PS installation did.
    Also, this is not the only file that does this -- it's simply a particularly good one to use to demonstrate the problem.
    I'll go ahead and report this through official channels, but my experience with doing this in the past has been that I simply get an automated response that
    doesn't really address the issue in question, so I'm never clear whether or not a live person has
    actually read the report.
    Thanks again for the response,
    Larry

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>lalittle wrote:
    I'll go ahead and report this through official channels, but my experience with doing this in the past has been that I simply get an automated response thatdoesn't really address the issue in question, so I'm never clear whether or not a live person hasactually read the report.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They are real persons sited in US, doing real support to ZA.You need to follow what suggested and come back to them if the issue is not resolved.Failing to do this willnot engage the process of escalation in case of bugs.It does this on very very big files, typically installation files like service packs etc...Unless you install those files every 5 minutes or move these files often for whatever reason then its not something it should happen often.You can download the latest ZASS beta (www.zonealarm.com/beta). Test it and report to beta feedback link (http://www.zonealarm.com/betafeedback). The feedback will go directly to ZA developers.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 08-15-2008 11:48 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lalittle Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    They are real persons sited in US, doing real support to ZA.You need to follow what suggested and come back to them if the issue is not resolved.Failing to do this will
    not engage the process of escalation in case of bugs.
    It does this on very very big files, typically installation files like service packs etc...Unless you install those files every 5 minutes or move these files often for whatever reason then its not something it should happen often.
    <hr></blockquote>I followed the tech support link you provided and submitted a detailed report of this issue to Zonealarm (just in case there are some aspects of certain files that cause longer pauses than &quot;normal.&quot; )
    I don't run into this &quot;every 5 minutes,&quot; but recently I've been updating and/or switching over to some newer systems, and with all the copying and moving of files and folders going on, I've actually run into this issue a
    lot more than
    one might expect.
    Also, the issue sometimes causes side effects that I have to remember are due to ZASS and not an actual &quot;error,&quot; such as Windows thinking that Windows Explorer is not responding when in fact it's just ZASS taking a
    really long
    time to scan a file.
    Thanks again,
    Larry

Message Edited by lalittle on 08-18-2008 05:24 PM

Thread Information