Thread: PRECISE difference between Engage Internet Lock & Stop All Internet Activity ?

dudeboyz Guest

Default PRECISE difference between Engage Internet Lock & Stop All Internet Activity ?

I am using Zone Alarm Free version 7.0.473.000.

It is working well, but I am confused by the two different options on the right-click menu I get when I am over the Z icon in the system tray. The two options in question are:

"Engage Internet Lock"

and

"Stop All Internet Activity"

Could someone please explain the PRECISE difference between these two options?

Back in the old days, I thought there was only one option, and now I do not understand the new config.

If someone could please assist me by giving me a detailed answer, I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thank you very much.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: PRECISE difference between Engage Internet Lock & Stop All Internet Activity ?

Stop all internet activity does exactly that: everything is blocked from accessing the internet, it is as if you had disconnected from the internet.
    Engage Internet lock, stops access to the internet for all apps, except those for which you have set 'enable passlock' (e.g. you might want your browser or email client to continue to access the internet but lock out everything else).
    However, I think that in ZA free 7.xxx the enable passlock has been removed. Not sure as I'm currently using ZA antispyware. You could check, as follows:In ZA, Program control, programs tab, right click on any entry, click on options: is there an 'enable passlock' entry where you could tick the box? If not, then from a practical point of view there is no difference as far as I know, between the options.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 05-31-2008 11:50 PM

dudeboyz Guest

Default Re: PRECISE difference between Engage Internet Lock & Stop All Internet Activity ?

<blockquote><hr>JRosenfeld wrote:
    Stop all internet activity does exactly that: everything is blocked from accessing the internet, it is as if you had disconnected from the internet.Engage Internet lock, stops access to the internet for all apps, except those for which you have set 'enable passlock' (e.g. you might want your browser or email client to continue to access the internet but lock out everything else).However, I think that in ZA free 7.xxx the enable passlock has been removed. Not sure as I'm currently using ZA antispyware. You could check, as follows:In ZA, Program control, programs tab, right click on any entry, click on options: is there an 'enable passlock' entry where you could tick the box? If not, then from a practical point of view there is no difference as far as I know, between the options.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 05-31-2008 11:50 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

I see a list of apps under the far left PROGRAMS column. Next to that column is the ACCESS column then the SERVER column. Under each of the ACCESS and SERVER columns are spots for TRUSTED and INTERNET.

If I right-click on the program name (anywhere on the line really), all I see is a pop up menu with 2 options:

REMOVE
    ADD PROGRAM

Is that what you are meaning? That in previous versions there would be a third option called ENABLE PASSLOCK?

I'm not sure why both of these features exist, frankly.

I'd like one single option that blocks/stops ALL traffic into and out of the machine, including Internet and Internal Network.

Is that what the &quot;STOP ALL INTERNET ACTIVITY&quot; does?

It sounds like Engage Internet Lock still lets stuff through, either incoming or outgoing, which is not what I would want.

If that option to ENABLE PASSLOCK is gone, then why would the programs leave in the ENGAGE INTERNET LOCK option at all?

Thanks

Thread Information