Thread: New Win2K install - can't update Anti-virus

m_moore Guest

Default New Win2K install - can't update Anti-virus

I have a brand new installation of Windows 2000 - after reformatting C: as NTFS, installing Win2K, updating to SP4 and applying Windows Updates up to 09/05/08 (UK date). Nothing else has been installed apart from a drive imaging application.
    I have then taken a Drive Image so I can return to the pre Zone Alarm Security Suite install state. I have tried installing 7.0.462.000, 7.0.470.000, 7.0.473.000 - all with the same result - the Anti-spyware updates after installing but the Anti-virus gives "The task encountered an error" each time.
    I can return to the pre ZASS drive image before trying again (and have done) so don't see why I need to go through the various methods for removing a corrupt installation - but I have also tried these - I have been trying to get this to work for days...
    Any suggestions as to why this doesn't work on a clean Win 2K
    installation with no corrupt Zone Alarm files hanging around, and any suggestions as to how to get the Anti-virus to update would be VERY gratefully received.
    Thanks!

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

srobb Guest

Default Re: New Win2K install - can't update Anti-virus

I have the exact same issue, but my Win2K install was not from an image. I get the same,"The Task Encountered an Error" when trying to update the AV/Anti-Spyware. The error only comes on the AV, NOT the Anti-Spyware. That seems to update ok. I've gone to the Instant Help section of this site and followed the instructions there to add three Host/Site's to the Firewall. They are: avu.zonelabs.com, upd.zonelabs.com and kav.zonelabs.com. This didn't help. I'm not using a proxy for this machine so any help would be appreciated.

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi SRobbWelcome to the Forum.Perhaps the following may or may not help you, but if you would like to try it, here is what I had found.PLEASE go to the following thread.http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=28296

If it will not delete the files, then try it in Safe Mode to delete the files and then re-run the update.

PLEASE let me know if this works or not, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

4. Default Re: New Win2K install - can't update Anti-virus

Thanks Slyfox, but it didn't work. Deleted everything in the Updates folder and restarted normally. Anti-Spyware updates, but NOT the Anti-virus definitions. Same error, "Task encountered an error."

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Thank you for posting back with your results. I found some more solutions that may or may not solve your issue, if you are interested into trying them or you prefer to contact ZA Tech Support. Perhaps one or two you have tried already, with no results.http://www.zonealarm.com.au/main/KB.asp?KBID=11406

http://www.zonealarm.com.au/main/KB.asp?KBID=11423

http://www.zonealarm.com.au/main/KB.asp?KBID=11433

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, THANKS.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

6. m_moore Guest

Hi,I asked the original question and have now got Zone Alarm Security Suite 7.0.473 installed and updating the virus database :-)
    I also tried what you suggested in your first reply Slyfox, thanks,
    but that didn't work for me.
    I first of all discovered that if I went back to 6.5.X then I didn't have the problem - updates worked fine. However, in order to get 7.0.X to work I did the following:1. Added a range of IP addresses corresponding to my router to Trusted Zones under Firewall in the Zone Alarm console.2. Added avu.zonelabs.com, upd.zonelabs.com and kav.zonelabs.com to
    Trusted Zones under Firewall (don't know if this made any difference)3. In Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections - LAN settings - checked "Automatically detect settings" - this was suggested by Technical Support ("Use a proxy server" is unchecked).
    After making these changes (the last of which may have been the most important), I installed 7.0.473 and antivirus and spyware updates worked fine!
    By the way, I have been able to go back to a pre-Zone Alarm state between each install of different Zone Alarm versions, as
    I took an image of the drive before installing Zone Alarm.
    Finally, just to say that this solution applied to a Win 2K install. I also have an XP computer behind the same router and have NOT needed
    to add the Zones mentioned above to
    the Firewall or to check "Automatically detect settings"
    to get 7.0.X to work!

Thread Information