Thread: Clarification on a part of the instructions given for removal of 6.5 ?

technoweary Guest

Default Clarification on a part of the instructions given for removal of 6.5 ?

I need to remove my 6.5 version of Internet Security Suite 7 and I was going over the instructions given in another thread but there is one part of the instructions I could use some clarification on ?

The part I am confused about is:
    "But there are possibilely some eTrust or CA antivirus pieces still left from the first install. So follow the instructions here to remove these.

Or just this way.....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Computer Associates\Anti-Virus

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\eTr ust Suite Personal\av

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ISa fe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run and delete any key with cavrid on the right hand panel.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VETEBOOT HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VETEFILE
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VETFDDNT
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VET-FILT
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VETMONNT
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VETMSGNT
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\VET-REC"

I clicked on the "here" link but that page is removed.
    I am embarrassed to ask this but I am a total newbie at this and I am not sure what I am supposed to do here.
    I take it these are registry keys ?
    How do I get to them ?
    And do I just delete the end part of the above lines, ie "VETEBOOT, VETEFILE, VETFDDNT,etc " ?

This is to take Zone Alarm off my computer so I can use another Virus/Firewall company; not to upgrade Zone Alarm to a higher version (I have a Win XP Media Center.)
    I don't know whether this info makes a difference in the uninstallation processor not.

Thank you for any help

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Clarification on a part of the instructions given for removal of 6.5 ?

If the set of instructions seems to be too 'complicated/ extreme' you can use some &quot;easier&quot; un-install instructions which will remove enough of ZA to still be effective. Try this...<hr>Click here &gt; http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...tallNonNT.html
    <hr>or this &gt; http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103<hr>these two have been used effectively by many users who needed to un-install and re-install or as you will - ZAbegone.

technoweary Guest

Default Re: Clarification on a part of the instructions given for removal of 6.5 ?

Thank you for the reply. I have begun the uninstallation process but have come across two problems. The first is that, although I think I have deleted most of the necessary files, there are two I am unable to delete. They are zlavscan.dll in C:\ProgramFiles\ZoneLabs\Zone Alarm\zlavscan.dll. I tried uninstalling while in safe mode and while out of safe mode.
    I also cannot uninstall vetredir.dll. It is in C:\Windows\System32\ZoneLabs\vetredir.dll.
    I get the same error message when I try to delete both files:

&quot;Error Deleting File or Folder. Cannot delete (zlavscann.dll or vetredir.dll). Access is denied. Make sure the disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.&quot;

Any help on this would be appreciated. I am at a loss as to what to do.

Also, how do you go about the process of deleting the zone alarm registry keys by creating the file &quot;zabegone.reg&quot; ? I copied and pasted the recommended text into notepad like suggested in the earlier response, but all I ended up with was a text file called &quot;zabegone.reg&quot; where when I double clicked on it I only ended up opening it as a text file and nothing happened. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you !

Thread Information