Thread: What the heck is Trojan-Spy.Win32.Agent.cad??

sandyo Guest

Default What the heck is Trojan-Spy.Win32.Agent.cad??

This thing keeps poping up as a virus.
    Your software quarantines it or I delet it and it keeps coming back.
    If Zone Alarm can't get rid of this, I guess I will have to switch to someone who can.
    Please advise.
    I have searched my computer and do not have msserv.exe or servms.dll

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: What the heck is Trojan-Spy.Win32.Agent.cad??

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    May I suggest to perhaps run HijackThis and post here
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html
    or
    http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijack...ans_Oh_My.html

Some information about that pest - from Kaspersky
    http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/...?virusid=87903

F-secure added it to their database in April
    http://forum.f-secure.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5811

Regarding "Your software" in your post. Yeah, it's ours 'cause we like it, but bear in mind that everybody here is a user. ZA/Checkpoint just give us, users, space on the web.

You can contact, for free, Tech support and report what the issue is
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...ch_support.jsp
    They will contact you very quickly and offer help. Just have your licence on hand (Notepad) when you do, because you'll need it on the form.

sandyo Guest

Hi and thanks for the reply.
    Actually, I ended up purchasing Spyware Detector when it found the malware/spyware in question and a ton of others (big
    brother, etc.) that had been missed by ZA.

No offense to ZA.
    It found the bugger in the first place and seems to "play nice" with Spyware Detector,
    which seems to be excellent at finding and getting rid of spyware.....even the stealth ones.

I did note
    the info on Torjan-Spy.Win32.Agent at F-Secure and Kaspersky when I was searching for a way of getting rid of the thing for good.
    I used the free ZA firewall for a number of years and have always liked it.

In late 2007 I purchased the Security Suite
    and dumped Trend Micro as my virus software.

I really have no complaints with Zone Alarm as a whole.

I will use the link you provided to report the issue
    to tech support.
    Yes.....I realized after saying "your" that most forums aren't populated by the company that is hosting them
    Thanks again.

Hi!sorry to hear you have to buy a product to clean your system, probably you would have solved your problem if you would have screened the malware section.There are plenty of FREE utilities to clean your system no need to buy a product that is mostly ok (apart from conflicts, memory usage and slow performances).Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

findley Guest

Hi SandyO,
    I agree with Guru fax - there are alot of free online scanners and free ondemand scanners that remove malware; and some are better than others at what they do.
    No one piece of security software detects everything.
    One highly recommended online scanner is a-squared http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
    And one highly recommended on-demand scanner is Superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/
    Periodically using these free online scanners and on-demand scanners will keep a computer humming along nicely.
    Regards,Findley

sandyo Guest

Thanks to both of you
    I appears that a-squared is strictly a trial version and superantispy has a home version for free use.
    I have downloaded the free home version of Superantispy and will see if it can find anything that the other two missed.....that always appears to be the case with spyware software
    I suppose the one good thing about buying Spyware Detector is that it appears to have found and eliminated the Trojan that ZA could not completely corral and could not clean.
    ZA identified it as a virus vs. malware, so I'm guessing that ZA's Spyware checker is somewhat limited.
    I had tried a few others (malware destroyer, spybooka, Spyware doctor and Stopzilla), before making the Spyware Detector purchase.
    All were trial ware.....they won't get rid of anything until you purchase a license.
    Only Spyware Detector found the Trojan-Spy Agent and Big Brother and a ton of others
    that the other
    ones
    didn't find.

So far, no new incidents of ZA poping up with "found and quarantined xxxx!!".
    Hopefully the two of them will continue to work together and not get in each others way
    I'd just as soon keep them both working in the background.
    I have lots of memory and am not noticing any resource drain, so both of their background scanning footprints must be reasonable.
    I have updated this computer with every patch that covers security issues
    on SP1.
    I never did install SP2 and won't get Vista unless I have no choice on my next computer.
    Microsoft is the worlds worse when it comes to security and I do believe XP Pro was the last decent operating system they made (IMO)
    I've not heard good things about VISTA......reminds me of the ME debaucle.
    Thanks again for all your help.

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>SandyO wrote:
    Thanks to both of you
    I appears that a-squared is strictly a trial version and superantispy has a home version for free use.
    I have downloaded the free home version of Superantispy and will see if it can find anything that the other two missed.....that always appears to be the case with spyware software
    I suppose the one good thing about buying Spyware Detector is that it appears to have found and eliminated the Trojan that ZA could not completely corral and could not clean.
    ZA identified it as a virus vs. malware, so I'm guessing that ZA's Spyware checker is somewhat limited.
    I had tried a few others (malware destroyer, spybooka, Spyware doctor and Stopzilla), before making the Spyware Detector purchase.
    All were trial ware.....they won't get rid of anything until you purchase a license.
    Only Spyware Detector found the Trojan-Spy Agent and Big Brother and a ton of others
    that the other
    ones
    didn't find.

