Thread: ZoneAlarm crashes/restarts computer when virus file found on network drive.

lokimon Guest

Default ZoneAlarm crashes/restarts computer when virus file found on network drive.

So I realize that ZoneAlarm does not work on network drives, which I'm glad I found out about before I bought it.

But... It probably shouldn't crash and restart your computer when it finds a virus file on a network drive.

I copied the eicar.txt test virus file onto my z drive, which is a home network mapped drive on the file share.
    If I double click the file, I get a bluescreen and an automatic restart.

If the test virus file is on my local drive, it correctly gets quarantined.

Just thought someone here should know.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZoneAlarm crashes/restarts computer when virus file found on network drive.

Hi!weird, first time I hear about a BSOD on external drive.Have you tried to boot your system only with ZA and standard MS windows/services and see if you get the same?To me it sounds more a conflict with something running.Do this:1.) Click Start -> Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computerHow does it work? Still BSOD? If yes, then indeed ZA has a problem...
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-03-2008 08:04 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

lokimon Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm crashes/restarts computer when virus file found on network drive.

I did as you asked, and it still bluescreened and restarted.

I should also note that this is a new install of Windows XP Pro as of yesterday, so there isn't a whole lot installed on it yet.

Hi!well, we tried... :8}Last try is to update to the latest version (clean install).The latest version is 7.0.473.000.If you are already on 7.0.473.000 then ignore this message.Fax

lokimon Guest

yep... That's the version I'm running. Just downloaded it today.

OK.. thanks for confirming... end of storyZA is not good for your configuration Good that you used the trial to check it!Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-03-2008 09:03 PM

lokimon Guest

Well, I looked around... Didn't find anything I like better..

Is there any Zone Alarm product that will work with a mapped network drive? Should be such a simple thing.

Make sure the mapped drive IP is set as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the ZA and the Privacy in the ZA is disabled. Now try the scan of the networked drive.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

lokimon Guest

Mapped Drive is in the trusted zone.

Under Privacy, Cookie Control, Ad Blocking, and Mobile Code Control are off.

lokimon Guest

Looks like this is reproducible...

I just tried on my other computer, and it also rebooted.

Just create the eicar.txt virus test file and put it on a mapped drive. Double click it and it reboots.

Thread Information