Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus Updates for ZASS 6.5--have they been stopped?

amethyst Guest

Default Antivirus Updates for ZASS 6.5--have they been stopped?

Just wondering...My antivirus definitions haven't updated for several days now and my antivirus is showing the red warning. The antispyware continues to update.

I contacted tech support and the reply that I got was that they heard the updates were going to be stopped, but he/she didn't know if it had happened yet. (I'm sorry if this makes me a bit irritated, but I think tech support should be able to answer the question. I think if 6.5 is not going to be supported anymore, the exact day that that support ceases should be made abundantly clear to tech support and customers alike.)

I knew it was going to happen and that I would be looking at a change or an upgrade...I just want to know if I need to rush this process now.

I've sent a separate tech support ticket for step by step instructions on how to upgrade so I hopefully don't end up nuking my poor PC in the process. ;-)

Thanks in advance for any replies...Is anyone out there still running a 6.x version of ZASS? And are you getting AV updates?

Amethyst

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-virus Vet engine version:31.1.0.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:31.1.5783.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3915
    AntiSpam version:4.8.2.7565

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

technoweary Guest

Default Re: Antivirus Updates for ZASS 6.5--have they been stopped?

I have version 6.5 and I have had no anti-virus updates for several days and have had my status bar turn red as of this morning.
    Whenever I try to update I get the "up to date" message
    yet I am now in the red too.
    I had been searching the forums for the past few days to see if I missed an official post about support for 6.5 being stopped but had found nothing so had
    been holding my breath and hoping this was just a temporary thing.
    Would also like to know if anybody could find out what is going on ?
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-virus Vet engine version:31.1.0.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:31.1.5783.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200805.3915
    AntiSpam version:4.8.2.7565

amethyst Guest

I already contacted tech support, and you know the answer I got. Maybe if you contact them with the same question you'll get a different tech who will make more of an effort to answer the question. Same goes to any other 6.x users out there.

"I don't know" is not an acceptable answer from tech support as far as I'm concerned. If a security software, or ANY software company for that matter, is going to stop support for a particular version of their software, they should be notifying their tech support staff and their customers with a definite date as to when that is going to be in effect.

I would also expect to see that information in bold typeface on the company's homepage and at the top of the pages of the user forums.

I do intend to change over, but only if/when forced...I'm VERY apprehensive about upgrading. I know changing security software is a huge deal, it's like trying to pull a spider web out of your system to remove the old stuff and I'm not looking forward to the process.

Let us know what you find out. ;-)

Amethyst

Hi!
    strictly speaking ZA support is only valid for the latest version of ZA.
    Any version before the last is not supported. This is valid within the 7th as well as any previous major release of ZA. Also note that ZA support only 2000, XP and VISTA (32bit) and not media center editions.

This is at least been posted many times by the Forum Moderator in this board whenever an issue with older versions was subject of the discussion.

So 6.5 has not been supported since the release of version 7 the same applies to version 6.1 after the release of 6.5, and so on. However, ZA has kept updates and support (on a ad-hoc bases) for the users that did not move to latest version for whatever reasons.

At this point (more than 1 year) you should not be surprised if AV updates are not anymore coming through.
    If you have issue with version 7 you should obviously not renew your subscription or report it to ZA customer/technical support.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 05-21-2008 05:54 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tonybuck Guest

Say what ("not media center editions&quot??
    I've been running ZA 6.5 underWinXP Media Center Edition since 2006.
    I'm trying to upgrade to 7.0, butam having problems (detailed elsewhere).
    I've been working under theassumption that the flavor of my OS is not the problem.
    A quote from thecorporate site, just obtained:
    "Windows XP

Supported
    All currently shipping ZoneAlarm products

will run
    without limitation on the Windows XP operating system."

amethyst Guest

When I first purchased ZoneAlarm nearly a year and a half ago, I installed it and then later wrote tech support to ask about Windows XP MCE. The tech said that ZASS would be fine with XP MCE.

