Thread: Anti-virus disabled, then not engaging automatically

folsombob Guest

Default Anti-virus disabled, then not engaging automatically

Howdy,
    Windows XP ProZASS v7.0.470.000
    A couple of days ago I rebooted my computer.After I did, ZASS met with an error that the Anti-virus/spyware component did not load, possibly due to corruption.
    I Shutdown ZASS and started it again. This time the Anti-virus/spam component did load.
    However, since then, then anti-virus/spyware did not engage automatically as per the schedule.I double-checked to ensure that the drives to be scanned were selected.
    The Updates appear to have been downloaded.
    Now, I have to manually start the anti-virus/spyware each day.
    Just prior to this problem, I did download and install the latest Microsoft updates, including SP 3.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    folsombob

Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Anti-virus disabled, then not engaging automatically

I would suggest two things:
    1) Upgrade to version 7.0.473.0
    2) Perform an uninstall followed by a clean install (see below)

Download 473:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...473_000_en.exe

Uninstall followed by a clean install

1) Uncheck Overview > Preferences > Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup

2) Reboot

3) Install ZoneAlarm; when prompted, choose Clean Install

folsombob Guest

Thanks for the advice.
    I did do a Clean Install as you suggested and, for the first time, the installation worked the very first time (in the past, I had to Restart several times).
    Now, with no other changes, the Anti-virus scan takes at least thirteen (13) hours to scan the same three hard drives.
    Is this just a process of ZoneAlarm "learning"?
    folsombob

hammernu Guest

Go to Anti-virus / Anti-spyware > Advanced Options > Scan Options and set Scanning Priority to High.

folsombob Guest

Thanks, HammerNU
    IF I "Set scanning priority:" to High, what does "Faster scans, slower PC" mean?
    It would seem that the computer would run slower, but does that mean during the scan or when running in the background whilst I run memory intensive programs such as Photoshop?
    folsombob

hammernu Guest

It means that all other applications will run slower ONLY
    during a scan. Almost everyone does a scan once a week (some only once a month) and they have it scheduled to start automatically in the wee hours of the morning. That way, they don't personally experience any slowdowns which is all that really matters.
    Go to Anti-virus / Anti-spyware > Advanced Options > Scan Schedule and choose a time and interval in which to run. I have mine set like this for both viruses and spyware:
    scan for viruses and spyware (both checked)starting: Sunday 3:30:00 AMand repeating: Weekly
    ZoneAlarm, when the times are the same, will start the virus scan first and then, when finished, immediately start the spyware scan.
    I chose the 3:30 AM time because I have my Windows XP automatic updates set to start at 3:00 AM (the default).

folsombob Guest

Thanks, HammerNU
    The "Help" files aren't specific.I will now make the change.
    folsombob

Thread Information