So far, no new incidents of ZA poping up with &quot;found and quarantined xxxx!!&quot;.
    Hopefully the two of them will continue to work together and not get in each others way
    I'd just as soon keep them both working in the background.
    I have lots of memory and am not noticing any resource drain, so both of their background scanning footprints must be reasonable.
    I have updated this computer with every patch that covers security issues
    on SP1.
    I never did install SP2 and won't get Vista unless I have no choice on my next computer.
    Microsoft is the worlds worse when it comes to security and I do believe XP Pro was the last decent operating system they made (IMO)
    I've not heard good things about VISTA......reminds me of the ME debaucle.
    Thanks again for all your help.

<hr></blockquote>SandyO,
    The online
    a-squared malware scanner is free at this link http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/ax/Not a trial, just a free online scan.
    I've found
    working a free online scan or two into
    my security routine can pay dividends by finding the malware earlier rather than later.
    If a computer is infected I run different scanners until I get what I believe is a clean computer.
    I don't use Spyware Detector so I can't comment on it from personal use.
    But I will say that there are alot of free scanners out there which you can use to periodically check the health of your computer.Another on demand scanner I've been using and like is MalwareBytes Antimalware it's free.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
    CastleCops has added a forum on MBAM MBAM is a new anti-malware application created and supported by several members of the online anti-malware community. MBAM has two versions, a free version that scans for and removes malware http://www.castlecops.com/f293-Malwa...i_Malware.html
    Not installing SP2 leaves you vulnerable but that's an individual decision.

I agree with you on Vista - not interested in going there - Windows 7 will probably be here sooner rather than later given the Vista issues.
    Regards,Findley

sandyo Guest

Thanks Findley
    I get it now......I'm a bit thick at times.
    I've book marked those links and will come back here from time to time as well.

On the SP2 thing:
    I know it provides a level of security that SP1 lacks.
    I just have an aversion to &quot;Microsoft upgrades&quot;
    Every time I've done one, I've ended up regretting it.
    I use to spend a lot of time &quot;tweaking this and tweaking that&quot;.......changed computers as often as I change socks......and then always the latest upgrade or refresh.
    I've gotten so &quot;Microsoft annoyed&quot; over that years, that I considered
    switching to Linux, but it just didn't have the software capability (a few years ago) that I wanted, especially for 3d graphics.

Now that I've retired, I'm a bit more frugal with my time and my money.
    That's why I will take advantage of the free on-line scans and the forum.
    I don't regret buying Spyware Detector any more than I regret paying for the ZA Security Suite.
    I think ZA has the best firewall there is.
    Never had a days worth of trouble with this one or any of the free ones and never did use the Microsoft
    firewall
    Thanks again for all your help and good advise.

findley Guest

<blockquote><hr>SandyO wrote:
    Thanks Findley
    I get it now......I'm a bit thick at times.
    I've book marked those links and will come back here from time to time as well.

On the SP2 thing:
    I know it provides a level of security that SP1 lacks.
    I just have an aversion to &quot;Microsoft upgrades&quot;
    Every time I've done one, I've ended up regretting it.
    I use to spend a lot of time &quot;tweaking this and tweaking that&quot;.......changed computers as often as I change socks......and then always the latest upgrade or refresh.
    I've gotten so &quot;Microsoft annoyed&quot; over that years, that I considered
    switching to Linux, but it just didn't have the software capability (a few years ago) that I wanted, especially for 3d graphics.

Now that I've retired, I'm a bit more frugal with my time and my money.
    That's why I will take advantage of the free on-line scans and the forum.
    I don't regret buying Spyware Detector any more than I regret paying for the ZA Security Suite.
    I think ZA has the best firewall there is.
    Never had a days worth of trouble with this one or any of the free ones and never did use the Microsoft
    firewall
    Thanks again for all your help and good advise.

<hr></blockquote>

SandyO,

You are welcome I agree with you that ZA has the best firewall there is.
    And like you my ZA experience has been trouble free and that's why I continue to use it.

Findley

zaswing Guest

SandyO,
    ZA is the best.

Since you don't have SP2 on XP, you're some 150-180 updates overdue

Don't jump in now. Some people really have had a good luck with SP3 which includes SP2 stuff. Perhaps that'll work for you - but do confirm someplace if it'll work on SP1.

NaiveMelody posted several links for reading the requirements, so do review this thread
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...&amp;jump=true

Thread Information