Thread: Norton AV Suite contract almost done - what Zone Alarm should I look at?

rozmund Guest

Default Norton AV Suite contract almost done - what Zone Alarm should I look at?

OS XP Professional - 2 GB ram - my Nortan AV Security Suite is old 2003 version
    and will be gone at the end of the month. I currently use and enjoy ZoneAlarm Pro -
    Uniblue Spy Eraser, Spybot and Uniblue Registry Cleaner, plus CCleaner by Piriform.
    So looking for new good antivirus now. AVG new version 8 is a 45 MB download, but
    then it is free. Need some advice as to direction to take. Funds are an issue.

Many thanks from Newbie on Forum.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Norton AV Suite contract almost done - what Zone Alarm should I look at?

Internet providers give out free security (although this would be my last choice).

Look here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html

But the antivir/avira would be my first choice. Set it to update every day or second day - the free version servers are often slow, but still function. If the nag screen bothers you too much, then do this or just google avnotify disable:

Disable the Antivir popup nag screen.

Windows XP Home and Pro:

1. Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
    2. Log in using the Administrator account
    3. Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
    4. Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
    5. Under the Permissions folder you will see all of the users. Start with the first user .
    6. Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok
    7. Now perform step 6 for all of the other users-> apply-> yes/ok-> close all open windows
    8. Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)

Plus on the majorgeeks page are the symantec/norton removal tool to be run after the norton antivirus is uninstalled. This will remove the little bits still left behind and clean up the windows. Highly recommended.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: Norton AV Suite contract almost done - what Zone Alarm should I look at?

As usual Guru Oldsod gives out solid and accurate advice. I must agree with him on Avira, a wonderful free AV.
    Good luck

rozmund Guest

Many thanks OldSod - when I install your suggestion is there a thorough way I can
    remove Norton Suite from my set - ?

Just uninstall the NAV in the Add and Remove in the Control Panel first, reboot, and then use the removal/cleanup tool and reboot.
    Then delete the removal tool and clean the Recycle Bin.
    Optional or extra is to then follow up with the CCleaner found also at major geeks web site (I prefer the lean not toolbar edition). Use the file and reg cleaning and then reboot.

Occasionally the uninstall of norton will damage the window's script.
    This can be repaired here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Usually a disk check and a system file check and a disk defrag is good procedure after unstalling a major application or before installing a major application. See disk check and system file check advice given here:

http://www.castlecops.com/t175258-Sl...e_malware.html

Now the PC is relatively clean of the previous norton and is basically ready for another antivirus installation.

Googling "norton uninstall" or something to that effect should yield results.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

rozmund Guest

Thank you again Oldsod - guru - you have given me plenty of guidance - sounds
    like a great rainy day project (via dial up) of which we are supposed to have
    for the next 3 or 4. Much appreciated.

It is raining right now and rain will continue for the next several days as well.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thank you Guru Greb.
    After working the forum for a few years, I think I am finally starting to get the hang of it.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information