It was my understanding that MCE is just a souped up version of XP pro, meaning you have this extra "media center" stuff on board. Otherwise, it really shouldn't be any different than XP Pro.

Now I'm going to go see what issues you are having with the update...I still haven't received a reply to my request for detailed instructions on how to upgrade.

Amethyst

amethyst Guest

tonybuck, where is your thread about your upgrade issues?

Amethyst

Again... Media Editions are not officially supported, of course, this does not mean ZA will not run fine. Few users however had problems...If you search the forum you will find other references to MCE and possibly (if not yet deleted since too old post) a messaged by ZA Moderator directly.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

amethyst Guest

Fax,

What does it mean, anyway, when ZA says Media Center Edition is 'not officially supported'? I mean, how does that translate in practical terms for those of us with MCE systems? Does it mean that ZA doesn't guarantee effectiveness on our particular systems, so if we have a problem, we're sort of 'out of luck'? I'm not trying to be facetious or snarky, I am just curious about what that might mean.

I don't think they mean that they won't provide tech support because they have provided that support for me thus far. Or does it mean they don't have to provide me with tech support, they're just doing it to be nice?

Is it a case of it being advisable that people with Windows XP Media Center Edition systems don't use ZoneAlarm products in the first place? Because it "might" work without problems but then again, it might not?

I did a lot of research before I decided on ZASS. Obviously I missed an important detail.

Amethyst

I really have no idea as why ZL will not officially support the Windows MCE.
    If it the couple extra executibles or the fact the OS does extra and above sharing of media files over the local area network, I really have no idea.

I do know even though they say "officially unsupported", the Technical and Customer Supports have still dealt and handled users who own the windows MCE. I have found this much out on the forum (daily posters such as myself do see a few things here and there).

I do know the MCE is just a Windows XP Pro with a few extra executibles and files.
    It is very easy to disable and uninstall these extra files and end up a pure Windows XP Pro. Although MS does not officially support this altered OS (yet the updates are available for the "hacked" OS).

The issue of the antivirus updates of the older ZA, with the eTrust (CA) antivirus, will soon come to a point where there will no longer be any updates availaible. What so ever. I would imagine or guess very soon.
    I do know the agreement where ZL would receive updates from eTrust expired some time last year, and by some grace, ZL has still obtained antivirus updates from CA.
    The eTrust antivirus used by the ZAISS and the ZA AV is at least two generations behind the eTrust official current antiviruses. Even eTrust has stopped using this ancient scanner.

The best advice that I can give is update the older ZAISS and the ZA AV to the latest ZAISS and ZA AV. I would recommend a clean uninstall and a brand new install of the newer ZAs.

Yes I know. Some will say the latest does not work as well or properly like the older version. The best advice there is do a disk check, a system file check, update the windows, uninstall the older ZA, run a few reg/file cleaners, check around for removing the last bits of the ZA and the CA, do a few cold boots, defragment the drive and let the windows "relax" a little. Turn off all the extra security and do not let those start with windows.
    Then install the new suite. It should be okay after that.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

By the way here is my ZA:

ZoneAlarm Pro version:5.5.094.000
    TrueVector version:5.5.094.000
    Driver version:5.5.094.000

and here is my antivirus (please note I did not install the mail guard, hence the dated details for the mail guard) :

Product version 8.1.00.332 4/29/2008
    Search engine 8.01.00.46 5/15/2008
    Virus definition file 7.00.04.75 5/21/2008
    Control Center 8.00.00.27 4/4/2008
    Config Center 8.00.00.17 3/4/2008
    Luke Filewalker 8.01.02.12 3/18/2008
    AntiVir Guard 8.00.01.18 5/11/2008
    Filter 7.00.01.08 2/18/2008
    AntiVir MailGuard 8.00.00.21 5/11/2008
    AntiVir MailGuard helper service 8.00.01.03 2/7/2008
    AntiVir WebGuard 8.00.13.00 4/9/2008
    Scheduler 8.00.00.12 3/7/2008