Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi. I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions: I se...

jnewl Guest

Default Hi. I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions: I se...

Hi. I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions:

I set Antivirus to do a scheduled scan last night while I was sleeping. However, I woke up this morning, 8 hrs later, and it was still going. I think I already know the answer, but is this because I have my computer's power monitor set to go into hibernation after 2 hrs? IOW, does hibernation pause the scan? How about standby mode?

Is there a way to set Antivirus to only scan the most obvious areas, instead of doing a full system scan every time? I know you can limit it by file size, but I'd like to be able to just check boot sectors and so on daily and then do a full scan weekly or monthly.

Suggestion for ZA devs: Can you provide a progress indicator in the scanning status window? Just having a little dealie that goes back and forth isn't very helpful. Also, could you provide a way to stop the scan and pick it up from that point later on (rather than using Pause and keeping the scanner resident in memory)? Bear in mind that I'm still in the middle of my first scan, so if these don't apply for some reason, many apologies

Thank you

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Default Re: Hi. I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions: I se...

Hi!please note that ZA staff does not monitor this forum, we are all users here.You can contact ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform If you keep your ZA updated and always active you do not have to scan your system for virus very often (every month is more than enough)You can set antispyware weekly...You can UNcheck items you do not want to scan in the advanced options of the antivirus-antispyware tab, scan targets.Also set priotity of the scan to HIGH to speed up scanning (advanced options of the antivirus-antispyware tab). Do not remove the 8MB exclusion, otherwise the scan will take a looong time to finish.Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-17-2008 07:46 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tonybuck Guest

As I remarked in another thread, I installed 7.0.473.000 on a machine with manyWindows .CAB (cabinet) files, mostly fortunately old and disposable, and foundvirus scanning of each such file was taking multiple minutes for less than 2Mby.Is ZA now being so thorough with some files that it slows system scans downunacceptably or at least to an annoying amount?

Hi!yes, compressed files are decompressed on-the-fly and ALL elements within compressed files are checked for malware.This can take a long time and resources. You can deselect areas with compressed files in the 'scan targets'.Cheers,Fax

tonybuck Guest

Okay, thanks.
    That definitely corresponds with my test last night.
    On the person's machinewhere I installed 7.0.473.000, I removed 99 .CAB files, all of them (I think and hope) legacyfiles from Win98 after WinXP was installed.
    The remaining C: partition is 11635 files in6396 folders, occupying 15.7 GB.
    From a run of over 7 hours yesterday, which I abortedafter it had finished a virus scan of those 99 .CAB files, last night's virus scan went to aquite acceptable hour and a half.
    None of the removed files were close to the 8Mby sizeat which they would have not been scanned.
    On my own system, WinXP and never anything else, I have 511 .CAB files.
    I'd have a**bleep** of a time finding out where they all came from.
    Clearly, if I were to install 7.0.473.000on my machine, I'd have to tell it not to scan these files, or last night's scan of an hour andtwo minutes would balloon to way over a full 24-hour day.
    The problem then would be thatany virus-infected file of type .CAB could dwell in peace, undetected, on my machine evenif it were in fact not a cabinet, but malware that had been named with the .CAB suffix.
    There is, I think, a potential big problem here.

tonybuck Guest

Oops, make that 116355 files.
    _Nobody_ gets away with only 16000 files these days

Hi!you should considered that malware to be active need to be out of the cab or compressed file.But if this is the case then it will be killed by'on access' scanner as soon as executed.So you will be still perfectly protected (as far as your ZA is active and updated).Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-18-2008 08:53 PM

martin_rosen Guest

What are cab files ?
    I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.470.000
    on XP:
    My disk is 69.7
    GB

39.7 used
    30 free.
    It is taking many hours (I am sure it never used to) to scan for viruses.
    I leave it on while I go out, and when I return several hours later, I expect it to be finished, but it isn't.
    It slows down the whole PC so I have to skip the scan.
    Any suggestions?

(in simple terms please, I no compute techo talk
    !!).

tonybuck Guest

"Cab" is short for "cabinet".
    On my system the icon looks like a littlefile cabinet.
    Such files, under Windows, have names ending in ".CAB".One of these files will contain a number of components in packed form, readyto be unpacked during the installation of something or during an attemptto recover an important file which has been destroyed or damaged.
    Judging from the help I've received, newer versions of ZoneAlarm doa more thorough job of virus scanning by unpacking all cabinet filesand scanning the components in them.
    The cost is that this processconsumes much time and resources.

The cure seems to be to tellZoneAlarm not to scan cabinet files at all, and to rely instead on the scanningwhich will take place when and if you unpack them to install or fixsomething.

martin_rosen Guest

<blockquote><hr>tonybuck wrote:
    &quot;Cab&quot; is short for &quot;cabinet&quot;. On my system the icon looks like a littlefile cabinet. Such files, under Windows, have names ending in &quot;.CAB&quot;.One of these files will contain a number of components in packed form, readyto be unpacked during the installation of something or during an attemptto recover an important file which has been destroyed or damaged.Judging from the help I've received, newer versions of ZoneAlarm doa more thorough job of virus scanning by unpacking all cabinet filesand scanning the components in them. The cost is that this processconsumes much time and resources. The cure seems to be to tellZoneAlarm not to scan cabinet files at all, and to rely instead on the scanningwhich will take place when and if you unpack them to install or fixsomething.
    <hr></blockquote>

How do I tell it not to scan the cabinet files?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information