Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi. I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions: I se...

tonybuck Guest

Default Re: Hi. I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions: I se...

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, I've had a lot of things to deal with.First,
    a caveat.
    I'm no expert, and almost as new as you to this issue.
    Okay, here's the only way, short of deleting the CAB files, that I've comeacross so far.
    First, find
    all the CAB files you don't want scanned
    (Start, Search and so on as you've probably done when looking for filesbefore).
    Open the ZA window.
    In the left column, click "Anti-virus/Anti-spyware".Click the "Main" tab if it isn't already open.
    At the bottom right, click"Advanced Options".
    On the left, under "Virus Management", click on"Scan Targets".
    This will show you a tree of the kind you see when, insome programs, you want to open a file and the program wants you topick one.
    You probably see on one line "Local Hard Drives" with alittle box containing a "+".
    Click the plus sign and it will change to aminus while Local Hard Drives is expanded to list your drives.
    If you'relike most people, the drive with your CAB files and every other file onit will be C.
    Expand (click the "+&quot C.
    Now you have all the folders onC.
    Keep expanding folders and subfolders until you get to your CABfiles.
    I needed to expand three levels down, your mileage may vary.
    Each CAB file (and every other file in the folder) will have next to it abox with a tick mark, meaning that it will be scanned for viruses.
    Clickthe tick mark.
    It will change to a red "X", meaning that
    the file
    will not bescanned.
    The red color is to warn you that the file won't be scanned.Second caveat: you're doing this at your own risk, due to the generalprinciple that any file not scanned _might_ contain
    a virus.
    I've beentold that I shouldn't worry about CAB files, since ZA will scan anythingextracted from them at the time
    it's extracted.
    I trust that advice,but whether or not you do is up to you.
    Keep on until you've X'd all the files you want to X.
    This could turn outto be really tedious, but hopefully you won't have to do it very often.When you're through, click "OK" on the Advanced Options window(not "Cancel", or as far as I know all your work will go down the tubes).If you're through with ZA, minimize the ZA window.
    Take a well-earnedbreak.

martin_rosen Guest

Default Re: Hi. I'm a new user and I have a couple of questions: I se...

<blockquote><hr>tonybuck wrote:
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you, I've had a lot of things to deal with.First, a caveat. I'm no expert, and almost as new as you to this issue.Okay, here's the only way, short of deleting the CAB files, that I've comeacross so far.</blockquote>

Thank you Tony for your detailed response. I have just come in, so will not be doing it tonight. I am pretty tied up over the next couple of days - I will wait until I have so free time.

Regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information