Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus Updates for ZASS 6.5--have they been stopped?

tonybuck Guest

Default Re: Antivirus Updates for ZASS 6.5--have they been stopped?

I have two threads, one on this board titled "Slow startup of 7.0.473.000",and one on the Installation board with more detail about the processesrunning during that slow startup titled "Problem installing 7.0.470.000on Sony VAIO with WinXP".
    Neither of them has received a reply yet.I ran another test today after adding a couple of IP addresses to Zonesin the Firewall section; no joy, same grief, "slow" doesn't really cover it,even after half an hour ZA hasn't got going (same 2 ZA
    processes using60 per cent CPU between them).
    Each test is an investment in time,since I can recover only by restoring my C: partition with True Image.

tonybuck Guest

I haven't actually run across the official statement that MCE isn'tsupported, I guess I haven't read in the right places.
    The quoteI mentioned earllier,
    "Windows XP Supported
    All currently shipping ZoneAlarm products

will run
    without limitation on the Windows XP operating system,."

Sounds almost like false advertising, just taken in itself, which I guess it shouldn't be.

tonybuck Guest

Considering the time I've already invested failing to get 7.0.470 or7.0.473 installed (easy) and running (very hard), I guess I shouldbuckle down and try the thorough deinstallation, cleanup andinstall route, which I've avoided up to now out of laziness.Thanks for your description of the process, Oldsod.

Hi!
    not sure I understands your doubt, not supporting means that in case of problems ZA may not be able to resolve them nor adjust ZA to deal with the problem.

This is exactly the same when we say version 6.5 is not supported by ZA. I.e. ZA cannot guarantee that they will be able to resolve issues with version 6 if issues will emerge.

Is this clear?

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Here is a post (with the dust blown off) regarding the uninstall of the ZA 6.5
    Please note I do not use the ZA ISS and most of the details are from the web or previous posts. Some file or registry key may not be included or missed.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...=125746#M74704

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

amethyst Guest

Thanks, Oldsod, Fax...

I think I'm finished with this. The process for uninstalling ZASS is extremely complicated and more than any decent company should reasonably expect of an ordinary home PC user. Norton's came up with one little .exe as a remover tool. Zonelabs certainly could have done the same thing.

I have been avoiding having to go through all of that, and I had previously decided that if I ever did have to put my computer through the harrowing ordeal of extracting ZASS, I was not going to put this software back in.

I also don't appreciate the official 'tech support' I received about this. For tech support to give the kind of answer I received is absurd. I also haven't received a response to my request for detailed upgrade instructions. I WILL be looking forward to filling out the feedback forms on these 2 tickets.

I also think it is inexcusable for Zonelabs to not give any notice that they were discontinuing the 6.x antivirus updates.

So as a customer, I'm miffed and I cannot continue to financially support a company that will treat people this way.
    At this point I'm considering other options and I've pretty much made up my mind on a different product.

Thanks, everyone, for the help and advice over the past year. You guys are great, actually better than the paid techs, as far as I'm concerned. And I understand and appreciate that you do it because you want to, not because you have to and that kind of attitude is wonderful.

Take care, surf safe :-)
    Amethyst

<blockquote><hr>amethyst wrote:
    Thanks, Oldsod, Fax...

I think I'm finished with this. The process for uninstalling ZASS is extremely complicated and more than any decent company should reasonably expect of an ordinary home PC user. Norton's came up with one little .exe as a remover tool. Zonelabs certainly could have done the same thing.

I have been avoiding having to go through all of that, and I had previously decided that if I ever did have to put my computer through the harrowing ordeal of extracting ZASS, I was not going to put this software back in.

I also don't appreciate the official 'tech support' I received about this. For tech support to give the kind of answer I received is absurd. I also haven't received a response to my request for detailed upgrade instructions. I WILL be looking forward to filling out the feedback forms on these 2 tickets.

I also think it is inexcusable for Zonelabs to not give any notice that they were discontinuing the 6.x antivirus updates.

So as a customer, I'm miffed and I cannot continue to financially support a company that will treat people this way.
    At this point I'm considering other options and I've pretty much made up my mind on a different product.

Thanks, everyone, for the help and advice over the past year. You guys are great, actually better than the paid techs, as far as I'm concerned. And I understand and appreciate that you do it because you want to, not because you have to and that kind of attitude is wonderful.

Take care, surf safe :-)
    Amethyst
    <hr></blockquote>

Amethyst, you have always been a perfect gentleman on this forum and have been always an intelligent and a very repectful poster. Not to forget also pleasant and friendly.

We really appreciate your kind words about the quality of the replies and help to be found on the forum!

Your future absence will be noted and you will be very much missed.
    Like that of a missed friend.

I sincerely hope you do give a full and correct detailed report in those feedback forms. Please, do not miss anything or leave any issue omitted.
    That previous Tech Support answer was indeed "absurb" as you have said.
    It is a pity we do not know the Tech support's proper or true real name which could be included in your report.

I hope all the best to you and yours and for the future.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Hi Tony.
    I have replied to one of your unreplied posts.
    I may even solve or at least find something for both of your posts, at the same time.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tonybuck Guest

OK, a working day later.
    The executive summary, NO JOY.In detail, I carefully followed the instructions and achieved anice clean installation that behaved the same as my otherattempts.
    ZA 7.x installs, I boot, the ZA window appears, and... it sits there, possibly forever.
    What, does anyone know, is actually happening between theappearance of the ZA window and stable operation?
    Is thesequence of events
    in there known?
    Disclosable?
    Anyway, one thing I did achieve is, while waiting the usualeternity for the ZA window to do something while its twoprocesses used around 60 per cent of CPU without everterminating, to save a True Image, which means, if anyonehas a question to answer, that I can investigate what was invarious files.
    I also saved, on an external drive, a copy of thedirectory.
    How one investigates _that_, given its 93 Mby size,is another question.
    I have all kinds of data.
    If only someone would ask a question

tonybuck Guest

To respond to the thread-title question:
    apparently not.I've now had two successful antivirus daily updates ina row, following one which apparently succeeded butfailed to update the displayed last-update date.
    Twoweeks without updates intervened (6.5.737.000).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information