Thread: "Changes Frequently" seems to be ignored

wain Guest

Default "Changes Frequently" seems to be ignored

I'm using ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, version 7.0.470.000, on Windows XP, all the latest updates. Program Control is set to "Max." and SmartDefense Advisor is set to "Auto".

For browsing and email, I use Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. However, I test beta versions, which update daily.

Every time one of them updates, ZoneAlarm pops up multiple permission requests.

But... in Program Control, I have set both applications, including any listings for beta versions and for their separate Updater applications, to "Changes Frequently". According to the documentation, this should stop ZoneAlarm re-requesting permissions after every minor update. However, this is not what is happening in practice.

Am I misunderstanding what "Changes Frequently" is for? Or is it possible there's something going wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Wayne

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

wain Guest

Default Re: "Changes Frequently" seems to be ignored

Nobody has any experience with this? It seems like a frequent problem.

Right click the application in the ZA Program list and open the Options.
    Check the first two items listed and apply and ok.

Should solve the problem.
    If not then make sure the Program Control slider is set to medium instead of high setting for a new learning of the new changes.

Alos if the application is ocnstantly getting updated and is always getting new check sums as a result, then in the Options do not use check by the file, but instead use the file path. This will make the ZA now skip the checksums of the file and instead only rely on the file location for the validations of the file.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

wain Guest

Thanks for your reply! I followed the first part of what you suggested, but it still ignroed "changes frequently", so now I've set the program control back to Auto so it can relearn. Hopefully when it sets itself back to Max it'll behave

Hi!
    Nope, setting to AUTO will reset the settings as they were initially or as stored in the remote ZA database. Be sure to set it to 'custom' and make the necessary changes.

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wain Guest

OK, thanks. I only did that because of the following instruction:

> If not then make sure the Program Control slider is set to medium instead of high setting
    > for a new learning of the new changes.

There's no "medium" on the Program Control slider, so I assumed Oldsod meant "Auto", which is in the middle and does as described.

There's no "custom" setting on the slider, either. There's a "custom" button, which allows you to enabled Advanced Program Control and Application Interaction Control (both currently off). Should I be doing something with those?

Hi!

what I meant for 'custom' is the permission for single programs under ZA program control --> Programs tab --> Smardefense column ('Auto', 'custom' and for some programs 'system').

If you want a program to keep certain settings your should be sure that the smartdefense settings for that specific program is set to 'custom' (to remember about your specific configuration changes as compared to default settings).

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information