Thread: Slow startup time after upgrade to 7.0.740.000

gristle Guest

Default Slow startup time after upgrade to 7.0.740.000

I am running Win XP Home Version 2002 Service Pack 2, v.2096
    With ZA Security Suite 7.0.462.000, OS boots normally.
    After upgrade to ZA Security Suite 7.0.740.000, startup of OS takes several minutes (desktop background is drawn; no icons, no Explorer bar.. wait several minutes like this and then everything continues).

Investigating the System Logs;

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    KLIF

The KLIF service failed to start due to the following error:
    The specified procedure could not be found.

The TSP service failed to start due to the following error:
    The specified procedure could not be found

After the system is started, everything appears to run ok.

I have found no other hits on these exact messages, although KLIF is referred to in several other posts regarding the install/upgrade of ZA. Please note the install completes successfully.

I have tried to use the uninstall /clean /rmlicense.
    I have now reverted to 7.0.462.000, boot time is normal.

I notice that the errors are present for KLIF and TPS after reverting to 7.0.462.000, but the start up time is normal (desktop background + icons + explorer bar all appear within seconds).

Any suggestions?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Slow startup time after upgrade to 7.0.740.000

Hi!
    KLIF is the main kernel driver of the ZASS antivirus. The fact that is not loading its a serious issue.
    Your antivirus is missing its main system drivers. I wonder how it manages to work.

Are you sure its not KL1 instead not loading (this is intended and by design)?
    Are you running any other security tool apart from ZASS? Please remove it before troubleshooting issues with ZASS.
    Are you sure you are free from malware?

Better you contact ZA technical support on how to best proceed with this problem:
    www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 04-30-2008 04:52 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gristle Guest

Thanks for the prompt reply fax.
    Just reviewing your comments.
    "I wonder how it manages to work"
    I get the errors (previous post was a paste from System logs - and checking error logs from this boot reports the same errors) yet I check the status of ZASS and it reports "All Systems Active". I also see the normal ZASS activity; firewall prompts etc.

"Are you sure its not KL1.."
    I have double checked - there are no messages for KL1, but about 55 messages for KLIF for this boot alone.

"Are you running any other security tool apart from ZASS?"
    Nope. I have not installed any other security tool.

"Are you sure you are free from malware?"
    I was relying on ZASS for that... now I feel a bit uneasy. Let me just say that I am 100% certain that I don't think I have malware ;o).
    Is it ok to install AVG or similar to do an independent scan?

"Better you contact ZA technical support"
    Thanks, I'll post any updates back here.

gristle Guest

1st update after contacting tech support;
    The instructions were to uninstall/reinstall with the most recent version (7.0.473.000)

I followed to the letter with the same result.

Following on from the previous reply from fax I have used Sysinternals RootkitRevealer to check for anything suspicious and there are only 2 entries in the scan; registry entries with embeded nulls. I believe these to be ok. I have used ZASS to perform a full virus scan (using the latest version - I also had recently performed a full scan on 7.0.642.000) so I believe the machine is free of malware.

Hi!still KLIF errors?I think you have issues with your registry.Try to remove ZASS and then (ONLY AFTER)run the cleanup utility from kasperky:ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/utils/KIS6/R...Kav6Remove.zipand this to unregister KL drivers:ftp://ftp.kaspersky.com/utils/KIS6/R..._drv_unreg.zip(Readme files for the instructions)Reinstall latest version.Don't know if it will work but you have nothing to loose to try.Sysinternal should also see KLIF...Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-03-2008 03:09 PM

gristle Guest

No change. (only using version 7.0.742.000)
    Steps taken;

On advice from Tech support I tried netsh winsock reset

I have also tried the Kaspersky tools you referred to.

Everything still slow on start up.

Tech Support have suggested that I uninstall /clean 7.0.742 and reinstall 7.0.642; then do an upgrade.. but I hold little hope for this as I have already performed this (when I first attempted to install I did not uninstall). I'll probably have a try tomorrow night.

I have a 'gut feeling' that there maybe something missing from Win XP that ZASS requires. Note that I am not at the latest level for XP - I abandoned the updates after about 55th or 56th update resulted in BSOD on startup that I could not diagnose/recover from. I ended up doing a complete rebuild (3 times for this same problem - I kept crossing my fingers when applying the fixes.. Now I have SP 2 only and have disabled updates.

You don't know if there is a way to do a stack dump/trace of the KLIF service?
    I have had a look at the Performance monitoring/Trace options; but I can't see how to start a trace on startup.
    Just wondering if I could stumble across the procedure referred to in "The specified procedure could not be found. " to determine if it is KLIF or MS code that is missing.

Hi!
    indeed there is a command to trace klif or any service in XP/VISTA but I forgot which one is it!
    klif will call upon "klif.sys" file contained in windows\system32\drivers\

DO you have this file in the drivers folder?
    I would not trust your OS installation and restart from scratch.

Cheers,
    Fax

Thread Information